X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whippet
    • Nov 2008

Softening the Heavy Bag

I have a Boes 100lb bag. I have always liked the quality of their stuff, but my heavy bag has become hard as a rock to hit. It is compress-filled with the cotton discs.
    I have heard that using it for some ground 'n pound can help redistribute the material inside. Does anyone have any good advice on this, or should I just add one of those wrap-around gel pads to it and carry on. Thanks!

Dennis in Edmonton
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I've had the same problem with an Everlast bag. Hard as a rock in most places. I tried pummeling the bag a bit on the ground and quite frankly it didn't help. That bag is now the 80lbs of weight on top of my speed bag platform.

In all honesty, in the future i'd go water bag.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
      I have a Boes 100lb bag. I have always liked the quality of their stuff, but my heavy bag has become hard as a rock to hit. It is compress-filled with the cotton discs.
      I have heard that using it for some ground 'n pound can help redistribute the material inside. Does anyone have any good advice on this, or should I just add one of those wrap-around gel pads to it and carry on. Thanks!

Dennis in Edmonton
      I really agree with Tim. Try to "soften" a rock hard Heavy bag is a waste of time. In the long run, I think the Gel wrap protector will be the quickest, easier fix to still use the bag and save your hands, along with high quality gloves. I also suggest wrapping your hands inside the gloves if your into serious all out power punching. Good luck.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Whippet View Post

Dennis in Edmonton
        Do you have any other boes stuff? A store recently opened up near me and there starting to carry boes and it seems well made but hard to tell without really using it. Any input would be great.
        ________
        Liona live
        Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• Whippet
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
          Do you have any other boes stuff? A store recently opened up near me and there starting to carry boes and it seems well made but hard to tell without really using it. Any input would be great.
          I have the Boes double end bag also - the 9" model; their stuff is made with quality. I know of some who speak highly of the Boes bag gloves as well.
          Dennis
          Last edited by Whippet; 12-06-2008, 02:52 PM. Reason: bad wording

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

Ya i may pick of some of there stuff over the holidays because they have almost everything boes makes at this store. Need some nice leather bag gloves im going with them or rival. A store near me is starting to carry rival over the next couple weeks so that will save me shipping cost from now on! Thanks for the input.
            ________
            Medical Marijuana
            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by MelloYello
              Personally I'd go for a $600 Everlast Super Leather bag. It's on the pricey side but will out last most gyms and the filling is not too hard and stays consistent (doesn't get lumpy or settled)
              I've seen one of those up close and personal, and it was BEAUTIFUL.

Looks every bit the $600 it costs. I didn't hit it though, but I'm sure it hits fine.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...