How do I fill and mount a Powair Heavy Bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kultusmann
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2009

How do I fill and mount a Powair Heavy Bag?

Hi y´all! I´m new to this forum and have a very "n00b" question I nonetheless need answered.

Years ago I bought a powair 110 lb bag, but controversy around its placement caused it to end up in storage for quite some time. Now I´ve finally dug it up again, found a nice spot for it and I´m ready to hang it in the wooden ceiling in the basement - but I have no idea how!

The spring on top ends in two hooks that won´t fit any of the attachments I´ve seen around the net, such as this one.

But, perhaps even more basic, how do I fill the sucker with water? On top of the bag there is a rubber tube with a nozzle or somesuch on the end, but how on earth do i fill it through that? Should I use a garden hose or pour water into it through some kind of funnel or what?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kultusmann; 07-27-2009, 12:59 PM. Reason: added images
  • Kultusmann
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2009

Thanks a lot for the advice! I´ll give that a try and hope to get it filled and in place later today. I´ll let you know how it went!

Comment

• Kultusmann
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2009

Ok, after some fiddling I decided to attach the hose to the nozzle using a hose clamp and duct tape to make a tight fit. I was worried about the air in the bag being unable to escape, and when I checked for this after about 10 min. I got a blow-dryer strength jet of air in the face. I had to place the bag upright for the last part of the filling-process, to allow all the air to escape, but now it´s all hunky-dory. Now I´m just waiting for my wife to bring home some hooks and stuff so I can hang it from the cieling.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Kultusmann; 07-28-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Kultusmann
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jul 2009

Ok, it didn´t get up without a fight. Seems the spring wouldn´t do anything when I hung it the way I did at first (might have needed a second piece like the "U" shaped thing with hooks on it), so I decided to eliminate the spring altoghter and attach it directly to the O-ring. This also means the bag isn´t hanging too low.

It seems the bag can take a bit more water when it´s hanging, compared to when it was standing on the ground, so I´ll fill it some more tomorrow. For now, I´m quite satisfied.

Thanks again for your help MelloYello!
        Attached Files

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MelloYello
          Personally I like the use of a spring because not only does it absorb some shock and save your ceiling but it also provides an element of "bounciness" which, IMHO, provides a more enjoyable hitting experience.
          The problem is that the spring system that came with your bag isn't ideal since the spring itself doesn't have the "upturned" ends that facilitate hooking onto the mount.

I would check out this style of ($10-$13) spring:
          http://www.everlast.com/heavy-bag-springs.html
          Silly question MelloYello.How would the bag be hung on the spring? Between the links on the bag and the hook in the ceiling or directly to ceiling? Could the same type of heavy duty spring be purchased at the Home Depot? Would I need one or two? Ok, silly "questions" lol
          sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Thanks!! I'll have to try that out. If I do find some at HD that can handle 70# or more, I'll compare price and let you know.
            sigpic

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kultusmann View Post
              Ok, after some fiddling I decided to attach the hose to the nozzle ...
              I can't offer advice for your question, but I wanted to say that the Norway countryside looks very nice

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...