• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

The price of a cable

Time for a rant on the price of cables. How is it that a 4 pin firewire cable is < $5 over the internet, yet Best Buy, Compusa, and Office Depot all want $20 or $29 for a lousy 6' cable ??? The downside of the internet is that you get socked with nearly as much shipping charge as the price of the cable itself.

Check this out:
    4 pin to 4 pin - 3 feet - $24.99
    The official sony cable - 59.99 !!!
    4 pin to 4 pin - 6 feet - $31.99
    Geeksquad - $35.99 - "Corrosion proof"

Internet:
    4pin to 4pin 6 ft - $4.95 - Site appears to be half broken or something
    4pin to 4pin 3ft - $3.00 - Minimum order $10
    4p/4p 3ft - $3.49 with $8.42 shipping
    Last edited by Tim; 02-12-2006, 08:16 AM.
  • Tim

• Jan 2006

E-bay to the rescue - $5.90 with free shipping

Comment

• Varflips
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2006

Yeah i used to work at best buy. Its nuts how much that stuff is marked up. we would get our discount at like 5% over cost. id get 17 dollar cables for 4 bucks. thats why i dont shop there anymore, im kinda jaded. hahahaha

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Tim
        E-bay to the rescue - $5.90 with free shipping
        I ended up going with a 6' 4pin to 4pin firewire cable from e-bay - $5.48 shipped to my door in < 7 days. Take that, compusa, best buy and circuit city. It's unbelievable that these things can't be had for < $25 at these retailers

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

I'm pretty sure that's how they make their money since they sure as hell aren't making it off computers and other components. Ever buy a laptop from them? They really try to steer you into buying the extended warranty, printer cables, USB hubs, bags, etc., etc.

I highly recommend Newegg for this kind of stuff. They ship fast and are very good about their warranty. Check them out at www.newegg.com.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...