Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Reviews

Reviews Post reviews of equipment, books, DVDs, etc. here

Old 03-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Thedogkeeper is on a distinguished road
Alan Kahn's Book and DVD

I was told I have to post within 7 days or my account will be deleted. I've on and off used a speed bag for the past 45 years and really love it. My goal was to be fast and I did reach that but now maybe I would like to add some tricks. I'm sure there are posts regarding Alan Kahn's training but I would like to ask if the book and DVD would help me learn some tricks. I don't learn so fast anymore and only know how to impress my friends with hand speed.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 06:06 AM
Speed Bag Wizard

Biff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond reputeBiff has a reputation beyond repute
Alan's book is a fantastic resource. However, although speed is a component of speedbagging, his book places emphasis on mastering techniques and combinations through control of the bag. Speed develops as a result of controlled mastery.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:13 PM

jaja6009 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedogkeeper View Post
I was told I have to post within 7 days or my account will be deleted. I've on and off used a speed bag for the past 45 years and really love it. My goal was to be fast and I did reach that but now maybe I would like to add some tricks. I'm sure there are posts regarding Alan Kahn's training but I would like to ask if the book and DVD would help me learn some tricks. I don't learn so fast anymore and only know how to impress my friends with hand speed.
Thanks
The book and DVD are helping me with the tricks or as it's called around here "bible" hitting. I was like you, I used to do boxing style hitting and was pretty fast. But with the "bible" style I am still learning. I'll tell you one thing, at work our boxing club had their minds blown when I started hitting the bag with elbows, from behind, and from the sides. The triple elbow strikes when I can land them really blow peoples minds.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

Thanks for the input--I like it. I've been a student all of my life so I'm going to buy the book and DVD. Looking forward to learning and challenging myself.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

I forgot to mention--I plan on doing some showing off in the gym to amaze my young friends. I'm still laughing about you blowing minds of your boxer friends.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 PM

jaja6009 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I forgot to mention--I plan on doing some showing off in the gym to amaze my young friends. I'm still laughing about you blowing minds of your boxer friends.

Yeah I can't imagine if some of the better people here showed them how to do it, they'd really flip out.

I was just doing some triplet with some double elbow strikes mixed in, with a little front and rear fist rolling. Then finished with a left outward triple elbow, right circle punch, left outward double elbow followed by a downward elbow. It happened to be a time when I landed all of them. I am still having trouble consistently doing the outward elbows cleanly.

I then showed them videos of Alan and you other bagging maniacs and they were truly amazed. They just do triplet and some front fist rolling with the bag up high. I had to stand on a mat to get it to the bible height since it's a non adjustable unit.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Hey Thedogkeeper, Welcome to the forum! always glad to have new folks join...

Quote:
Thanks
I often hear the more complicated techniques, or more specifically, "more complicated combinations from different side of the bag" call "tricks".

Maybe that is because there is something magical about seeing them done smooth and fast...

I don't prefer to call them "tricks", but prefer to call them more difficult or more advanced combinations. Of course there are "secrets" to doing them easier and more efficiently, - and I try to explain that in the book or demonstrate them in the video's.

But I do get it why people call what we do "tricks". And it makes us feel kind of like magicians. Bag Magicians... I like it

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. VIII! Summer 2017

The Art of the Bag
Old 03-31-2017, 10:14 AM

Lee Chapman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbag View Post
Hey Thedogkeeper, Welcome to the forum! always glad to have new folks join...

I often hear the more complicated techniques, or more specifically, "more complicated combinations from different side of the bag" call "tricks".

Maybe that is because there is something magical about seeing them done smooth and fast...

I don't prefer to call them "tricks", but prefer to call them more difficult or more advanced combinations. Of course there are "secrets" to doing them easier and more efficiently, - and I try to explain that in the book or demonstrate them in the video's.

But I do get it why people call what we do "tricks". And it makes us feel kind of like magicians. Bag Magicians... I like it
So Alan. As you do tricks, does that make you the Houdini, Gandalf or Dumbledore of the speedbag. :-)
Old 04-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Chapman View Post
So Alan. As you do tricks, does that make you the Houdini, Gandalf or "Dumbledore" of the speedbag. :-)
Probably anything with "dumb" in it is pretty close!

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. VIII! Summer 2017

The Art of the Bag
Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 PM

m.breen is on a distinguished road
I think I am ready for the "Bible".