• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TKO
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2009

Just picked up TKO Platform Set from Joe's Sports

Hi all, I'm brand new here. I live in Seattle and have been wanting to start speedbagging for a while now. Me being impatient and not as resourceful as I thought, I went to Joe's Sports and picked up this TKO 6 piece Platform set. It looked like an alright deal especially for a beginner.

*note: TKO is my handle on many forums, has nothing to do with this set I just picked up, heh.

I'm planning to set it up tonight after I finish my homework. I hope its not a crappy one.
  • TKO
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2009

here are some pictures...

im having a bit of a problem with the bag going upwards.. .like the ball swivel raises from the swivel mount
    Attached Files

Comment

• Whippet
      • Nov 2008

Do you mean that the ball is moving upwards inside of the swivel housing when you are striking the bag (making a clunking sort of noise)? If so, you will need to do some reading and work on technique. That is "normal" when you start out if your arms/hands are not in the correct position; and compounded if you are hitting the bag too hard - as opposed to "controlling" it as the Speed Bag Bible illustrates/explains.
      It appears as though the bag might little soft too, but it is really hard to tell from a photo.

Comment

• TKO
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2009

Thanks for the info, I thought it might be my technique as this is my first time hitting it. I just thought I remembered hearing something about taping something.

I'll definitely need to check out the bible.

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Another area of concern is the length of the eye-bolt and the S-hook. The extra length of each will slow down the bag because the arc through which the bag will swing is longer than if these two pieces were shorter.

That being said, they shouldn't be a problem early on, since you are just learning to hit the bag correctly and under "control." Once you progress to the stage of punching "all around the bag", then you may want to look into another swivel.

Good luck with your progress and welcome to the forum. Keep us updated.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Biff View Post
            Another area of concern is the length of the eye-bolt and the S-hook. The extra length of each will slow down the bag because the arc through which the bag will swing is longer than if these two pieces were shorter.

That being said, they shouldn't be a problem early on, since you are just learning to hit the bag correctly and under "control." Once you progress to the stage of punching "all around the bag", then you may want to look into another swivel.

Biff is right! The TKO swivel hangs too low, and in the case of speed bags, that is not a good thing! hahaha...... Yup, you do not want extra length in the swivel dept.!
            But any bagging is good bagging so be psyched that you didn't wait 8 years like me to finally hang the dang thing up!
            Welcome to the forum!
            BAG TO THE BONE!

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TKO View Post
              here are some pictures...

im having a bit of a problem with the bag going upwards.. .like the ball swivel raises from the swivel mount
              just wanted to let ya know i had that same swivel and its not good. it will start jamming up in the housing soon...go to walmart and get the plastic ball hook or chain link and i guarantee you will notice a world of difference.
              ________
              Weed Bubblers
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• TKO
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Biff View Post

Thanks for the feedback Biff.

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                Biff is right! The TKO swivel hangs too low, and in the case of speed bags, that is not a good thing! hahaha...... Yup, you do not want extra length in the swivel dept.!
                But any bagging is good bagging so be psyched that you didn't wait 8 years like me to finally hang the dang thing up!
                Welcome to the forum!
                BAG TO THE BONE!
                Well I knew that if I wanted to start I'd have to start right when I was thinking about it.. so my lunch break I drove over to Joe's and picked it up. I'm definitely psyched. Thanks

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                just wanted to let ya know i had that same swivel and its not good. it will start jamming up in the housing soon...go to walmart and get the plastic ball hook or chain link and i guarantee you will notice a world of difference.
                I'm really dissappointed to hear about the swivel. I could tell by the looks of it that it wasn't great quality. I'm going to follow the suggestions and get some hitting techniques down... it is really slow tho. Walmart is a good 30 minute drive for me and I'd like to be sure they have it before I drive out there.

I'm going on vacation to SoCal for the next week and will be back Tuesday. Maybe someone can reccommend the best swivel I can purchase online today and it should be here by the time I get back? The speed bag is listed as 10 x 7. Maybe reccommend another bag as well? To achieve a different style? Shoot I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have picked up this set if I'm going to be replacing everything anyway. $80 for a circular board isn't the best bargain. It did come with some gloves, wraps, and a jump rope... but probably again quesitonable quality. I didn't have high expectations because usually the mega variety, all inclusive sets of things are usually lacking in quality.

