• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Give this a try....

Amazing combination

(* PS: He was 85 yrs old when he sent this to me..... )

First you have to understand what he is doing. Look closely. I have never seen Anyone else do this -

and don't think I haven't tried.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

that cat is pretty good for his age. im impressed.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
      that cat is pretty good for his age. im impressed.
      He actually does a few other combinations I had never seen before. It is amazing how some people will just see things in the bag that others don't. Some of his other techniques and combo mixs were interesting variations. I was able to do them pretty quickly - but the above link continues to stump the band. It is the only combination I have ever seen that I absolutely cannot replicate with any competency. For that reason, I call it the single most amazing combination I have ever seen. He also had some unique ways of using a hook punch. I'll mix up different video and post it this weekend.

....and the reason he sent me a video was to demonstrate a swivel modification he had created using a chainlink swivel. In fact, he made his own board and the hanger from the metal pole in his basement.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 01-12-2007, 07:00 AM.
      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chawncy
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2006

Very nice combo's, but look a t the height and size of the bag. It would be hard to reproduce w/o dropping the bag down to almost waist height.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chawncy View Post
          Very nice combo's, but look a t the height and size of the bag. It would be hard to reproduce w/o dropping the bag down to almost waist height.
          Very perceptive, Chawncy. Yes, there are two keys to this: First the size of the bag, (very large) and second, the Belly of the bag is at his chest. That allows the inward elbow movements to be easier and move in on more of a straight angle.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillyMack
            • Sep 2006

I was able to replicate this combo with a fair amount of success. You don't have to have that big of a bag, nor do you have to drop it to waist height.

I simply let a little air out of my bag so it wouldn't rebound so fast. Then I went throught the motions slowly until it felt right. I can't nail it 100% or with a lot of speed but a few more days practicing I'll be right up there.

This one is very challenging...I can't nail it 100% but after a few weeks of practice...
            Last edited by BillyMack; 01-14-2007, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Good job Billy Mack. I went and put my big 10x12 on there and was able to do it somewhat. I'm sure with practice it could be mastered and you seem to be well on your way.

As I was doing this, it occurred to me that this is nothing but the 4 count hit that Alan teaches but you have to do it with no bounce in between cycling from side to side. The problem I had was that I am used to starting with an outward elbow and doing it more in a downward (more in a vertical plane) motion instead of side to side horizontally. I'm used to starting this hit with an outward elbow, and it appears thats what it is, but the arms are held in a horizontal plane.

I just went back and viewed both videos again, I see what I'm doing wrong. You don't hit twice on the outer elbow when changing sides, you just go straight back to a FCP (or a variation of it) after the elbow, which is followed by a double FSP and then an inside or inner elbow hit. (Now Alan's going to be disappointed and yell at me for not reading my Speedbag Bible enough to know the proper abbreviations) LOL, I'll brush up, I've been neglecting my Speedbag Bible for too long now.

Alan, I'm really confused, how is this difficult for you?
              Last edited by Chris M; 01-14-2007, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• BillyMack
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                ...you just go straight back to a FCP (or a variation of it) after the elbow, which is followed by a double FSP and then an inside or inner elbow hit.
                ya, the hardest part is coming back with the fist after the elbow; there's only a small window to nail it and you have to change directions in the same motion. It's all about timing; come back quick after the elbow but go slow when switching hands.

let some air out of your bag and just go slow and light through the motions, get the feel then gradually bring up the speed.

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                  ya, the hardest part is coming back with the fist after the elbow; there's only a small window to nail it and you have to change directions in the same motion. It's all about timing; come back quick after the elbow but go slow when switching hands.

let some air out of your bag and just go slow and light through the motions, get the feel then gradually bring up the speed.
                  OTES is what I'm comparing it to, and no, I didn't cheat by looking it up, it slipped my mind and I just now remembered it.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Good job Billy Mack. I went and put my big 10x12 on there and was able to do it somewhat. I'm sure with practice it could be mastered and you seem to be well on your way.

As I was doing this, it occurred to me that this is nothing but the 4 count hit that Alan teaches but you have to do it with no bounce in between cycling from side to side. The problem I had was that I am used to starting with an outward elbow and doing it more in a downward (more in a vertical plane) motion instead of side to side horizontally. I'm used to starting this hit with an outward elbow, and it appears thats what it is, but the arms are held in a horizontal plane.

I just went back and viewed both videos again, I see what I'm doing wrong. You don't hit twice on the outer elbow when changing sides, you just go straight back to a FCP (or a variation of it) after the elbow, which is followed by a double FSP and then an inside or inner elbow hit. ..

