• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OzYank
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2019

Platforms I'm making for a boxing gym

I was asked to make some speed bag platforms for a boxing gym where I volunteer. It's been a learning experience, and not without the occasional mistake. I've learned a lot and still have a way to go. Here is the progress so far.

I'm making them at a Men's Shed where I also volunteer. We have a decent shop and it makes things easy (well, sort of).
    Attached Files
  • OzYank
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2019

I'm also making the drums for the platforms. Here is one I made from some re-purposed Aussie hardwood. It is finished with linseed oil. The rounds are cut on a table saw. You might notice the Arc swivel on the drum. Haven't had a chance to use it, but that will happen fairly soon (I hope).

I made a couple of pine drums also. I'll post some pics of them soon.
    Attached Files

Comment

• OzYank
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2019

The gym I keep talking about

Some pictures of the gym where I volunteer. It's a good place. Takes all comers, and provides other services to help young people find their way.

It's a bit dingy, and it smells like sweat. In other words, a bit of heaven. A nice place to spend a few hours.

I bought the Title bag to replace a worn out Everlast Elite bag. This is the platform we want to replace.
      Attached Files

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

Wow. Very impressive!
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• florian 380
          • Nov 2012

nice project love the wood

Comment

• OzYank
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2019

Thanks, Rusty and florian 380.
            I'm hoping to finish up 2 of them and deliver them to the gym tomorrow. Just cutting the slots in the uprights now.

Comment

• RockSteadyBoxer
              • Nov 2018

Those platforms look really stout! Great job on those and the drums! The gym is lucky to have a volunteer like you!

Comment

• JoMan
                • Nov 2016

Beautiful work OzYank, and thank you for supporting the boxing youth

Comment

• OzYank
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2019

@RockSteadyBoxer and JoMan, thanks for the kind words.

I enjoy being there. Reminds me of when I trained in a boxing gym a long time ago. Things are different these days, kids are exposed to a lot of input that I (thankfully) didn't have to deal with. It's fun to watch them begin to 'get it' and see them improve.

This speed bag platform adventure has been, and continues to be, a learning experience. I decided to move on from carriage bolts and hoped to find elevator bolts. I was able to locate them, but only in boxes of 100. The cost w/shipping was too much for me to handle. I've settled on these: https://www.classicfasteners.com.au/...-5-16-unc-x-2/ . At least I can hold them while I tighten them.

I can't let these things go out unless it is something that I would use myself.
                  Last edited by OzYank; 05-10-2019, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• dad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2018

Nice

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                    Wow. Very impressive!
                    Why is it that some off the best work comes from those who give the most to others?
                    Nice work, thanks for taking the time to care.

Comment

• OzYank
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Mar 2019

@dad, thanks.

Slow progress is being made on the platforms. I mounted 2 pine drums and 1 swivel today. I've been encouraged to get these things out of the Men's Shed, and I don't blame them. They've been there longer than I anticipated.

I previously posted that I would be abandoning the pine drums in favor of MDF (that post has been edited to reflect the change). My work buddy at the Men's Shed encouraged me to have another go with the pine drums,so that's the direction I went. Life is a team sport.

The new hardware worked a treat. I was worried the fasteners would draw up into the pine because it is so soft. I was able to get a good secure hold and have the fasteners finish up flush with the surface of the drum. Time will tell me if I made the right choice.

The swivel is by Jim Bradley, an Aussie site for boxing related things. I've heard good things about them (for boxing style), but I haven't used one yet. I'll report on its performance later. I drilled the drums where the swivel mounts in order to glue in hardwood dowels so the screws would hold better. I was worried the pine would be too soft to hold the screws in the long term.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by OzYank; 05-10-2019, 05:04 AM. Reason: Forgot a detail

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

I have seen pics of the Jim Bradley swivel before. Could not buy one up here. I was intrigued because its polycarbonate (I still work with polymers, lol). The plastic U-bolt was an inspiration for the tri-hook on the Arc. Can you take a couple of pics of that swivel, especially one of the bottom and bearing, before you mount it? I'd really like to see more detail.
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• OzYank
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Mar 2019

I have seen pics of the Jim Bradley swivel before. Could not buy one up here. I was intrigued because its polycarbonate (I still work with polymers, lol). The plastic U-bolt was an inspiration for the tri-hook on the Arc. Can you take a couple of pics of that swivel, especially one of the bottom and bearing, before you mount it? I'd really like to see more detail.
                          Rusty, it's already mounted and I delivered it to the gym. We are getting some more of them soon (I hope) because there are 2 more platforms w/o swivels. When that happens I'll definitely send you some pictures.

Comment

• JoMan
                            • Nov 2016

Those came out looking very nice

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Here is a video featuring that Jim Bradley swivel. Deano brought one over from Australia at the first Annual Speed Bag Gathering in 2010.

Zach Ruffo (speed bag skunk) is hitting the Title Atomic XXS at the time.

Incredible speed from SpeedBagSkunk on the Atomic Platinum XXS bag using a Jim Bradley (super short) swivel. This happened at SPEED B.A.G. 2010 in Keyport, NJ.

and here is Deano using at home in Aussie land

It hits really fast due to low profile but has the same issues as U-bolts, in that certain "punch angle variations" make it difficult to get a dead-on accurate rebound due to the links. Notice in the "skunk" video it's awesome from front to back, looking at the open box face with little error. When he starts using Side Punching Techniques (actually a Side Single Punch, (SSP) but that's for the Techno's among us..) it fails and he misses. It is not the bags fault, it is the swivel links that force the bag to make a weird angle as the swivel has to twist from the directional force. You don't see that much "twisting" in Deano's video because he rarely hits from the front of the bag and mainly use side to side motions, so the swivel acts a lot like if its "front-to-back".
                              Last edited by Speedbag; 05-11-2019, 03:41 PM.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...