• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Steel Balls

Does anyone know if the eyelet screw from the everlast standard swivel, will screw into the steel ball from of the watkins swivel? Are they compatible?
    Thank you for any help on this. I need to get rid of my plastic ball, and go steel.
    Attached Files
  • jimcaher
    • Feb 2010

The threaded hook from the plastic ball is a loose fit in the Watkins ball. I used J.B. Weld and it works just fine for now, but I'll probably need a torch to remove the hook when it wears out. Maybe something less than JB would have been better. I inserted the hook as far as possible into the ball to reduce the arc. Until the Powermill, this was my favorite setup.

Jim

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by jimcaher View Post
      The threaded hook from the plastic ball is a loose fit in the Watkins ball. I used J.B. Weld and it works just fine for now, but I'll probably need a torch to remove the hook when it wears out. Maybe something less than JB would have been better. I inserted the hook as far as possible into the ball to reduce the arc. Until the Powermill, this was my favorite setup.

Jim
      Thanks Jim. Now i know, i should just order the extra ball, with the shorter hook, and i can rig something for the ball with the longer hook. Because i would like to make two functioning swivels, with short hooks out of these.

Thanks again. Mike

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
        Thanks Jim. Now i know, i should just order the extra ball, with the shorter hook, and i can rig something for the ball with the longer hook. Because i would like to make two functioning swivels, with short hooks out of these.

Thanks again. Mike
        In all honesty I'm not sure you should order anything. Many members have bought swivels from this company and been left on hold for months with the "on back order" excuse. Those of us that have received it know it as a good swivel, however their delivery time may be given in months.

For a better ballhook, contact our own forum member Jumpcannon and get his powermill swivel. A bit more expensive but rock solid and custom made. Many of us have it on our boards right now.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          In all honesty I'm not sure you should order anything. Many members have bought swivels from this company and been left on hold for months with the "on back order" excuse. Those of us that have received it know it as a good swivel, however their delivery time may be given in months.
          They are pretty bad, i made an online order for that watkins swivel a while back, emailed them after a week, to just check the status... got no reply, gave them the benefit of the doubt. I gave it another week, sent them yet another email asking the current status of my order...no reply. So i had my wife call them. They said it was "on back order" like you stated. While still on the phone with "the guy", my wife told me what he had just said, so i told her to tell him to CANCEL THE ORDER, and that i'd CALL back in 30 days to see if they have the swivel i wanted. (1-800 TOLL FREE NUMBER OF COURSE.) So... a month goes by, I called the 1-800 number again, yesterday it was. He said: it would be a while before they have that swivel in stock. i asked him if he knew about how long, he said: he wasn't sure , and that he had 50,000 coming from china... if i remember correctly that's where he said they were coming from. Anyways, i asked if i could call back in 30 days and check if they had the swivel in stock. he said: Yeah. so...who knows what will come of this saga. It's like PULLING TEETH doing business with some people. That's why i wish they had this swivel at Title, and, or Ringside. With them you order online. In the cart it tells if they have the item in stock, Just place the order, and in MOST CASES, within 5 to 10 days it's on your doorstep. EASY, SIMPLE. The way buying something was meant to be.

Thanks Alan. I will continue with caution, IF i go any further with the watkins swivel saga.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
            He said: it would be a while before they have that swivel in stock. i asked him if he knew about how long, he said: he wasn't sure , and that he had 50,000 coming from china.
            I believe we've heard that line before ... buyer beware.

If you buy from JumpCannon you'll get it quick and be happy...

Comment

• Allentown
              • Oct 2010

Is Jumpcannon's ball swivel as fast as a U-bolt swivel?

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Allentown View Post
                Is Jumpcannon's ball swivel as fast as a U-bolt swivel?
                It's EASY to go fast on a u-bolt. It's a lot more work to go fast on a ball hook. It requires much more precision, the slightest hit off center will make the bag shoot off to the side, vs the u-bolt where you have a much bigger area that when struck will give you the rebound you want.

That said the trade off is the ball hooks ability to take hits from any angle and provide the correct rebound. You will feel slower with the ball hook, at least initially.

I believe in absolute terms the ball hook is just as fast, all other things being equal like total rebound arc, bag size, etc. It will take more skill , precision , and effort to make it go that fast though.

Many people try the ball hook and give up to quickly... give it a few days to weeks, at least. If you want to be a true "Bible style" bag master the ball hook is a must have.

Comment

• jumpcannon
                  Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

I agree. i hated a ballhook at first! after a few weeks of forcing myself to hit it i started to understand why its so nice. no way i can hit on ubolts or chainlinks now. as far as speed.......skunk could rip a ballhook faster than any of us on a ubolt......so really its the hitter.
                  evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                    I agree. i hated a ballhook at first! after a few weeks of forcing myself to hit it i started to understand why its so nice. no way i can hit on ubolts or chainlinks now. as far as speed.......skunk could rip a ballhook faster than any of us on a ubolt ......so really its the hitter.
                    That's true, but it's more fun to blame the swivel

Is this a great place or what?!! A guy who hated the ball hook ends up making the best one on the planet. Where is Gunga Din when you need him! Blow your bugle, Din, 'cause the Colonel's got to know...(3:20 - 4:55) that there's a new swivel in town.

Go ahead and watch the end from 5:40 - 7:10. Still one of the best movies of all time.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Champagne
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                      I agree. i hated a ballhook at first! after a few weeks of forcing myself to hit it i started to understand why its so nice. no way i can hit on ubolts or chainlinks now. as far as speed.......skunk could rip a ballhook faster than any of us on a ubolt......so really its the hitter.
                      jump cannon I would like to purchase two swivels from you if possible. If you could E-mail me the infoe sarapara@cox.net Thanks

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...