• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

My MacGregor G 479

This nice piece of history arrived to me today.

Primo condition except I cannot keep air in the dang old bladder. It can hold about a pound and then looses pressure with a slow hiss.

I'd like eventually to get this old guy back on the platform, but as of now he is down for the count. All and any ideas appreciated.

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Kangaroo bags are great!

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Ah yes a long neck MacGregor. The MacGregor Goldsmith that I recently acquired has the same bladder problem, the valve is old and doesn't close all the way at full pressure. I'm eventually going to replace it with one of the Title large latex bladders

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Ah yes a long neck MacGregor. The MacGregor Goldsmith that I recently acquired has the same bladder problem, the valve is old and doesn't close all the way at full pressure. I'm eventually going to replace it with one of the Title large latex bladders
        Is there something similar to fix-a-flat that can be used in an old bladder like this? On the one had, I understand it is a very old leaky valve and I should not waste the effort on it. On the other hand, this bag might be as old as I am, and it would be a real joy to get the thing kicking after all these years on the shelf. Know what I mean? It came in the original box, and has that old sporting goods store smell.

-Rusty
        p.s. Dutchman, is there any way I can figure out the year this bag was manufactured? The bag and box have the Brunswick logo along with the MacGregor name.
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Brunswick acquired MacGregor in 1958, so it's no older than 58 years old. It looks typical of the output of the late 1950's, early 1960's production. The non golf line of MacGregor (the old Goldsmith line) had ceased to be by the time that Brunswick sold MacGregor to the Wicks Corporation in 1979
          Last edited by Dutchman; 12-12-2016, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

As far as the leaking valve, about the only viable thing to do is make a plug for it. I use a Q tip swab stick cut to about 3/4". I've found that it's long enough to seal the valve, and still have enough to pull it out to ocassionally re inflate the bag. The sealer that sporting goods store for fixing flat soccer balls all seem to have the warning "Do not use with balls that have bladders", so there is something in the stuff that doesn't work for our needs. Probably dissolves latex rubber as that is what a lot of valves are made of. Wouldn't affect butyl rubber

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Brunswick acquired MacGregor in 1958, so it's no older than 58 years old. It looks typical of the output of the late 1950's, early 1960's production. The non golf line of MacGregor (the old Goldsmith line) had ceased to be by the time that Brunswick sold MacGregor to the Wicks Corporation in 1979
              OK, somebody say to me "way to go, Sherlock." This bag came in the original box, and a year was stamped on the bottom of the box. Duh.

1962, an excellent year for boxing. Dutchman, you called it very close. Thanks!

-Rusty
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                NICE, What size would that one be considered ?
                It is 8x13 and weighs 10oz.
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

As far as the leaking valve, about the only viable thing to do is make a plug for it. I use a Q tip swab stick cut to about 3/4". I've found that it's long enough to seal the valve, and still have enough to pull it out to ocassionally re inflate the bag. The sealer that sporting goods store for fixing flat soccer balls all seem to have the warning "Do not use with balls that have bladders", so there is something in the stuff that doesn't work for our needs. Probably dissolves latex rubber as that is what a lot of valves are made of. Wouldn't affect butyl rubber
                  I managed to get a little Hive brand lib balm on a needle and up into the valve. I think between that and getting a needle in an out of the valve is loosening it up and it is making a pretty good seal now.

My next task is to get a proper conditioner or oil on it. It's old 'roo leather, slightly abraded in a few spots, and the leather lace looks pretty delicate. I have read (and been told) mink oil and perhaps a mineral oil are good for the old 'roo leather bags. I welcome any input.

Thanks,
                  -Rusty
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

As far as conditioning the leather, if it's as sound as it appears, definitely go with what ventanakaz recommends, he has a lot of experience when it comes to this. I acquired a Spalding bag from him that he conditioned, and the best way to describe it is magnificent.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2016

Dutchman, I think I am in luck! The MacGregor 'roo bag has held pressure for 2 days with very little loss.

My next step will be the ventanakaz mink oil paste and then let it rest for a few weeks. Heck, it has been in the box since '62. What is a few more weeks?

-Rusty
                      @ArcSwivel
                      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

Do you ever treat the inside of the bag?
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

ventanakaz and Dutchman,

After a week on the standby hook, this old bag lost its pressure just sitting there. I think my efforts to re-inflate made situation worse. The valve is being a real PITA and wanting to be open more than closed.

I did get mink oil and slathered the bag and it looks and feels pretty good. Is there an appropriate bladder swap for this weird long neck bag?

-Rusty
                          @ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                            Speed Bag Historian
                            • Jun 2006

The Title X/XL latex bladder will fill it out nicely. In the "old"days I would have used a TufWear #3 bladder but I haven't seen one of those in at least twenty years now. Also the Everlast bladder that fits the 4208 would work also. There is actually some of those floating around on eBay occasionally.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                              Do you ever treat the inside of the bag?
                              I'm still curious if anyone ever treats the inside of a speed bag. Naturally, I mean a bad without a synthetic backing on the leather, just the raw side of the leather.

-Rusty
                              @ArcSwivel
                              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...