• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lee Chapman
    • Feb 2017

Short / long arms and bag size?

Hi

Is there anyone out there that prefers a smaller bag due to having short arms.

It seems that having short arms, I am more competent hitting from the rear, as my hands have more room to work.

Cheers
    L
    If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
    So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Lee Chapman View Post
    Hi

It seems that having short arms, I am more competent hitting from the rear, as my hands have more room to work.

Cheers
    L
    Lee, you can try standing off to the side a bit and then move closer to the bag.

Comment

• m.breen
      • Jan 2017

Yeah... the first time I hit the bag from behind I realized I would need a smaller bag (last week). Got a little "Contender" bag off of kijiji. I think it is a small. I'm 5'3".

Comment

• Lee Chapman
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Biff View Post
        Lee, you can try standing off to the side a bit and then move closer to the bag.
        Check out my last vid. Im so close I got wacked in the nose.

Cheers
        Lee

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Which means you have been indoctrinated. You can not be considered a true disciple if you have not been smacked in the face by a bag.........

Comment

• Lee Chapman
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            Which means you have been indoctrinated. You can not be considered a true disciple if you have not been smacked in the face by a bag.........
            You know when your an old get, you get hit in the face so often it stops hurting.

Cheers
            L

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi

Cheers
              L

Originally posted by Biff View Post

Hi Lee. I would second Biff's suggestion but would emphasize "a bit". Just kind of shuffle your foot to the side of the arm that is going behind the bag. In time you may find yourself "leaning" to the side rather than actually stepping to the side

Another thing you may find for "single fist reverse punching", (passing ONE fist through the bag) is to hit more of the reverse-side panel of the bag, which will create a rebound angle toward the other side of your face, not directly back at your nose. This rebound angle is pretty much what you are creating when you slide-step to that side anyway. Eventually you may find the Side Single Punch (SSP) is very much like the Reverse Single Punch (RSP) [ it's the very same swing motion, the only difference is the bag area of contact...] and you can use either one - and may find it easy with shorter arms to just use the side area more.

See Bag areas and angles here.

Of course the above only works when using a single fist. If you are doing Reverse Double Punch (RDP), you will may need to move a bit closer and lean your face back or risk clipping your nose.

We've all face planted the bag into our nose. Some of us more times than we care to admit....

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Lee Chapman
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Hi Lee. I would second Biff's suggestion but would emphasize "a bit". Just kind of shuffle your foot to the side of the arm that is going behind the bag. In time you may find yourself "leaning" to the side rather than actually stepping to the side

Another thing you may find for "single fist reverse punching", (passing ONE fist through the bag) is to hit more of the reverse-side panel of the bag, which will create a rebound angle toward the other side of your face, not directly back at your nose. This rebound angle is pretty much what you are creating when you slide-step to that side anyway. Eventually you may find the Side Single Punch (SSP) is very much like the Reverse Single Punch (RSP) [ it's the very same swing motion, the only difference is the bag area of contact...] and you can use either one - and may find it easy with shorter arms to just use the side area more.

See Bag areas and angles here.

Of course the above only works when using a single fist. If you are doing Reverse Double Punch (RDP), you will may need to move a bit closer and lean your face back or risk clipping your nose.

We've all face planted the bag into our nose. Some of us more times than we care to admit....

Thanks Alan

To be fair, my rear singles and doubles are ok for the most part. Is the second and consecutive left hand hits on rear rolling. I seem to be dropping my left hand a fraction, making me hit upwards, which is messing with my flow, but that's ok, it's just something to work at. I should run a slow mo bid to have a look from the side. That will give me some direct feedback to watch.

Cheers
                L

Comment

• jaja6009
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2016

Check out my last vid. Im so close I got wacked in the nose.

Cheers
                  Lee
                  I have gotten whacked in the face several times too when doing behind the bag hits. But mine mishaps are from the bag coming off the hook and hitting me. I now use a cap on the end of the hook and that has stopped it.

My girlfriend was upset she missed me getting whacked, she hates the speed bag since it's so noisy.

Comment

• Lee Chapman
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
                    I have gotten whacked in the face several times too when doing behind the bag hits. But mine mishaps are from the bag coming off the hook and hitting me. I now use a cap on the end of the hook and that has stopped it.

My girlfriend was upset she missed me getting whacked, she hates the speed bag since it's so noisy.
                    Ahh mine's on a carribeener so it can't come off.

Perhaps you can do a deal with your girlfriend to only do half hour at a time.

Better still, teach her :-)

Cheers
                    L

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...