• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acidragon
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Advice on Bag for kicking

Hey guys, new to this form... I currently own a everlast 100 pound bag thats like a brick wall on one side. I'm looking for a new bag that can double as a kicking bag also. Has anyone used this bag?

Or do you guys recommend a hydrostrike or hydrocore bag? Thanks!
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

I have a powair water bag and it is much easier on the hands than a sand-filled bag. However, some sand filled bags are "soft filled". Ringside sells these types of bags. Anyway, the everlast hydrostrike bag would be a good choice. Although I have never kicked my powair water bag, my guess is that it can probably take it. And it would be easier on the feet than the angle bag.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by acidragon View Post
      Hey guys, new to this form... I currently own a everlast 100 pound bag thats like a brick wall on one side. I'm looking for a new bag that can double as a kicking bag also. Has anyone used this bag?

Or do you guys recommend a hydrostrike or hydrocore bag? Thanks!
      I punched on one of those everlast angle bags at Ruffo's gym. It was very good, not brick hard at all. Definitely a bag you could use for an extended amount of time. There is a HUGE difference between the Everlast stuff you get online vs the stuff they sell in retail outlets such as Sports Authority, etc.

I also like water bags. The appeal of the angle bag is the ability to do upper cuts as well as other punches. Not sure I've seen any angle bags that are water filled...

So the key factor here is , do you want to be able to throw proper uppercuts or not?

Comment

• acidragon
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        There is a HUGE difference between the Everlast stuff you get online vs the stuff they sell in retail outlets such as Sports Authority, etc.

I also like water bags. The appeal of the angle bag is the ability to do upper cuts as well as other punches. Not sure I've seen any angle bags that are water filled...

So the key factor here is , do you want to be able to throw proper uppercuts or not?
        What did you mean exactly by theres a difference between online and Sports Authority? Quality is better online or the other way around?

Well I was looking at the angle bag because it is ideal for kicks since most kicks are not horizontal but more of an upward angle so that bag has the angle to match your kicks. My fears were that after soem time it would just turn to a brick...

Comment

• Kyle
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by acidragon View Post
          What did you mean exactly by theres a difference between online and Sports Authority? Quality is better online or the other way around?

Well I was looking at the angle bag because it is ideal for kicks since most kicks are not horizontal but more of an upward angle so that bag has the angle to match your kicks. My fears were that after soem time it would just turn to a brick...
          i dont know much about the angle bag but with regards to over time it will turn to a brick...heavy bags tend to settle to the bottom which wud make it harder near the bottom not the angled part where you till be hitting.
          ________
          Vaporizer Vidoes
          Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• riqal
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2006

You might be interested in this: http://www.ringside.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WTRFT

It's a water bag so it will not ever turn to brick hard. It is pricey, though, and at 200 lbs you might have problems finding a place to hang it. It's not the end of the world if you cannot throw uppercuts as effectively on this bag as on the angle bag.

But if it were me, yes go with the hydrostrike bag. Water bags, I think, provide a much more awesome punching experience than traditional filled bags. Make sure you get the foam/water hydrostrike as opposed to the water only hydrostrike.
            Last edited by riqal; 06-18-2009, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• acidragon
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2009

Do you guys know if the hydrostrike bag would freeze, would it rip the bladder? I would have to keep it in a garage with no heat year around...

Comment

• riqal
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2006

It would probably be ok if you didn't fill the bladder to the max, although I am not really sure. I can tell you this - I left my powair water bag in the garage all winter long in single digit temperatures and the water did not freeze. Maybe the foam around the bladder protects the water from freezing.

Comment

• Kyle
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
                  It would probably be ok if you didn't fill the bladder to the max, although I am not really sure. I can tell you this - I left my powair water bag in the garage all winter long in single digit temperatures and the water did not freeze. Maybe the foam around the bladder protects the water from freezing.
                  awesome! i was sure it wud freeze...good to know
                  ________
                  Club Royal Condo
                  Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• acidragon
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2009

My Everlast hydrostrike bag came the other day in the mail. My old heavy bag was a 100 lb everlast. I noticed right off the bat that the new 100 lb bag was a lot shorter than my old one. The new water bag has an awesome feel. Kicks and punches feel great. No hard spot! Just make sure you leave some space in the bladder for expansion when you strike the bag. I left like half a gallon of space and then pressed the bag down and capped it. :P

Comment

• riqal
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Aug 2006

Glad to hear that you like your hydrostrike bag. I have decided to wait until my Powair bag falls apart before I buy the Hydrostrike bag.

Comment

• acidragon
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jun 2009

yeah id go with the next size up for the hydrobag since its smaller than the same weight of a conventional bag. I got the one with the foam so i can kick it also. It also came with a swivel on the chain which I never had... so the bag spins if i hit it on an angle.

Comment

• Title Fight
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jun 2009

Those Foam/Water Hydrostrike bags look sweet!

i have been looking for something that is a little more forgiving on my hands and those look perfect. I am guessing the size for the 100 lbs Hydrostrike Foam/Water is 13" X 36" ?

oh and i am just a little curious, how much does it weigh unfilled?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• riqal
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by MelloYello
                            I posted a thread here comparing the "softness" of some of the more mainstream heavybags:

I didn't include waterbags because they (at least the foam/water ones) are going to be softer than the filled heavybags and while I've had one that leaked right away and another that I didn't own long enough (before sumwun snaked it ) to tell, at some point the bladder is going to go and you'll have a room full of water
                            But don't let this keep any of you out there from buying a water/foam or a water only bag. Sure eventually there will be a leak, but it could be years before it happens. The new Title water bags have a 10 year warranty on the bladder, so they must be very strong bladders. And if the bladder does leak, it would probably start out as a very small leak (a dripping type leak), rather than a sudden explosion of water. I owned my first Powair water bag for 8 years before getting rid of it. It took 8 years of harsh punishment and the bladder was fine the day I got rid of it.
                            Last edited by riqal; 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• acidragon
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jun 2009

the bag is shipped unfolded and at fullsize which is pretty smart of everlast. The foam and leather wont be wrinkled since its not folded. The bladder is flexiable and folded in a plastic bag. Id say the bag is about 3 feet tall 100 lb bag which is a little short for me... but on the website it doesnt tell you the height.

Im thinking alot of people have the bladder leak on them after a few uses because they fill it totally full and therefore there is no room for expansion when its struck. Like i said earlier I left some space on top and then pushed the bag in on itself then capped it (so there is no air but room for the bag to grow) so when its hit it will use that empty space to expand.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...