• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baglady
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2008

What to you look at while punching?

I have a basic question for you...while punching, what do you look at? This may seem like a weird question because, of course, you look at the bag, but where EXACTLY do you look at the bag and does it matter?
    When I first started, I found myself looking at the swivel. I think it's because when I first started I was reacting to the SOUND of the rhythm and not so much the hand to eye coordination.
    Now, I find myself looking at the V stitching at the top of the bag...it seems when I try to focus on watching the bag in the area that I hit it, I get out of rhythm. Any tips?

BagLady...because I hate seeing old ladies with underarm flab....
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by baglady View Post
    I have a basic question for you...while punching, what do you look at? This may seem like a weird question because, of course, you look at the bag, but where EXACTLY do you look at the bag and does it matter?
    When I first started, I found myself looking at the swivel. I think it's because when I first started I was reacting to the SOUND of the rhythm and not so much the hand to eye coordination.
    Now, I find myself looking at the V stitching at the top of the bag...it seems when I try to focus on watching the bag in the area that I hit it, I get out of rhythm. Any tips?

BagLady...because I hate seeing old ladies with underarm flab....
    I look at different areas, sometimes the swivel if it's funky, and sometimes the bag if it's warped or has a bubble. Most of the time I just of keep an open glare at the hitting area, noticing the rebound angles and hand contacts. Especially if I'm hitting at a forced fast speed. I concentrate my gaze a bit more if I'm going fast. It's kinda like a fast match of Ping Pong. In the heat of a long rally, where do you look?
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fingers
      Speed Bag Guru
      • May 2008

I have a chalk X on the wall behind the bag!! then i know if i hit level with the mark the bag will go straight!! once it is moving fast you can see it clearly

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fingers View Post
        I have a chalk X on the wall behind the bag!! then i know if i hit level with the mark the bag will go straight!! once it is moving fast you can see it clearly

Cool. Just for fun, start linking your fists through all around ( or whatever way you can..), and start picking up speed. Now start slowly crossing your eyes as you hit. Notice how the swivel splits in your double vision and you will appear to have TWO swivels and two bags going in unison. It's a neat effect. Start Front Fist Rolling and watch the bags join to be hung from two swivels.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• baglady
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2008

Oh wow...I had to read this post about crossing your eyes just for fun twice..just to make sure what I was reading...LOL...are you sure you aren't letting that speed bag hit your head?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by baglady View Post
            Oh wow...I had to read this post about crossing your eyes just for fun twice..just to make sure what I was reading...LOL...are you sure you aren't letting that speed bag hit your head?
            I've smacked myself in the nose with the bag plenty of times leaning in a bit on Reverse Fist Rolls or Reverse Double Punches. But never did it punching with my eyes crossed. I hold still when doing something goofy like that.

The hardest I've I hit myself is missing a Reverse Single Punch Completely and my fist smacks my chin. I've waylayed myself a few times over the past 35 some odd years.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fingers
              Speed Bag Guru
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Cool. Just for fun, start linking your fists through all around ( or whatever way you can..), and start picking up speed. Now start slowly crossing your eyes as you hit. Notice how the swivel splits in your double vision and you will appear to have TWO swivels and two bags going in unison. It's a neat effect. Start Front Fist Rolling and watch the bags join to be hung from two swivels.
              Sound fun i will give it a try on my next workout!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...