• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Metal ball hook swivel question....

Bag Shed Kid and I would like to know where we can get Everlast metal ball hook swivels? Are they out of production? And, is the S hook pictured in Tim's poll on the metal ball hook the only shape? It is smaller than the plastic ball hook swivel and doesn't give as many bags enough space to sit properly.

I have looked around the forum to find out but haven't. Thanks.

BAG ON!
    Last edited by spinsmashpop; 01-22-2009, 11:34 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    Bag Shed Kid and I would like to know where we can get Everlast metal ball hook swivels? Are they out of production? And, is the S hook pictured in Tim's poll on the metal ball hook the only shape? It is smaller than the plastic ball hook swivel and doesn't give as many bags enough space to sit properly.

I have looked around the forum to find out but haven't. Thanks.

BAG ON!
    Lately it seems that the "S" hook is a royal pain. Actually I think the problem is the new thick bag loop attachments. I just got the white fighter Title bag, and the new $9.99 everlast bags, and it is a struggle to get the bag loops over the small hole of the S hook. I'm going to take the swivels to metal shop and see if I can get the S hooks either Bent over sideways or cut to make room to get the bags on.

I keep a set of pliers by the bag to squeeze the bag loops or otherwise distort them to get them through the small S hole. And forget about getting the bag off.

The larger S hook on the Boxing Gear swivel makes it all a lot easier.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
      Bag Shed Kid and I would like to know where we can get Everlast metal ball hook swivels?
      Everlast is no longer producing metal ball hook swivels, they stopped about 2 years ago. For quite awhile you could still find them on store shelves, but that supply dried up long ago (I bought as many as I could during those times, like a squirrel preparing for a long hibernation, even so, I only was able to get 5 of them.)

The only way to get them now is to snatch them up on eBay, craigslist, and the occasional yard sale!

The only source of new metal ball hooks (that I know of) is Boxing Gear's swivel The actual vendor's web site is down currently, which is a bit unnerving.
      Last edited by Tim; 01-23-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        And forget about getting the bag off.
        I've got an Everlast 6x4 permanently attached to a swivel

Thank goodness it was a metal one and I could unscrew it from the base.

Comment

• dax_q
          • Jan 2008

How does the boxing gear swivel compare to the everlast swivel. I really want a metal ball hook, but don't want to waste my time/money. Is the boxing gear worth it, or do I keep trying to get an everlast swivel on ebay.
          -Dax

Comment

• Murph
            • Jan 2009

Alan's wright up on the watkins swivel is right on the money...He has a video too & he's killing it....I think in biff's video it's also a watkins swivel & he's killing it too.

I don't have a newer everlast metal ball & hook to compare it too..mine is a slightly different model a little older... I like the everlast a little better.
            But I think the watkins is nicer than the all plastic.

Alan would be the man to give an answer on if the watkins is worth it

Biff might be able to help also...

I put the plastic ball & hook inside the watkins and didn't have to drill the board to get it to fit...I like this set up allot but the plastic ball is shaving down on the metal housing...

This site offers a shorter hook also.

"Click here to order an Extra Steel Speed Ball for Your Swivel $6.90 each, a free shorter Hook is included"
            Last edited by Murph; 01-23-2009, 12:45 PM. Reason: wright right

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Murph View Post
              Alan's right up on the watkins swivel is right on the money...He has a video too & he's killing it....I think in biff's video it's also a watkins swivel & he's killing it too......
              Thanks.

Biff might be able to help also...

"Click here to order an Extra Steel Speed Ball for Your Swivel $6.90 each, a free shorter Hook is included"

Hey Murph, I had to look at the video to see what swivel I used at that time. It was the one you quoted - the Boxing Gear's® Speed bag Swivel. I still use that now. It has worked well for me.

EDIT: Didn't realize that one was the "Watkins." I have to learn to read everything before I post. As I said, I am happy with it, but can't compare it to the Everlast swivel. Sorry.
              Last edited by Biff; 01-24-2009, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• dax_q
                • Jan 2008

Thanks for the word Murph, but Alan kills any set-up. I have seen his review, but was hoping on a comparison to the everlast metal ball hook.
                -Dax

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

FWIW you can take a dremel and a metal cutting bit or cut off disk and take a little off the hook end to make it easier to put on a bag. Just shave off a little at a time until it just fits and be aware that the leather loop will compress and get smaller/thinner when it gets a little bit of wear. I would mod your hook with the most worn everlast bag that you have.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Alan's wright up on the watkins swivel is right on the money...He has a video too & he's killing it....I think in biff's video it's also a watkins swivel & he's killing it too.

I don't have a newer everlast metal ball & hook to compare it too..mine is a slightly different model a little older... I like the everlast a little better.
                    But I think the watkins is nicer than the all plastic.

Alan would be the man to give an answer on if the watkins is worth itBiff might be able to help also...

I put the plastic ball & hook inside the watkins and didn't have to drill the board to get it to fit...I like this set up allot but the plastic ball is shaving down on the metal housing...

IMO, Yes the watkins is worth it. I liked the swivel a lot and would have no problem hitting it.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dax_q
                      • Jan 2008

New thought: what about the watkins ball hook, if I remove the hook and put a flat carabiner like skunk did on his new custom swivel? That will make up for the long hook and the weird shape. What do y'all think?
                      -Dax

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
                        New thought: what about the watkins ball hook, if I remove the hook and put a flat carabiner like skunk did on his new custom swivel? That will make up for the long hook and the weird shape. What do y'all think?
                        -Dax
                        It seems to work for Skunk. Try it an see.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...