• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillinPEI
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2008

Old School meets New school skipping

It seems to me the guys in this forum are training heavy bags, speed bags double ended bags. Who is skipping? I have a cheap speed rope and 4 or 5 rounds every week.

Pretty good at most skills but crossing my arms over. Any tips. Seen some nice vids on youtube but anyone out here doing rope work?

Can't do my vid as I have to train at the gym Basement Ceiling is too low for serious jumping.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillinPEI View Post
    It seems to me the guys in this forum are training heavy bags, speed bags double ended bags. Who is skipping? I have a cheap speed rope and 4 or 5 rounds every week.

Pretty good at most skills but crossing my arms over. Any tips. Seen some nice vids on youtube but anyone out here doing rope work?

Can't do my vid as I have to train at the gym Basement Ceiling is too low for serious jumping.
    The man that taught me the speed bag was also an ace with the rope. Years ago I could do a few moves, criss crosses, swirls and reverse jumping. But I gave it up after my neck surgeries a few years ago. I just can't take the pounding of the jumps.

but here are a few links that might help.

new Jump rope skills (* you probably know most of these)

Here is a long list of possible skills.... (* doesn't teach how..)

JR skills by American Heart Assoc

You might do well by checking out some of the jump rope competitions. Go to them and meet some fellow jumpers.

Jump rope organizations

Books and charts of rope skills

Watching advanced rope skills is like watching an advanced speed bag routine. Amazing to see and here.

insane jump rope..

Ross Emamait (* listen to the rope!)

Ross again (*awesome rope work)

Jump on, BillinPEI
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedbag4life
      • Jun 2007

Wow. In Ross' second link, he's so fast the rope is invisible, except for an occasional glimpse near the right handle.

I've exercised with simple rope tricks here and there. Initially I had trouble crossing the rope over, too, until I realized I needed to stretch my arms a little further around me, almost as if giving myself a hug (but not quite). Do you practice in front of a mirror? That might help, too. You can see what the rope is doing based on your hand/arm positions.

Comment

• BillinPEI
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2008

Thanks

Great links appreciate it...

Giving myself a hug. I train at the gym as my basement is just a few inches too low but that is a good point with the mirror.

I'm going to break up my training and do my cardio routine twice a week but another 2 times a week take the rope and work on new skills and combos for 15-20 seconds when I'm fresh. I just hate falling flat on my face in pubic but no pain no gain. Maybe be in the fall I can post a vid....

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
          Wow. In Ross' second link, he's so fast the rope is invisible, except for an occasional glimpse near the right handle.

I've exercised with simple rope tricks here and there. Initially I had trouble crossing the rope over, too, until I realized I needed to stretch my arms a little further around me, almost as if giving myself a hug (but not quite). Do you practice in front of a mirror? That might help, too. You can see what the rope is doing based on your hand/arm positions.
          Dr. Schroeder (the guy that taught me speed bag and rope) had us do a boxing circuit in the boxing class, and we shadow boxed and jumped rope in front of the mirror.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

I just started jump rope. Been able to cross my arms since I was a kid. I'm a smoker trying to quit, on my 5th day now. When I really need a fag I'll have a go of the rope. My biggest problem is lower back pain. Tried on grass and just doing little spurts of 30 secs and resting a couple of Min's with a max of 5 Min's per day. Taken advice from here.

Hopefully I'll loosen up a bit.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Good luck quitting Uk! It's been three years since I had a cigarette. You can do it bro!
              sigpic

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                Good luck quitting Uk! It's been three years since I had a cigarette. You can do it bro!
                Thanks mate. I really want to do it this time.

Comment

• Biff
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Off the smokes since Nov 17, 1978, almost 30 years. If you want to quit Vini, you can do it. The key is wanting to quit.

I used to jump rope quite a bit in the 60s and 70s. My original plan when I bought the speed bag was to also get a heavy bag. I was going to incorporate the two (along with jumping rope) into my fitness routine.

I got so into the speed bag that I doubt I want the heavy bag. I should get back into jumping rope. I just don't know if the joints can take the hammering. I had to give up running a couple of years ago, and I now just rely on walking for my aerobic exericse. I usually walk between 12:30 - 12:45 minute miles. I'll do 2, 4 or 6 mile walks, depending on time. The 4 or 6 milers help to get the heart rate up.

At my age, I'm just happy to get out of bed in the morning.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                    Off the smokes since Nov 17, 1978, almost 30 years. If you want to quit Vini, you can do it. The key is wanting to quit.

I used to jump rope quite a bit in the 60s and 70s. My original plan when I bought the speed bag was to also get a heavy bag. I was going to incorporate the two (along with jumping rope) into my fitness routine.

I got so into the speed bag that I doubt I want the heavy bag. I should get back into jumping rope. I just don't know if the joints can take the hammering. I had to give up running a couple of years ago, and I now just rely on walking for my aerobic exericse. I usually walk between 12:30 - 12:45 minute miles. I'll do 2, 4 or 6 mile walks, depending on time. The 4 or 6 milers help to get the heart rate up.

Thanks for the support Biff.

Comment

• Roscoe
                      • May 2006

Amen my Brother

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

I try to do both when I can, speed bag and heavy bag and double end bag in a circuit, i also incorporate the rope, i had knee surgery 7 years ago(torn patella tendon) so running and skipping rope have been a challenge but i still try I have mats that I put on the floor and I jump barefoot and that seems to alleviate some of the shock to the joints and I agree that sometimes getting out of bed can be an accomplishment!!
                        sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                          Thanks mate. I really want to do it this time.
                          Vini, I totally agree with Biff as long as you WANT to quit you WILL don't give in and you'll be fine
                          sigpic

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                            Vini, I totally agree with Biff as long as you WANT to quit you WILL don't give in and you'll be fine
                            Hey thanks again metaldad! It's day 8 and still haven't had a single puff.

I had surgery on both knees twice (4 ops) and have to take care when rope jumping. Your idea of a mat sounds great! Must look out for something to suit my needs. Running is a bit harsh on the knees for me.

Comment

• metaldad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                              Hey thanks again metaldad! It's day 8 and still haven't had a single puff.

I had surgery on both knees twice (4 ops) and have to take care when rope jumping. Your idea of a mat sounds great! Must look out for something to suit my needs. Running is a bit harsh on the knees for me.
                              Day 8? My friend you are on your way for sure!! They say the first three to five days are the roughest. Keep at it! If the mats don't work out for you, try the stationary bike with a good computer attached and a heart rate monitor.20 -30 mins at a good pace should work. You could even work in sprint drills. Zero shock on the joints and a great cardio workout. Gotta take care of those knees!
                              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...