• Show
Clear All
  • bigant
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2013

TKO heavy-speed bag combo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello;

I bough the above TKO heavy-speed bag combo. The speed bag does not have a "fast" snap back. Any suggestons please?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by bigant View Post
    http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&sa...93&tx=63&ty=65
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello;

I bough the above TKO heavy-speed bag combo. The speed bag does not have a "fast" snap back. Any suggestons please?
    Hello Bigant, welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you get another speed bag for the TKO bags are not known for speed. On that unit I would stay with
    either a smaller 9x6 or 8x5 bag.

Second, the vibration and shaking of that floor stand will also reduce bag speed. There are several methods to try and reduce or stop the shaking, ie... putting the floor unit on carpet or some heavily padded surface to reduce "creep", and adding weight over the board like a 20-25 pound sand bag or something similar, or adding stabilizing straps to it somehow - however I doubt you will ever get it all out enough to make a big difference in bag speed due to the single vertical pole holding it. That is another reason for a smaller, lighter bag as they might not stake the unit as much as a larger, heavier bag.

You might also try another swivel, such as a Deville ballhook.

IMO Floor stands like this will never offer the speed and stability of a wall unit for a hard punching workout with a large bag (ie, 10x7 or 11x8 or larger), especially if you use punching techniques and combinations from the sides of the bag, which tend to twist the single vertical pole. But with some of the suggested modifications you may be able to get a decent workout.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 09-25-2013, 07:04 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Rhy
      • Sep 2013

I have the exact same TKO heavy bag/speed bag stand, I had to remove the speed bag from the stand cause i find when you somewhat get good the rhythm get's thrown off due to vibration and the large bag.

If you want to get good or serious about speed baggin then I'd find some kind of platform "I build my own from 3/4" copper" and now i have something solid to use, i ordered a new swivel "u-bolt" everlast and waiting to order a Deville swivel as soon as i can..

What I've come to realize is that you need,

1) A solid platform and thick hard wood drum

2) A good swivel u-bolt, or from what i hear Deville swivel are really good too

3) For me a medium size bag although i have xs - large i used the medium to bang and xs for trying to learn new combo's "think they call it punch drumming" which is a slower process to learn..

Good luck
      Last edited by Rhy; 09-25-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...