My 1st heavy bag as an adult. A few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jumpy
    • Feb 2008

My 1st heavy bag as an adult. A few questions.

Details of me; I'm about 5'6 and 150 lbs. I currently use some sort of Balazas long bag at my local gym. Don't know the weight, but I'm assuming that it's 100lbs. Some times when I connect, even with good gloves and a wraps, a vibration moves up my arm and can give me a headache. Also I hate chasing around a bag after a few hits.

Question One, I will be using this mostly for boxing, but wouldn't mind learning how to kick correctly. What should I be looking into?

Question Two, So from what I understand, a water/foam bag is a large hard bladder wrapped in about 3 inches of foam. I feel silly asking, but what would be a "water bag" be? A leather/faux leather sack filled with h2o?

I have about 4 months before I have my garage done, so there isn't a rush. Someone had a great post about a water/foam bag, which is something that I think that I'd enjoy, but this bag below is on sale for the week, and even if it isn't a water/foam bag, for the price, I don't know if I should jump on it. It's an Everlast 80lb heavy bag for 50 bucks, no shipping. Is this a good price? I look through the Title catalogue quite often, and while there a a ton of bags I like, I don't know if I should just settle on this one

More or less, I'm new to everything.
    Last edited by Jumpy; 03-23-2008, 11:25 PM.
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Jumpy View Post
    Details of me; I'm about 5'6 and 150 lbs. I currently use some sort of Balazas long bag at my local gym. Don't know the weight, but I'm assuming that it's 100lbs. Some times when I connect, even with good gloves and a wraps, a vibration moves up my arm and can give me a headache. Also I hate chasing around a bag after a few hits.

Question One, I will be using this mostly for boxing, but wouldn't mind learning how to kick correctly. What should I be looking into?

Question Two, So from what I understand, a water/foam bag is a large hard bladder wrapped in about 3 inches of foam. I feel silly asking, but what would be a "water bag" be? A leather/faux leather sack filled with h2o?

I have about 4 months before I have my garage done, so there isn't a rush. Someone had a great post about a water/foam bag, which is something that I think that I'd enjoy, but this bag below is on sale for the week, and even if it isn't a water/foam bag, for the price, I don't know if I should jump on it. It's an Everlast 80lb heavy bag for 50 bucks, no shipping. Is this a good price? I look through the Title catalogue quite often, and while there a a ton of bags I like, I don't know if I should just settle on this one

More or less, I'm new to everything.

That is a good deal on the heavy bag, my recomendation is to spend the extra money on good quality bag gloves and Always wrap your hands.
    Here are some great bag gloves
    these are the ones I use
    At Ringside, we are serious about fight sports, especially boxing and MMA. We offer the best prices on boxing equipment in addition to videos, tutorials, and guides. Low-cost shipping guaranteed!

This is a pair I have heard good things about
    At Ringside, we are serious about fight sports, especially boxing and MMA. We offer the best prices on boxing equipment in addition to videos, tutorials, and guides. Low-cost shipping guaranteed!

This is a pair that Title sells that have great reviews

On the higher end you can go with Cleto Reyes or Grant Professional bag gloves, they are top of the line

If you have a very large income and want the very best you could go with Winning Gloves I heard they are second to none

Hope this helps, also work on your punching technique poor punching technique is a fast track to hand, shoulder and arm injuries.

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jumpy View Post
      thats a good price but i really dont like that bag at times it seems like your hitting a brick wall. Spend the extra cash on a better bag your wrists and hands will thank you later. toolboxdiver also had a great point gloves and wraps are very important make sure u get a good pair of those to.
      ________
      Golyoxxl
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Jumpy
        • Feb 2008

Toolboxdiver and Big_Nesticles. Thanks for the advice on better gloves and wraps. At the moment, I use a pair of Twins Special Heavy bag gloves.

I found them at a used sporting goods store for $20, and wen I saw them for that price, I jumped on them like a grasshopper. It looks like they never were used, and on use, it seems like it might be difficult to hurt your wrist with the thick cuff. Never the less, I still use wraps every time.

The more I look into it, I think I might just wait it out for a nice water/foam bag. I've just never hit one so I can't tell just yet.
        Last edited by Jumpy; 03-24-2008, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Roscoe
          • May 2006

Get the Water Bag

Get a jar and place it wherever you empty your pockets and dump the coins into the jar, drop a one dollar bill in there every chance you get. You won't regret the wait for a water bag.

Powair is the best in my opinion. Do a search here, it has been discussed, the info will help you decide.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...