Metal houseing, plastic ball hook swivel!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

you should try reaming the hole on the swivel base a bit to taper the part that the ball rests on, so it has a nice "cup" to sit in, that way it wont build up so much friction and chew on the plastic. try greasing the ball as well.

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ninja420 View Post
      Metaldad is right your using some other type of swivel zack one thats not the chain link one. I just did the same thing and combined the two. The metal part is not deep enough for the plastic ball but what I did was drill a 1inch holde 3/4 inch deep in the drum and it worked...but the swivel housing is eating the plastic ball and it squeeks somthing feirce! but talk about fast!!!!!! it is blazing even with the 4200. I cant wait to get a small bag on it ill post some video soon of what im talking about!
      I actually found a rubber gasket that acts as a spacer.It works great!!fast as all get out!! just no cool "spinning quarter" noise. I also thought about drilling into the drum, I just didn't want to drill too big of a hole and it's a pain in the ass taking the platform down and putting it up again cuz mine is strapped down...it's on a "fabulous" Century speedbag/heavy bag combo stand and I strapped it to reduce vibration, try a gasket Ninja, it will cut down on thefriction betwen the drum and the housing, when I get my camera back I'll put some pics up.Thanks for the idea Zack!
      Last edited by metaldad; 10-21-2007, 11:16 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
        Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

good

im glad yall figuring it out and sorry for all the trouble shooting but if u end up having mre trouble i was using a standard plastic ball hook swivel and a TITLE pro swivel (remove the guts) and hook them together if its scraping on the top then u might neeed to drill the top of ur platform out a lil. or like metal dad said put some washers inbetween the swivel and the platform.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by SpeedBagSkunk View Post
          im glad yall figuring it out and sorry for all the trouble shooting but if u end up having mre trouble i was using a standard plastic ball hook swivel and a TITLE pro swivel (remove the guts) and hook them together if its scraping on the top then u might neeed to drill the top of ur platform out a lil. or like metal dad said put some washers inbetween the swivel and the platform.
          That is the difference. I did the same thing with a few standard everlast chainlinks. Basically knocked the guts out and usted a plastic ball in the metal housing. A smaller hole for the shank and the ball is high in the swivel. The TITLE pro has a deeper housing. Actually, the only difference in this is replacing the plastic housing of the plastic ball hook to a metal housing - so the main difference is the plastic ball.

PS: ZACK: get this bag. I got a few off ebay. you will love it. This is the same bag that appears in most of my earlier video's.

foggy mtn

Jungle Bill

hitting 9x6 cousin

Danger Zone

All done on this 8x5 Ringside. SWEET.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 10-24-2007, 05:56 PM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
            Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

hope so

I hope to have one in the next 6 hours but thats if i dont get out bid if i do then well ill keep looking for some.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by SpeedBagSkunk View Post
              I hope to have one in the next 6 hours but thats if i dont get out bid if i do then well ill keep looking for some.
              looks like you lost it....

this guy may sell a few more though. My bags looked to be brand new...
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ashe
                • Jun 2007

cool.

i just busted my piece o crap everlast swivel today.

Comment

• Busta Knuckles
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ashe View Post
                  cool.

i just busted my piece o crap everlast swivel today.
                  Ashe check your PMs, I still have that swivel i offered you a while back.....just tell me where to send it...........what model everlast swivel did you break??

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                    When I attempted to make mine ,it didn't seem "right";on the plastic housing, the ball has a bit of it that fits through the hole, preventing the eyebolt from hitting the sides of the housing, on the metal chain hook, the hole is actually "smaller" than the one on the plastic housing so the plastic ball sits more on top of the hole and the eyebolt ends up clacking the sides of the housing;also the ball is higher than the threads on the housing which made me think there would be friction between the ball and the platform once I screwed the housing back into the base; I checked out your video again and it seems like your plastic ball kind of sits on top of the hole as well, or in my zeal to make one did I miss something?
                    I have just put a few plastic balls into the standard metal housing, and you are correct in that the top of the plastic ball extends slightly past the top of the metal housing, (fig 1) which creates the need to add your rubber gasket spacer when attaching it to the board.

So, I have also tried to turn this re-design around a little, and put a metal ball inside the plastic housing. Think about it..... the plastic ball probably isn't the main design change to make the swivel quieter, or shed less metal shavings, but the metal housing might be the culprit. So, I reversed Skunk's idea, and put a standard metal ball (which really is not "round" as the plastic ball, but more oblong) into the plastic housing. (fig 2). I also superglued the metal shank into the metal ball. Even with the set screw as tight as I can get it, I thought the glue may well help the shank in.

This works very well, for the metal ball clearly sits down inside the housing.

I haven't hit either one yet, for I'm waiting for them to all set up for a few days. I report back how they work.

Figure 3 shows the different Ball-Hook modifications discussed in this thread:

1. Plastic Ball into Metal Housing
                    2. Metal Ball into Plastic Housing

we do this all for science.....
                    Attached Files
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...