• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Defective speedbag!

Ok, so I've been raving about this new Title 8 x 5 bag. And it's great, but one of the panels of leather is obviously defective (see below)

I've subjected it to no abuse that would cause this. It's had some of that flaking since day 1, but it keeps getting worse. Is there anything I can do short of sending this back?
  • Longarm
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2006

Title

I know some of the people over at Title, and they are really nice. I would just call them and have them trade it out. They are very reasonable.

L

Comment

• Wizdom
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Apr 2006

this is on a different topic but my speed bag will not get any....speed.

I have one of the freestanding platforms with the speed bag on one side and the heavy bag on the other side. My problem is when I hit the speed bag I have to wait for it to bounce 3 times. I have a small bag and it has plenty of air and I tried putting some weights on top of board for the bag(but they fall off)
      any help would be great.
      thanks

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

How long have you been at this? It takes some time to get the rythm down and to get the bag moving fast. Can you post video ? That might make it easier to diagnose.

Comment

• Wizdom
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Apr 2006

umm, i can try a video. I havent been at it long...prob about a month maybe less but I watch a lot of videos and I have hit other speed bags and mine just will not get the speed others do. Even if I just hit it hard to make it go fast I still have to wait before it bounces 3 times. I watched your videos (pretty good btw) and looked at your setup pics and you have the extra bracing. Does that help any?? I believe my shakes to much to get any speed...ill try to get a vid up real quick. thanks
          Don

Comment

• Wizdom
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Apr 2006

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

i believe the link works.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Slow bag.

Originally posted by Wizdom
              this is on a different topic but my speed bag will not get any....speed.

I have one of the freestanding platforms with the speed bag on one side and the heavy bag on the other side. My problem is when I hit the speed bag I have to wait for it to bounce 3 times. I have a small bag and it has plenty of air and I tried putting some weights on top of board for the bag(but they fall off) any help would be great.
              thanks
              Hey Wizdom.

After viewing your video several times, I would make a few suggestions.

1. You are hitting from the side of the floor stand. These single pole units have NO stability when hitting in that direction, as opposed to standing in front of it and hitting toward the vertical pole. Your whole unit is rocking on every punch. Couple that with a very thin board, which gives itself when the bag hits, and both are killing any speed.

2. You appear to have a very long ball hook swivel. I'm guessing this is not an everlast ball hook but it is in a shadow and I'm not sure. But your swivel appears slow also.

3. You are punching from your shoulder, hitting downward on the bag. this puts most of your power contact going DOWN, not really INTO the bag. In baseball, your contact would be a foul tip. Try and swing more from your elbow.

4. The bag appears a little low.

5. Your bag is long and narrow. I'm guessing a century bag? try a smaller bag.

#1, #2, #3, are all speed stealers. #4 wouldn't be too bag if the otheres were fixed - Particularly #1.

Hope it helps.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
                Hey Wizdom.
                1. You are hitting from the side of the floor stand. These single pole units have NO stability when hitting in that direction, as opposed to standing in front of it and hitting toward the vertical pole. Your whole unit is rocking on every punch. Couple that with a very thin board, which gives itself when the bag hits, and both are killing any speed.
                Yes, mine doesn't work well from the side either. You must be facing the support pole.

Originally posted by speedbag
                3. You are punching from your shoulder, hitting downward on the bag. this puts most of your power contact going DOWN, not really INTO the bag. In baseball, your contact would be a foul tip. Try and swing more from your elbow.

4. The bag appears a little low.
                Definitely need the bag higher... I think that model allows the platform to go higher? The belly of the bag (fattest part) should be even with your mouth.

You're really putting a hurtin' on that bag, you shouldn't need to hit it that hard. Concentrate on the technique and forget the power for awhile, it's all about technique.

Also - if you haven't done so already read everthing on Speedbag's site - especially the Speed bag basics section:

and Speed bag combinations: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/m...=1&clientId=55

Lot's of good info there. His books and DVDs are even better.

Hope that helps!
                Last edited by Tim; 04-26-2006, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

On a somewhat related note, I found that if I put a sandbag on top of my wall mounted platforms, it makes them much quieter and elimimates vibration from the frame flexing especially with larger bags.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Sand bags over board

Originally posted by Chris M
                    On a somewhat related note, I found that if I put a sandbag on top of my wall mounted platforms, it makes them much quieter and elimimates vibration from the frame flexing especially with larger bags.
                    Actually, that would also work for the free standing frame, as long as the sandbag weight didn't tip it over. Need a lot of back end support to hold it up.

I've recently picked up an annoying "buzzing" rattle sound in my home wall unit model 400. Not sure why, buy the left side area rebounds set off a deep buzzing sound that is annoying. All the bolts are tight, so I may need to that side loose a put a foam padding between the frame and board. I don't want to add any weight over the top, for it is a fairly heavy unit for a home inner wall.

???
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Wizdom
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Apr 2006

thanks for all the advice...i normally dont hit it as hard as i did in the video, i was attempting to get it moving quicker just for the cam.

they way the room is set up is why i was trying to hit it from the side but i guess i should chage it up also the bag hits the screw hanging down and i didnt think it was good for it but i may be able to switch it around..i put a pic below to show.

the swivel is a type 5 from the best swivel topic but it isnt plastic...all metal. and it does have the long hook like 5 does. http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

i bought the stand with both the punching bag and the speed bag for $130 & i thought it was a good deal. im going to try your suggestions and let let you know how it works. thanks again for the advice.

im not sure what code you guys use to post pics and im not even sure they can be hotlinked from yahoo but ill try.

< img src="http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41c237a9zda1ffd54/c398re2/__sr_/ca0are2.jpg?phI0BUEBB7LnQUPI" >
                      this is 2 different pics tried 2 different so i hope one works

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
                        Actually, that would also work for the free standing frame, as long as the sandbag weight didn't tip it over. Need a lot of back end support to hold it up.

I've recently picked up an annoying "buzzing" rattle sound in my home wall unit model 400. Not sure why, buy the left side area rebounds set off a deep buzzing sound that is annoying. All the bolts are tight, so I may need to that side loose a put a foam padding between the frame and board. I don't want to add any weight over the top, for it is a fairly heavy unit for a home inner wall.

???
                        That's pretty much what I had on my outdoor platform. http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=24887

It made lot of racket and it was jumping up and down on the slider tubes, especially when on the front rebound. I noticed it didn't take much pressure with one hand to elimimate the noise so I went with the sandbag. I bought one of those sand filled tubes they sell at lowes for about $5.00. They sell them here in IL for people to put in their truck beds when it's icy out to promote traction. It weighs about 20 pounds or so, I'm guessing, definitely not more than 30, but it doesn't say on the bag. It's definitely less than a 45 pound plate at the gym. It really made a difference. I'll post a picture when I remember to get out the camera when it's daylight.

I highly recommend it for a cheap fix!
                        Last edited by Chris M; 04-27-2006, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...