• Show
Clear All
  • CaliG
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2007

Best Heavy Bags

Hi,

Newbie here.

I was wondering what you guys think is the best bag that money can buy.

I'm looking to get a 100 pounder.

I like the Century polyester bags because they're quiet and I live in a quiet neighborhood. But I haven't seen them in use that much and I was wondering if there was a reason for that.

Thanks in advance and good times,

Greg
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Post some links to what you are looking at specifically and you'll get good feedback.

personally, I'd only hit water and "soft fill" bags, easier on the hands. And I'd recommend you get something from ringside.com or titleboxing.com, forget the models at the chain stores (Sports authority, etc.) They're junk and not worth much.
    Last edited by Tim; 09-17-2007, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• CaliG
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Sep 2007

Thanks, I'll check out those websites.

I have a Title medicine ball that I'm very happy with. I'll look into their heavy bags too.

I don't think I'm going to buy a polyester bag afterall, I just saw one at the sporting goods store I work at and it was easily ripped apart.

Good times,

Comment

• Busta Knuckles
        • Jul 2007

Just to let you know i
        bought a Century 100 lb bag and after about a month one of the straps that connect the chains to the bag tore completely off...returned it and bought a Ringside and have been pounding it for about 3 years now with no problemos........Take Tims advice....Title or Ringside!!!

Comment

• CaliG
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Sep 2007

If you were on a tight budget would you buy an Everlast?

Or just save your money to get a better bag.

Also any chance someone knows a place in the San Francisco bay area that carries Title or Ring side bags?

Comment

• CaliG
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Sep 2007

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll wait until I can get a deal on a Title or a Ringside.

Are there any drawbacks to the "body snatcher" teardrop shaped bags?

Or these other specialty bags?

I know they're usually not as heavy but I like that you can include upper cut like shots with them.

Good times,

G
            Last edited by CaliG; 09-21-2007, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• Roscoe
              • May 2006

Powair Waterbag

You can adjust the weight to your liking, no hard spots, like hitting an actual person and quiet as a mouse.

Comment

• ashe
                • Jun 2007

i made my own 72" heavy bag for about $100 or so.

i used a bunch of old blankets for padding, and the core is 4" pvc pipe filled with sand and end caps glued on so the sand will never settle.

just used my wifes sewing machine to sew it.

the only bummer is after i finished it, ringside had a summer special and sold a leather 72" bag for about the same amount. >=-(

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ashe View Post
                  i made my own 72" heavy bag for about $100 or so.

i used a bunch of old blankets for padding, and the core is 4" pvc pipe filled with sand and end caps glued on so the sand will never settle.

just used my wifes sewing machine to sew it.

the only bummer is after i finished it, ringside had a summer special and sold a leather 72" bag for about the same amount. >=-(
                  Good looking bag. Too bad after all that work and $$ you put into it the sale happened.......but this is classic Murphy's Law. You'll enjoy yours more anyway cuz there are no shipping and next day charges and whatever else gets tacked on
                  sigpic

Comment

• ashe
                    • Jun 2007

yeah, i think it came out pretty good. needs a little more padding though, as you can still tell that the core is very solid.

i made it 14" in diameter, but i think 16" might have been better.

the bag i really want is the one by ko fightgear.

Comment

• CaliG
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Sep 2007

Nice work Ashe.

I have a similar bag like that which I use as a grappling dummy for working on judo and wrestling throws.

I try to go through each throw 10 times as fast as possible.

It's a workout like nothing else out there.

I finally picked up the everlast h2o water bag. Somehow they had it for only $40 at sportsauthority and since that's my budget I went with it.

Thanks for the advice. You can't go wrong with these water bags, they're wrist savers.

Down the line I plan on upgrading to some of the bags you guys mentioned. But for now I'm happy and I'm glad I didn't go with that Century bag.
                      Last edited by CaliG; 10-02-2007, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...