• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chaban
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2017

First bag?

Hi all,

I just decided to start doing some speed bag work for fitness (lacking at the moment), maybe some shoulder strength/size (that may come with just keeping my hands up though?), and an increase in hand speed and hand-eye co-ordination (pretty decent naturally but have been idle for a while so may need sharpening!).

I am looking to purchase a Title bag, either 7x10(Black) or 6x9(Red), which would be best to start with? I just don't want to make the wrong choice initially and any advice would be appreciated.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Either one would make an excellent beginners bag. Some prefer to start with the larger of the two, then obtain the smaller when the skill level had reached a point to be able to use it. Another thought is to buy the 6x9 right off the bat, and keep it a little "soft" to slow it down a bit. Once you get the hang of the moves you can add a little bit of air at a time to "speed up" the bag as your proficiency increases.

Comment

• Chaban
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Oct 2017

Great, thanks Dutchman. I think I'll go with the 6x9 and under-inflate as you suggested.

Comment

• riqal
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2006

I would also suggest the everlast elite size medium as a good beginner bag. It is an excellent bag that has a hell of a bounce. You can under inflate it until you get good. Then pump it up and it will give you a good workout.

Comment

• Chaban
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Oct 2017

Thanks Riqal for the suggestion. I have already bought a Title 6x9 (should be arriving soon) but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Comment

• jaja6009
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2016

Which Title 6x9 did you go with? There are so many different Title bags now. I really like their Genuine Leather line, it's a baseball glove leather with a multi-colored pattern to the panels. Also if you do not like the bounce of the Title, you can change the bladder to make it livelier.

Comment

• Chaban
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Oct 2017

Jaja, I got the red 'Title Super' but I have a crap freestanding heavy bag/speedball unit at the moment so haven't been able to use it effectively yet til I stabilize it. I have seen those Genuine Leather ones, really nice looking, definitely on my list, just need a decent platform first.

Comment

• jaja6009
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2016

I like the Red Super 6x9. I don't own one but have hit on one. Good solid first bag. At work I gave up on our freestanding board attached to a heavy bag. No matter how we tried to solidify it it just never rebounded good. Hopefully you'll be up and running on a good platform soon.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...