X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

"Heck!" That shed looks a lot like a dungeon. I bet there's a lot more to that than meats the eye.

Nice to meet you Bagular!

Anyway, here's my spin on this.

I won't use brand names because this may happen to any leather product. In fact it is often considered character in the leather rather than a flaw, particularly if your looking at a chesterfield lounge suite. Which it just so happens that I have.

As long as it's not occuring around the seams or on the seam itself it wouldn't be so bad. The only thing I can think of in contrast to that is that the leather may stretch in those area's, but the bag should be broken in by this stage and all movement in the construction of the bag should have settled.

I've included some pictures of some of my bags, one of which was sold to me as an antique. I initially thought the antique was used on an old steel punching ring, but I wonder. Another is a picture of my tool belt which I've had for over 15 years.

I have found that a good leather conditioner usually settles those general cracks. Applied in the off seasons (autum, spring) should keep the bag in good condition for those more extreme months. Leather is made up of compressed hair fibres and in those areas where it bends back and forth, after time it is only natural that there is going to be a crease mark left there.

If deep craking in the leather is occurring on or around the seam, well this bag is probably on its last legs anyway. Avoid conditoning, or over conditioning this area. Making the leather subtle in these situations may just have the reverse effect and depending on how hard you inflate your bag could depend on how much longer that bag stays in the game
    Attached Files
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Roc, I would say judging by the color of the leather and the style of the logotype that 4207 dates from the mid 1980's. I would deduce from the width of the wear area that it was more than likely used on an undersized platform than a rebound ring. I've got two of those, one from 1980 and another one from the 60's. I know the provenence of the first one, which has the same wear pattern as yours, and it was used on a 24" platform, which is too small for a 14x9 bag.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
        ...and depending on how hard you inflate your bag could depend on how much longer that bag stays in the game
        GREAT advice. Over inflation will definitely advance an exterior leather split.

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Roc, I would say judging by the color of the leather and the style of the logotype that 4207 dates from the mid 1980's. I would deduce from the width of the wear area that it was more than likely used on an undersized platform than a rebound ring. I've got two of those, one from 1980 and another one from the 60's. I know the provenence of the first one, which has the same wear pattern as yours, and it was used on a 24" platform, which is too small for a 14x9 bag.
        AH HA! Proof positive of the problem of using an oversized bag on a board that is too small. A 24 inch board really cant' stand a bag over 10x7 and some 11x8's. bigger bags need bigger boards or you can ruin the bag over time, not to mention screw up the board.

Dutchman is THE MAN on speed bag history
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2006

i got my everlast speed bag yesterday and ive hit it for a couple hours today and the leather is already cracking which is kind of crappy but the action is still great. i love it. wish they used better leather but if they did use better leather that may add weight which wouldnt be great either. mines about and 8.5x6.5 so not exactly a 8x5 but still good. i find it very light compared to my rivals which is a nice change of pace. much faster as the rivals as well. next is going to be tittle bag so i can have another brand. although tittle killed me with duty charges
          ________
          Problems From Paxil
          Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• bagger_vance
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2009

My Everlast 4X6 that I bought 2 days ago is already starting to crack a little. Is that normal? I mean, just a little. Love it, though.

Comment

• bagger_vance
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2009

Nice bag shack! Kinda looks like a place where my buddy and I used to well, uh, hang out...

Pretty solid drum? Looks like it would have a nice sound. Is that a chain link swivel? Is it fast? I'm still rockin the plastic ball but it seems ok for now.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...