Are all swivels the universal square pattern or will I have to drill new holes? This will be a tad bit annoying because the way I've mounted it... directly into a beam of my house. The 4.5" woods screws I got are going through the swivel, board, and into the beam. I won't mind pulling them out for the sake of a better set up, but I'd like to be sure I'm getting something good.

Comment

• Kyle
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2006

Maybe someone can reccommend the best swivel I can purchase online today and it should be here by the time I get back?

Are all swivels the universal square pattern or will I have to drill new holes? This will be a tad bit annoying because the way I've mounted it... directly into a beam of my house. The 4.5" woods screws I got are going through the swivel, board, and into the beam. I won't mind pulling them out for the sake of a better set up, but I'd like to be sure I'm getting something good.
                  what type of workout u plan on doing? the "trick style" with elbows and hitting all around the bag or the standard boxing workout only hitting from the front of the bag? if your going wit the "trick style" the consensus is the metal ball hook style swivel http://www.fitness-equipment.com/aca...ystems_30.html its the third item down. if your going standard boxing workout the u-bolt type swivels are great http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html or http://store.titleboxing.com/everlas...ro-swivel.html... also most swivels seem to have the same hole patter. i would also suggest u used bolts and nuts to attach its because the constant beating on the bag will vibrate screws loose.
                  ________
                  Problems with paxil
                  Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• Whippet
                    • Nov 2008

Thanks for the feedback Biff.

Well I knew that if I wanted to start I'd have to start right when I was thinking about it.. so my lunch break I drove over to Joe's and picked it up. I'm definitely psyched. Thanks

I'm really dissappointed to hear about the swivel. I could tell by the looks of it that it wasn't great quality. I'm going to follow the suggestions and get some hitting techniques down... it is really slow tho. Walmart is a good 30 minute drive for me and I'd like to be sure they have it before I drive out there.

I'm going on vacation to SoCal for the next week and will be back Tuesday. Maybe someone can reccommend the best swivel I can purchase online today and it should be here by the time I get back? The speed bag is listed as 10 x 7. Maybe reccommend another bag as well? To achieve a different style? Shoot I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have picked up this set if I'm going to be replacing everything anyway. $80 for a circular board isn't the best bargain. It did come with some gloves, wraps, and a jump rope... but probably again quesitonable quality. I didn't have high expectations because usually the mega variety, all inclusive sets of things are usually lacking in quality.

Most [swivels] are a standard pattern that I have seen, but not all of them.
                    I think that you will find once you get into this a spare drum is a nice thing to have. You could always mount it up with the brackets that it came with - some of the guys add an extra drum of particle board for thickness - and drill your swivel holes right through so that you can mount the swivel with thin countersunk bolts and nuts/washers on top.
                    You can get started with what you have or for just over 100 bones many of the troops here have an Everlast model that is popular. Also check out the hand-made work here in the applicable section - some amazing ideas in there too.
                    It's not the destination, it's in the journey - or something like that. You get the idea. Fáilte!

Comment

• TKO
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                      what type of workout u plan on doing? the "trick style" with elbows and hitting all around the bag or the standard boxing workout only hitting from the front of the bag? if your going wit the "trick style" the consensus is the metal ball hook style swivel http://www.fitness-equipment.com/aca...ystems_30.html its the third item down. if your going standard boxing workout the u-bolt type swivels are great http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html or http://store.titleboxing.com/everlas...ro-swivel.html... also most swivels seem to have the same hole patter. i would also suggest u used bolts and nuts to attach its because the constant beating on the bag will vibrate screws loose.
                      Definitely trick style. So I'm assuming this metal ball hook style swivel is a really good one since you jumped to it from the Walmart suggestion? I may order that tonight.

Comment

• Kyle
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2006

Definitely trick style. So I'm assuming this metal ball hook style swivel is a really good one since you jumped to it from the Walmart suggestion? I may order that tonight.
                        ya the one from walmart is the same style except its plastic...i like it but i do think the metal wud be alot better and last longer.
                        ________
                        VOLCANO VAPORIZERS
                        Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...