X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jumpy
    • Feb 2008

My irrational want: Tuf-Wear super bag gloves

For some reason, I am drawn to these bag gloves.

Now I already have a great pair of Twins bag gloves, so there is no reason to get another pair of gloves, but for some reason I really want these guys. They aren't pretty or visually refined and I've never put on a pair, but I just want to go grab them and use them.

I know, it's weird. I've had girlfriends who are obsessed with hand bags and shoes and now I kind of understand.

Anyone try these suckers out? Are they worth the buy?
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

Don't get them. Keep your life simple and stick with what you have until it wears out. Yes, it is an irrational want, and you will end up regretting spending the money for something you don't need. For twenty years, I had just one speed bag. Then all of a sudden I have six - I bought 5 within a one year period. I also have more platforms then I need, so one that I paid good money for is just sitting in my garage collecting dust. No I am not going to mount two platforms in my gararge - that would be ridiculous! I regret wasting money for things that I really don't need and end up not being used.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jumpy View Post
      For some reason, I am drawn to these bag gloves.

Now I already have a great pair of Twins bag gloves, so there is no reason to get another pair of gloves, but for some reason I really want these guys. They aren't pretty or visually refined and I've never put on a pair, but I just want to go grab them and use them.

I know, it's weird. I've had girlfriends who are obsessed with hand bags and shoes and now I kind of understand.

Anyone try these suckers out? Are they worth the buy?
      Believe it or not, I have been digitizing many of my older videotaped workouts from 1991 - 1994 when I did a lot of heavybag work and kicking drills in a healthclub that is now the YMCA. I found a lot of old footage I forgot I had - and I was using these tufwear gloves exclusively. I got them from the guy that was the sales manager at Tuf-Wear, since I had been talking to them about developing a speed bag program, sent them a video of me hitting the speed bag and he sent me the gloves. I wore those suckers for YEARS, and only stopped when that club burned down and my heavybag chain on the back porch broke.

I really like them, however one night I got stung on the hand by a small scorpion that had crawled inside one of the gloves that I had left out one night. Last time I did that.

At the time, I really liked them. But having used many others now, I don't think there's a lot of difference. It's just a matter of brand preference.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

Agreed, if what you have works, then stick with it. What's important is the workout and have fun.

Comment

• MikeTarheel
          • Sep 2009

I have a pair of - I don't know what you call them - cut off at the knuckle gloves for weight training (velcro strap at wrist). I'm back in the house now to watch the DVD but they're basic - for weight training - they're even okay for bag work. My hands are fairly well 'calloused' *but not on the outside/on the inside - because I do alot of work on the property and I do alot of gardening - we had a Great Year here by the way and I shipped alot out - next year I know of a At Least One Person on here who is going to get some soups, salsas and sauces from me.

But I have a pair of - pretty darn sure they're called HARBINGER gloves - not the boxing mitts you posted, but these are for Speed/DBEG work - and I'm glad I have them. The have a core to grip inside the knuckle, they're light and not too bulky.

I can see I'm going to need them as I embark on developing some skills in earnest.

I don't know all the bags available - that one that comes from London looks Very Intriguing (soft-leather/look/multi panels). The one that Skunk uses looks Dyn-O-Mite but I fear that is too small/fast for me to learn with.

I have only a larger Everlast - which has weathered to fine softness (been through a few blatters), a new smaller Title which is soft from Day One. Same with the MEXDBE's; the Titles are fine/soft leather (mex-style) but the Everlast SDBE is more/almost 'pleathery' - will give your hands a snap here and there - but Very Durable (it says it's Genuine Cowhide on the bag - had it for years but haven't always had it up - it's a favorite).

Sorry to be posting so much I just received Alan's SBB and I'm like a Kid in the Candy Store.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by riqal View Post
            you will end up regretting spending the money for something you don't need. --- No I am not going to mount two platforms in my gararge - that would be ridiculous!
            HAHA! Riqal is right about everything he said except in his comment on 2 platforms....
            2 platforms? Ridiculous??? Unecessary? Well maybe if having more than one pair of shoes is....haha..... of course you need two...everyone does! How are you going to have speed bag parties without at least two! HAHA...

I have two in my garage and love it. Any friends that come over can hang out and bag, I can show them some stuff and they work on it and we are both baggin'! My daughter has a drum throne under one so I can hang with her and double bag!
            Plus, for all the times I've been in the speed bag truck with Alan Kahn, Jordan, Bag Shed Kid, Hippie, the speed bag truck driver Josh (6'8" 300 and somethin' lbs!!!!, and others, I wish there were 2 so we could be baggin' together and not having to wait turns!
            Anyhow, that is just how I see it....
            But I also have 20 bags....and 5 Les Pauls and like 30-40 snare drums.... but... bags, Les Pauls and snares rule!!!
            BAG ON!

Comment

• MikeTarheel
              • Sep 2009

Yes, I could live with 2 speed boards.

If they were mounted right next to each other I imagine some of you guys on here would develop routines to hitting them both at the same time! Then the call would come to mount 4 boards and work the pattern among them. It boggles the cabeza.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...