• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jzzkwz
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2009

My basement gym - newbie

Not much, but a great start! 5 Stations on bags, stairs, jump rope, shadow boxing, and focus mits (If I have a partner that day)...so enough to keep busy and keep from getting bored!

Feel free to comment guys!
    Attached Files
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Nice setup; you've got plenty of room. I'm jealous. Good luck with it.

Comment

• jzzkwz
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Nov 2009

Thanks - it is nice having plenty of room - my last place didn't...anyway things have been going well with it so far - working out for about a 1 1/2 months to 2 months...

About two weeks ago I started doing the P90X workout every other day too...seems to really be adding a lot to my endurance and stamina (same?) anyway it helps is the point...

Thanks for the comment!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great basement! Basements rule! There are none in CA! Back in NJ they are all the rage!
        P90X sounds cool.....
        I too started going for some new stuff.... running....
        Well I have on and off for years... but no real increase just the same ol same ol to try to get in shape.... but now I am trying to make that the priiority and everything else follows if there is time....
        I dont' want to bulk up or add muscle or anything. I want to get old and have less around me to deal with as aging certainly can be enough of a battle.
        So the less weight, the less hassle.....
        All of us should check out Dean Karnazes for inspiration and beyond human endurance. His books and his life will make you feel embarrassed when you feel tired! Really! I have been running between 5 and 8 miles 5-6 x's a week for the past 3. You can't beat it. It's all mental.
        I ran back to back to 7 milers and one day in between two 8 milers...
        So what.... why not 10? why not 12? If that...why I am not in a 1/2 marathon in a few weeks? I don't know.... so I go forward.....
        I am going to start a new post dedicated to Dean.... he is insane!
        BAG ON!

Comment

• jzzkwz
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Nov 2009

That's awesome spinsmashpop! I would love to run, but can't...joints don't take it too well - specifically the hip...

The P90X is awesome for trimming fat more so than muscle...it add's a lot of lean muscle but burns tons of calories/hour...maybe you should check it out for a little muscle confusion...?

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Great setup! Nothing like the trusty old basement;Plenty of room, and not too far away. Mine is in my garage. It's a small one car garage and it's pretty cramped right now(old clothes and other B.S.).Nothing a little cleaning and organizing can't fix. Welcome to the forum!
            Last edited by metaldad; 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• ukspeedbag
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Very nice gym! I can only dream of something like this. Welcome to the forums mate.

Comment

• jzzkwz
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                Great setup! Nothing like the trusty old basement;Plenty of room, and not too far away. Mine is in my garage. It's a small one car garage and it's pretty cramped right now(old clothes and other B.S.).Nothing a little cleaning and organizing can't fix. Welcome to the forum!

Well then what's stopping you Metaldad...LOL As you can see there's also a pool table in the basement...well if anyone here has had one they know what happens with that - it becomes the laundry folding table...I am VERY fortunate that the laundry isn't in the basement - so no cludder...

Comment

• jzzkwz
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Nov 2009

Thanks again for the comments everyone!

Comment

• MP76
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Nov 2009

Great gym and selection of pads/bags Bro!
                    I especially like that Tuf-Wear, 'double', double end bag in the 2nd pic.
                    How could you NOT train/workout with all that!
                    MP76

Comment

• jzzkwz
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by MP76 View Post
                      Great gym and selection of pads/bags Bro!
                      I especially like that Tuf-Wear, 'double', double end bag in the 2nd pic.
                      How could you NOT train/workout with all that!
                      MP76
                      Yeah no kidding! Gotta love the privacy of the basement too - I do a lot more grunting when I'm exhausted and still have rounds/punches left to do...wouldn't otherwise with a bunch of other people around...Amazing how it can lift the level of workout with a GOOD grunt! LOL

Comment

• MP76
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by jzzkwz View Post
                        Yeah no kidding! Gotta love the privacy of the basement too - I do a lot more grunting when I'm exhausted and still have rounds/punches left to do...wouldn't otherwise with a bunch of other people around...Amazing how it can lift the level of workout with a GOOD grunt! LOL
                        Lol.
                        Yeah, privacy is nice, but I wouldn't let another's presence take away from your workout, if they are there.
                        It also lets people know you are focused on the task at hand and not to interrupt.
                        I don't yell/scream/grunt like the guy's at my old gym, but will strike with a 'kiyah' if necessary, regardless of who is there.
                        Exhaling on the power stroke, helps deliver a more powerful blow.
                        MP76

Comment

• dad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2018

First welcome jzzkwz, great people with wonderful information. That is a great area thanks for sharing it with us. Also, welcome to linda ava as well.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...