• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OzYank
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2019

Kismet, Synchronicity, Serendipity

Lately, I've been looking for a house to buy. I've been living in a flat for a few years and it's not a good environment. Time for a change.
    Looked at a house today. It's the oldest house on the street (around 1900). Seems structurally sound, but could use a bit of work.
    I was intrigued. I did the standard inspection, noting what might need work.
    The owner took me to the garage where there was a Jim Bradley speed bag platform with Jim Bradley bag and swivel attached.
    I looked at him and said, "So, you're a bit of a boxer, yes?".
    He's about 80 yrs old.
    His answer, "I used to be".
    Turns out he was formerly a boxing coach at the local Boy's Club.
    I also volunteer at a non-profit boxing gym.
    Also, I volunteer at a local Men's Shed (https://mensshed.org/what-is-a-mens-shed/). My latest project is making 3 new adjustable speed bag platforms (thanks to florian 380 http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/member.php?u=2945 for the design suggestions).
    I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank rdshackleford (http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/member.php?u=3962) for his very generous donation of an Arc swivel for our gym. Though I've never met him, I can tell he has a good heart.
    I think this is the house for me. I take it as a sign.
    Last edited by OzYank; 05-02-2019, 04:55 AM.
  • JoMan
    • Nov 2016

Congratulations! Did the speed bag come with the house?

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by OzYank View Post
      ...I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank rdshackleford for his very generous donation of an Arc swivel for our gym. Though I've never met him, I can tell he has a good heart...
      Awe, shucks. I just wanted to be able to brag my swivels are used around the world.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• OzYank
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
        Awe, shucks. I just wanted to be able to brag my swivels are used around the world.
        The Arc should soon be used. I just need to get the speed bag platforms finished so we can give it a whirl. I'm making progress, but it is slow.

Comment

• OzYank
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
          Congratulations! Did the speed bag come with the house?
          I'm not 100% sure, but I hope so. It hasn't been used in years, so would be nice to breathe some new life into it.

Comment

• dad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2018

Pictures

I know you must be busy with your new house (congratulations, a new journey begins, enjoy) but when you get a chance would you please post a picture?

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

And I would like to see some pics of the platforms under construction.
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• OzYank
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Mar 2019

And I would like to see some pics of the platforms under construction.
                This is what I have so far. I've made a couple of pine drums as well as the hardwood one in the picture. The frames are coming along and I hope to have them ready for paint or powder coating next week. The pictures I have are here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...hp?albumid=145

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

I don't really like the color of the Arc Fuel on that hardwood drum. Black or white would be nicer.
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• OzYank
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by dad View Post
                    I know you must be busy with your new house (congratulations, a new journey begins, enjoy) but when you get a chance would you please post a picture?
                    I'm still in the negotiating process with the house. I have a good feeling about it and I hope it eventuates. I'll know more in the coming days. I'm going there this weekend and will try to get a pic of the speed bag setup in the garage. I've got a lot of irons in the fire.

Comment

• OzYank
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Mar 2019

I don't really like the color of the Arc Fuel on that hardwood drum. Black or white would be nicer.
                      I'll take a shot of it on Monday against one of the pine drums. It would set it off better.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...