Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rskbreaker
    • Jan 2014

A few new custom speed bags and double end bags I recently made.

Based on the title xxs 4x6 bag

6x9 bag

5x8 bag

5x8 bag

Double end bags

Comment

• Visionary Stitchworks
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2015

Nice work Rskbreaker!

I found this thread after searching for information on making speed bags and other boxing equipment. I love everything about boxing, but I have a long way to go back after years of sitting (and snacking) at a sewing machine. I do alterations, custom leather goods, and industrial sewing machine repair and sales. In recent years I alter tons of leather motorcycle jackets and chaps, as well as various leather and heavy duty repairs. My first bag will be a heavy bag that used to be an Army duffel, -- my tailor friends are saving me 70+ pounds of scrap fabric, mainly from men's suit pants. Why not try making a leather speed bag? It can't be any harder than making leather hats and ladies' purses, lol. I will likely start with upholstery cowhide, but goat/kidskin really isn't that expensive if you mail order it. I'm taking suggestions regarding patternmaking.

I have enjoyed the photos, Rskbreaker, and the Consew 206RB in the background. Your machine table is unusual -- did you make it yourself? I just got another 206RB and love it, in addition to my Consew 201R, an earlier walking foot. My best cylinder arm machine is a Singer 29k72 boot patcher, though I have a Consew 277RFS (cylinder arm walking foot) that is a spare time fixup project.

--------------------------
      Bringing order to the chaos, one stitch at a time.

Comment

• rskbreaker
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        [QUOTE rskbreaker Hey Ralph,

I did use thread locker on the Chicago screws. Perhaps trying to get the weight to match the everlast bag, the leather I used was too heavy.
        ...Hey Dan, I finally got the loop off the bag. I had to drill a hole down the center of the Chicago screws,
        What a PITA, I'm in the process of shorting the loop, I'm also looking at adding a round piece of leather on the bottom of the bag to give it that pendulum affect, to give the bag more speed, but instead of adding it to the outside I'll try to add it to the inside of the bag...[/QUOTE]

I forgot about this thread. Had I known, I wouldn't have used the thread lock. A few of my double end screws were coming loose so I decided to start locking everything. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
          • Jun 2015

great thread.

i'm enjoying all the pics. beautiful craftsmanship.

I considered a kangaroo leather bag a while back but wasn't sure if it was marketing nonsense or not. I skipped it in the end because it was backordered.

This thread also has me realizing that the loop on my current bag is way too big.

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Kangaroo leather is not marketing nonsense, but I can only recommend the vintage Everlast bags and the present day Jim Bradley from Australia. Maybe there are others good kangaroo bags someone else can mention -- haven't shopped for one in a while.

Comment

• rskbreaker
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Visionary Stitchworks View Post
              I found this thread after searching for information on making speed bags and other boxing equipment. I love everything about boxing, but I have a long way to go back after years of sitting (and snacking) at a sewing machine. I do alterations, custom leather goods, and industrial sewing machine repair and sales. In recent years I alter tons of leather motorcycle jackets and chaps, as well as various leather and heavy duty repairs. My first bag will be a heavy bag that used to be an Army duffel, -- my tailor friends are saving me 70+ pounds of scrap fabric, mainly from men's suit pants. Why not try making a leather speed bag? It can't be any harder than making leather hats and ladies' purses, lol. I will likely start with upholstery cowhide, but goat/kidskin really isn't that expensive if you mail order it. I'm taking suggestions regarding patternmaking.

I have enjoyed the photos, Rskbreaker, and the Consew 206RB in the background. Your machine table is unusual -- did you make it yourself? I just got another 206RB and love it, in addition to my Consew 201R, an earlier walking foot. My best cylinder arm machine is a Singer 29k72 boot patcher, though I have a Consew 277RFS (cylinder arm walking foot) that is a spare time fixup project.

--------------------------
              Bringing order to the chaos, one stitch at a time.
              Speed bag making to me seems way easier than making a woman's purse. Shouldn't be a problem with someone with your type of experience. I look forward to seeing your progress.

The consew table was with the machine when I bought it. I did cut about a foot of the end of the table, so it could fit better in my little studio.

I had a 29k71 I was going to restore, but I decided to sell it to help pay for a Seiko walking foot cylinder arm.

