• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PappyZ
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2018

Is a metronome helpful?

I wanted to see if anyone has experience using a metronome for bagging practice. The reason I ask is that a metronome is a staple of the music world. For all instruments, I think. If you've ever seen the drum section of a marching band when they practice, they ALWAYS use a metronome.

Using music for the beat is undoubtedly more fun, but sometimes the rhythm is not that easy to discern.

Just curious! Thx!
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by PappyZ View Post
    I wanted to see if anyone has experience using a metronome for bagging practice. The reason I ask is that a metronome is a staple of the music world. For all instruments, I think. If you've ever seen the drum section of a marching band when they practice, they ALWAYS use a metronome.

Using music for the beat is undoubtedly more fun, but sometimes the rhythm is not that easy to discern.

Just curious! Thx!
    Absolutely! I started using one in my first week bagging. It really helped me with my timing and overall control. I still use it from time to time, I think it's a great idea. Once in awhile just for fun I'll check my max speed with it. Nailed 220 last night for a whole 17 seconds
    Last edited by BagBoy; 04-11-2018, 08:23 PM.
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• PappyZ
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
      Absolutely! I started using one in my first week bagging. It really helped me with my timing and overall control. I still use it from time to time, I think it's a great idea. Once in awhile just for fun I'll check my max speed with it. Nailed 220 last night for a whole 17 seconds
      Nice! Pretty sure neither my metronome or my hands will even go up that high, haha!!

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by PappyZ View Post
        Nice! Pretty sure neither my metronome or my hands will even go up that high, haha!!
        The $12. metronome I have is a small battery powered electronic about the size of a deck of cards. It has a volume control so when I use it I crank it up so I can hear the beeps. Came in handy during my first few weeks when all I cared about was getting as fast as I could on my U-bolt.

..I think it goes as high as 275 although I've never heard a song that fast. Or at least one that would be considered listenable.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Music is a metronome.

Comment

• BagBoy
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2018

If I'm wanting to work some aspect of my training at a particular pace, it's much easier to use a metronome rather than search for a song that has the approximate tempo I'm looking for. Plus, I get to into some songs and just want to listen to them

I can't hit to Waylon (wouldn't be in good taste to do so). And if It's Motorhead over the system I'm doing other things.
            Last edited by BagBoy; 04-13-2018, 09:29 PM.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...