Alan, I'm really confused, how is this difficult for you?
                    My analysis of the original video, in real time and slow motion, never saw an Outward Elbow. The Older gentleman always starts this combo from a Front Fist Roll, but his fists are really in Front Straight Punch (FSP) Position. I also tried getting into this from and Out-In Four Way Elbow (O-I 4way) then doing continuous alternating repetitive Inward-Triple Elbow Strikes with only one rebound inbetween. (This would be an advanced front punching combo, using one rebound instead of three.)

You can plainly see this in BillyMacks video, but he does it in more of a one arm Inward-Double Elbow ' Front Circle Punch method. [ I-DES ' FCP ] I have done that combo for years, but never changed arms to make it continuously alternating after ONE rebound with any significant speed. At least not at the speed of my posted video, or even that of BillyMack's. Why? I don't know. But I have never been very proficient with the Inward Elbows.

I have no doubt BillyMack will soon take this to speed similar to Front Fist Rolling, and mix it into many other combinations.

Score one for BillyMack.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2006

Out-In Four Way Elbow (O-I 4way)
                      That's the abbreviation I was looking for.

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
                        Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

well i think

i really dont like the hit much i can do the hit but only on a big bag! i dont see any point in continueing the hit or practicing it because of not being able to use my little bag but yall other speed baggers knock your socks off learning one hit rather than gettin good at the hits you all ready know ight yall peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by SpeedBagSkunk View Post
                          i really dont like the hit much i can do the hit but only on a big bag! i dont see any point in continueing the hit or practicing it because of not being able to use my little bag but yall other speed baggers knock your socks off learning one hit rather than gettin good at the hits you all ready know ight yall peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          It's a challenge to try a new hit we haven't seen before and it's interesting to see a new hit or combination that someone has come up with, that's why we're discussing it. Added to that, it's being done by a guy that's almost (but not quite) twice my age, let alone the fact that someone from my grandfather's generation took the time to record it electronically and upload it to Alan and youtube is pretty remarkable in itself. Most people in his children's generation are scared of, or at the very least, very intimidated by computer technology, to say nothing about him having an ongoing interest in physical fitness at his age. To think he took the time to contact one of the world's experts in speed bagging research and documentation to challenge him to replicate a combination he discovered is extraordinary. I have tremendous respect and admiration for this old man.

Kudos to him for his efforts and to BillyMack for being the first to provide a clip to prove that he could reproduce the combination in a very short time period.

I'll remain humble myself.
                          Last edited by Chris M; 01-15-2007, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speed bag senior

It's a challenge to try a new hit we haven't seen before and it's interesting to see a new hit or combination that someone has come up with, that's why we're discussing it. Added to that, it's being done by a guy that's almost (but not quite) twice my age,... I have tremendous respect and admiration for this old man.

Kudos to him for his efforts and to BillyMack for being the first to provide a clip to prove that he could reproduce the combination in a very short time period.

I'll remain humble myself.
                            Here is a more expansive video of some more of his combinations. Some very interesting uses of the hook punch with outward elbows.

Over the years, I have learned that everyone has their own preferences. Some prefer big bags, some small. Some like the bag high, others like it lower. Some people always seem to hit the bag really hard and fast, others hit at slower speeds. When you are around many people who hit the bag, you may also begin to notice that you can recognize the sound of certain individuals, for most have their own unique style or punching "beat". You may know who is on the bag without looking.

The older individual in this video did NOT send this footage to me as a challenge to see if I could replicate his combinations - but only to demonstrate a modification he made to the swivel. I was immediately struck by the uniqueness of his combinations, some of which I had never seen or done before. It reminds me of how much more there is to know and do on the bag. I believe there are probably many variations on techniques and hundreds of combinations possible that await to be revealed. Personally, I will rejoice in seeing and possibly learning them. If I can not personally do them, then I will still admire their originality and respect the skill it takes to do it.

I find my bags work best without the "air" of Envy and Jealousy inside them. I am just happy that I know enough to understand what someone else does, and perhaps explain it to others.

...and for the record, "Skunk", your advanced punching combination of Continously Alternating Downward-Double Elbow Strikes
                            [ D-DES ' D-DES ] was also a very unique combination I have never seen or done before. Great variation using two inward moving techniques - which I don't normally think of joining together. When my left shoulder allows me to give it an honest effort, it is also on my list of "want to trys.."
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• saifullah21
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Nov 2006

Gotta agree with speedbag. It's refreshing to see how others bring their own flavor. Check this guy's elbow combos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sbCsddSn_o

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...