Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Fitness

Fitness General fitness not related to the speed bag

Old 04-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

skiptomylue is on a distinguished road
Bag gloves vs. Boxing gloves

Should you use bag gloves or 14oz,16oz boxing gloes when using a heavy bag? what are the advantages? Which do you perfer?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

skiptomylue is on a distinguished road
Probably should have placed this in the off topic fourm since it does relate to a speed bag. sorry.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptomylue View Post
Probably should have placed this in the off topic fourm since it does relate to a speed bag. sorry.
I love these: 10 oz old school style bag gloves
http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL_Ultim....ASPX?ID=25145

Generally, non-bag gloves are meant for sparring and don't provide enough hand protection for the bag.

It also depends on how hard your heavy bag is... the harder it is, the heavier the gloves should be. Mine is soft as a pillow. And definitely use the longest hand wraps you can get.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Speed Bag Guru

Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
i have the same type of glove for the bag except everlast there good i like them
________
AngelDivaX live

Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Roscoe is on a distinguished road
Gloves

For me, it depends on the bag. Right now I'm using Title's Thai bag, it has pronounced seams running the length of the bag. I use 16 oz boxing gloves with this bag so as not to loose concentration when making contact with the seams.

Gel bag gloves seem to be a happy medium:
http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...ag-gloves.html
http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25498
Just my two cents.

Roscoe

Last edited by Roscoe; 04-27-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Speed Bag Guru

Chris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
For me, it depends on the bag. Right now I'm using Title's Thai bag, it has pronounced seams running the length of the bag. I use 16 oz boxing gloves with this bag so as not to loose concentration when making contact with the seams.

Gel bag gloves seem to be a happy medium:
http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...ag-gloves.html
http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25498
Just my two cents.

Roscoe

I have the Title gel gloves and although I loved them when I got them, the gel is now starting to break apart inside where my fingertips are in the glove. I still like the gloves, but I'm kind of pissed that these things are coming apart inside already. I've had the gloves for about six months now and have used them for approximately an hour or more for at least twice a week in my boxing class, but I give them really hard work, not shadow boxing. I also use them usually once a week on the heavy bag at home, but the gel should not have broken down already.

I'd advise against buying the gel gloves. I know this is the last pair I will buy.

Here's the review of the gloves when I bought them. The gloves still look great, but I am less than enthusiastic about them now. The other thing that I'm not so happy about is the strap is made of elastic material and the velcro is starting to pull apart the strap and it's all frayed. Maybe my expectations were too high for these gloves, but I really haven't given them that hard of use in my opinion. I definitely learned a lot of what NOT to buy in the future. I'll be looking at a glove that doesn't have elastic on the band and without gel next time around.

Here's the review and a similar discussion we had about sparring vs. bag gloves back then: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=179

I must have linked to the wrong gloves in my review. These are the ones that I got in 16 oz. These have the elastic band that the velcro is attached to. http://store.titleboxing.com/title-g...ng-gloves.html

Also, for what it's worth, I would get even heavier gloves if I could. I like that arm and shoulder burn after an hour or so of sparring, heavy bag work, shadow boxing, etc.

Last edited by Chris M; 04-28-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM

SpeedKilz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
I have the Title gel gloves and although I loved them when I got them, the gel is now starting to break apart inside where my fingertips are in the glove. I still like the gloves, but I'm kind of pissed that these things are coming apart inside already. I've had the gloves for about six months now and have used them for approximately an hour or more for at least twice a week in my boxing class, but I give them really hard work, not shadow boxing. I also use them usually once a week on the heavy bag at home, but the gel should not have broken down already.

I'd advise against buying the gel gloves. I know this is the last pair I will buy.

Here's the review of the gloves when I bought them. The gloves still look great, but I am less than enthusiastic about them now. The other thing that I'm not so happy about is the strap is made of elastic material and the velcro is starting to pull apart the strap and it's all frayed. Maybe my expectations were too high for these gloves, but I really haven't given them that hard of use in my opinion. I definitely learned a lot of what NOT to buy in the future. I'll be looking at a glove that doesn't have elastic on the band and without gel next time around.

Here's the review and a similar discussion we had about sparring vs. bag gloves back then: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=179

I must have linked to the wrong gloves in my review. These are the ones that I got in 16 oz. These have the elastic band that the velcro is attached to. http://store.titleboxing.com/title-g...ng-gloves.html

Also, for what it's worth, I would get even heavier gloves if I could. I like that arm and shoulder burn after an hour or so of sparring, heavy bag work, shadow boxing, etc.
I also have Title Gel gloves http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...ag-gloves.html but haven't had the problems Chris has been having. Technically training gloves shouldn't be used for heavy bag work but I guess they still should have held up a little better. I'm not sure if you ordered by shopping online or got our catalog in the mail but if you haven't seen the catalog I suggest downloading the equipment section of our catalog and off our home page and going to page 18. Those gloves that you are having issues with have a great big old "1 YEAR GUARANTEE" icon on them. I don't work in customer service so I can't tell you what they can do but it might be worth a call. Maybe try the gloves in the Title Platinum line?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Speedbagskater is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Speedbagskater
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptomylue View Post
Should you use bag gloves or 14oz,16oz boxing gloes when using a heavy bag? what are the advantages? Which do you perfer?
Tim's right, training gloves are meant more for sparing or hitting a double end bag, as for the weight of the gloves, I was always told the heavier the boxer, the heavier the glove, 140-150 lbs should use a 12oz glove, 150-160 use a 14oz, and 160 and up should use a 16, not saying you need to stick to this, but that was the guideline I was told to stick to. As for the bag gloves, I have had several pair of bag gloves, all of which were everlast, so I can sort of only comment on their gloves, but style wise, some gloves like these Protex 3 heavy bag gloves have an open thumb which can get you into trouble if you have never used these before, once in a while I have gotten sloppy after a few rounds on the bag, swung a few wild punches and let my thumb hang out, I almost broke it.. now these gloves Pro leather heavy bag gloves are a basic model, still no padding on the thumb but it's not an open thumb either, the glove really doesn't fit to your hand all that well, and really doesn't protect as well as a glove like this Ergo foam pro leather bag gloves and at $45 their cheaper then the basic model at the moment, I have a pair of them myself right now, they have a nice fit, and good padding, I really like the evergel gloves I had Evergel pro bag glove but as mentioned, after a while the gel will give out, and you can wind up with a messy glove.. as for the protex2 and protex3 bag gloves, I have not owned either of them yet, and for good reason, the cost is a little high, for the money I would rather go with the Ergo foam for $45. they have taken a beating and I have not had a problem with them yet..good luck with choosing, and remember to wrap your hands, their are a few ways to do so, some for more wrist support, some for more knuckle comfort, if you don't know how to do either of these let me know, youtube has a video for everything and I have almost every last one for boxing bookmarked....
Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM

ExEODCDR is on a distinguished road
I've been looking at the title gels for sparring and bag work. I've read a lot of good reviews but have heard of 3-4 other guys complain about the gel coming apart. But also heard Title boxing/title mma will replace them and the customer service has reportedly been great for the exchange.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

David222 is on a distinguished road
In my opinion bag gloves are more suitable and I also use them. They give a more punchy feel and good for speed punching. But it depends upon you what type you like more, but personally I do like bag gloves for speed bag punching..

Cary Fitness

Last edited by David222; 10-13-2012 at 03:08 AM.