I should make a basic boxing video of me hitting on your bag, but my basic boxing does not include what everyone I see doing on YouTube what they call basic boxing on the speed bag. I don't circle hammer fists because you don't box your opponent that way. I never hammer fist the speed bag, but do use backfist. I have to wait for a larger 64 gigabyte SD card for my phone before I start doing vids, Once I get it in the mail I'll start giving it a go at posting videos, Most will be slow for beginners to see and pick up what I'm doing, I think my second video I do will be with an vintage large bag, or maybe title's big blue...ralph
              A video like that would be great.

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
              great thread.

i'm enjoying all the pics. beautiful craftsmanship.

I considered a kangaroo leather bag a while back but wasn't sure if it was marketing nonsense or not. I skipped it in the end because it was backordered.

This thread also has me realizing that the loop on my current bag is way too big.
              Thank you!

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              Kangaroo leather is not marketing nonsense, but I can only recommend the vintage Everlast bags and the present day Jim Bradley from Australia. Maybe there are others good kangaroo bags someone else can mention -- haven't shopped for one in a while.
              Not a gimmick, but very expensive to get kangaroo leather around here.

Here's another pic of one of my bags in a customer's gym.

Last edited by rskbreaker; 07-11-2015, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• jaja6009
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2016

Yeah if you are still making bags and want to make another batch, please sign me up for a yellow and black bumblebee! I love the idea of handmade craftsmanship like the old days.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                  • Jan 2014

Hey rskbreaker it's Ralph, That bag looks great, are you still making bags, Some here seem to be interested in the bumble bee pattern, The same color scheme as the Everlast I gave you. I have another project for you if your interested, I have a Vintage Everlast kangaroo 4200 that I wore out (considered a 6x9) Inside this bag you can see the high quality lining compared to the bumble bee bag I sent you. Now if your interested I could send you this bag if you want to copy it like you did with the bumble bee bag, I feel this size bag and shape will be more popular than the bumble bee and will work much better with more styles of speed bagging, Like bible bag hitting or classical boxing style hitting, Let me know if you want this bag and remember I get first dibs if you decide to copy this bag too, I have a pic of this bag in one of my threads, Don't know how to bring that pic over to this thread.
                  Hey, Ralph. I took a long break, but I'm slowly getting back into making more gear. I'd be interested in replicating that 4200 pattern and giving you first dibs on the copy.

Comment

• m.breen
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by rskbreaker View Post
                    Speed bag making to me seems way easier than making a woman's purse. Shouldn't be a problem with someone with your type of experience. I look forward to seeing your progress.

The consew table was with the machine when I bought it. I did cut about a foot of the end of the table, so it could fit better in my little studio.

I had a 29k71 I was going to restore, but I decided to sell it to help pay for a Seiko walking foot cylinder arm.

A video like that would be great.

Thank you!

Not a gimmick, but very expensive to get kangaroo leather around here.

Here's another pic of one of my bags in a customer's gym.

Interesting...3 bag set up. That sure gives me something to think about.

Comment

• Lee Chapman
                      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by rskbreaker View Post
                      What are the Cleto bags lined with?

I took a little break from sewing, but I'm looking to get back in the swing of things. Heres my second draft. Much better, but there are a few things I can improve on.

Sweeeeeet
                      If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
                      So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

Comment

• pinzpirate
                        • Feb 2020

I've only been around since last February but I read the thread Did any of his stuff hit as good as it looked?

Comment

• JoMan2
                          • Dec 2020

Looks like he was last on Sherdog in 2016 as the username RskBreaker as well...he could have lost his login though too and made another account (like I have JoMan & JoMan2)

Here’s his Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Gonzalez-Boxi...ernal&mt_nav=0

His email: danielgonzalez1@gmail.com
                          Last edited by JoMan2; 01-12-2021, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Pete
                            • Nov 2020

Any news on this?

Comment

• Pete
                              • Nov 2020

Nope, not a word, But I'm glad roni is making bags coming out of Bulgaria ;-)
                              Amen!

Comment

• JuniEdith
                                Speed Bag Trainee
                                • May 2021

I second that. It is a very good idea . If the speed bag turns to be good you can sell to other members of the forum.I am also interested in buying a speed bag.

have | can | helpful | over
                                Last edited by JuniEdith; 12-12-2021, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...