• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

New Balazs bag 8x5

I decided to pay the hefty price and get me the Balazs 8x5. I needed a small bag with some weight to it to replace my title gyro 8x5, which I loved and worked well on my Everlast chain link but not so well on my u-bolt. The gyro and the chain link are sold. I’ve committed myself to the u-bolt. Anyway, the balazs is indeed a heavier bag that is surprisingly fast and bouncy. It’s definitely professional quality. The loop is very stiff, and because of that it works better on my u-bolt than the gyro, which had a very soft and malleable loop.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1572.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	94578

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Real nice. I've never heard or read a bad thing about those bags, hefty price yeah, even more than a Cleto I think. I been torn between the 8" and the 9". My gut says get both but start with the 8.

The shipping is gonna kill me up here but what the hey.
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

This is the XS in action. It is a good bag....heavy & kind of bouncy...but gives you one hell of a workout! It WILL last a lifetime!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

I have the larger 6x9 size, aka "Sonic" or small. Very nice leather, smooth on the knuckles. Thick loop, but it fits on the Arc. Long lasting butyl bladder, but no laces so you can't change it out if you wanted to. And like Zaza says, its a workout.

-Rusty
        p.s. Nice music on that vid, Zaza. Colour me surprised.
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
          Long lasting butyl bladder, but no laces so you can't change it out if you wanted to.
          How are no laces not a deal breaker?

Comment

• riqal
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
            This is the XS in action. It is a good bag....heavy & kind of bouncy...but gives you one hell of a workout! It WILL last a lifetime!
            Yes indeed, it is a workout! I pumped a little more air into it this morning and hit it for a few minutes. You can really feel this bag. My whole body was vibrating while hitting this bag. Maybe I had to much air in it, I don’t know. It really is an impressive bag in the way it is built and in the way it performs.

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              How are no laces not a deal breaker?
              I know, right? You can't pimp out those laces!

-Rusty
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

You NEVER have to replace the bladder, thus...no laces.

"Now move on to the next piece of “Serious” - there are No Laces!!!! Yup, laces throw a bag out of balance - but if your bag blows a bladder, you gotta have laces to service it right? The Balazs Lazer™ Bags have no laces because we want perfect balance, and the Air Chamber never pops and never needs to be replaced. Spend a little time trying to figure out our secret way to make a bag with no laces - then get back to bagging. You’ll Add Air to it, but it will not pop - How confident are we? Open the box, try it out and if it’s not we said - Total Money Back Guarantee - period."

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

When anyone says period I know they're bluffing. When the valve leaks will they send you a new bag? Send you a new bag again and again?

Laces don't unbalance a bag, overthinking these things unbalance your mind. Go bag your face.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

lol. I don't fault them for slinging some marketing there. I bought one early on, and I like it.

However as an engineer and a skeptically minded thinker, I do like to ponder the question of whether laces could unbalance a bag and to what extent?

Determining if a bag is in balance and if laces make any difference is an interesting problem. To have an opinion and say they don't is too subjective. This is a claim that could be tested and proven. And it the test is a good one, it would reproducible by others. That is the scientific method.

-Rusty
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

I'll admit that I cannot rule out an effect. The disbelief in my retort was a reflection of the certainty with which the claim was advanced.

Mundane claims require mundane evidence which Balazs doesn't offer. A few moments ago I taped two pennies to a thin skinned Ringside speed bag and then moved them to different locations and cannot detect an influence. Two pennies may be insufficient weight but allow me to say, "My two cents, worth what it cost you."

Let us know the results of any well designed experiment regarding this lacy matter.
                      Last edited by paranday; 09-04-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

I'm not saying you are wrong, and I am not disagreeing. In fact, my guess would be that laces have very little affect, unless they are big laces with lots of surface area and aerodynamic drag on a comparatively small bag. Then maybe.

I'm just saying I find it an interesting theoretical question to ponder. Unless I think of some easy and interesting way to experiment, I'll probably just think about it from time to time. And I don't have the skills to tell just by punching.

-Rusty
                        p.s. Kudos for doing the pennies experiment! Australia's Dr. Karl would be very proud.
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

I hadn't thought about aerodynamics. On a flyweight bag like the Title Platinum Atomic that may be a factor, yet guys make that bag fly without undue difficulty. In the real world laces don't seem to matter.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...