• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avocado
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2017

Purchasing used ball swivel from ebay?

I'm new to this speed bagging.
    And I really would like to learn how to do what you gurus do: hit the bag with elbow, side-swipe, back-swipe, and beat it to the music.

I even got me a copy of the Speed Bag Bible.
    I have gotten me a pretty nice bag too.

But the swivel... I'm still looking for a decent ball swivel.

So, I'm looking at ebay and seeing OLD Everlast metal swivels.

Have you purchased an used Everlast Swivel, and how did it work out for you?
    Would you recommend one of the ebay ones to a friend?
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

With the Everlast ball & hook swivels, caution must be taken as the late production ones with
    the chrome plating on the balls and the socket are prone to flaking off in heavy use, usually flying into the face (and eyes) of the user. Anything made prior to the mid to late 1990's is usually a good bet. Avoid the stamped metal ones, as they fail quite rapidly. Look for the two piece (threaded flange and socket) style that isn't chrome plated

Comment

• florian 380
      • Nov 2012

i still have a few left for sale ( the good old ones )
      Attached Files
      Last edited by florian 380; 09-16-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Bag Man
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        With the Everlast ball & hook swivels, caution must be taken as the late production ones with
        the chrome plating on the balls and the socket are prone to flaking off in heavy use, usually flying into the face (and eyes) of the user. Anything made prior to the mid to late 1990's is usually a good bet. Avoid the stamped metal ones, as they fail quite rapidly. Look for the two piece (threaded flange and socket) style that isn't chrome plated
        I have not personally had this issue with a ball hook, although I have heard it before.

There is one of the old style ones on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Everlast...sAAOSw9EJZsadZ.

It is beat up, but, you might want to take a look to see what the old style Everlast looks like. There are typically circular tool marks on the face of the male part (socket). The knurling is much sharper. The hook is offset (although this is not always the case). If it comes in a box like the one in the post you are likely ok. If it's in a plastic, it's probably the newer version.

Bag Man
        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Bag Man
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by florian 380 View Post
          i still have a few left for sale ( the good old ones )
          Grab this one.

It is as good as you are going to get.

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• jaja6009
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2016

OP SwivelTek has ball hooks out again under Forza Sport MAMA swivel. It is quiet for a ball hook.

Comment

• Bag Man
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
              OP SwivelTek has ball hooks out again under Forza Sport MAMA swivel. It is quiet for a ball hook.
              https://m.ebay.com/itm/Forza-MMA-Evo...%257Ciid%253A1
              I have one of these but have not hit on it. It is very well made.

Did not mean to imply that one brand is better/worse than the other, only that the Everlast swivel posted was in about as good a condition as you will find other than true NOS. Personally, I like the Everlasts but they are noisy. I have had some experience with other ball hooks that personally I would avoid.

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• jaja6009
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2016

I don't usually recommend anything because I know people have their own tastes. I was just throwing out options. At this year's Gathering I got to hit on a bunch of bags that I had never hit on before and got to hit on that old Everlast swivel, I never knew there could be such differences in things as a swivel and speed bag until joining this site. It sucks that there isnt some super sporting goods store that lets you try out things like you could long ago. Internet shopping may be convenient, but it's blind luck sometimes trusting people's reviews.

Comment

• REB
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2017

I don't usually recommend anything because I know people have their own tastes. I was just throwing out options. At this year's Gathering I got to hit on a bunch of bags that I had never hit on before and got to hit on that old Everlast swivel, I never knew there could be such differences in things as a swivel and speed bag until joining this site. It sucks that there isnt some super sporting goods store that lets you try out things like you could long ago. Internet shopping may be convenient, but it's blind luck sometimes trusting people's reviews.
                  I agree...And it is a good thing the Forum has the "Play it Again" to make a sale

Comment

• Bag Man
                    • Jan 2011

Indeed,

One thing I can say about the old Everlasts (the chain links as well) is that they are durable. I've had a few instances in which a piece looks great but falls apart almost immediately.

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• Avocado
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2017

Well, someone was selling a decent one in ebay.
                      So...I made my first purchase off ebay. See the pic.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Bag Man
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Avocado View Post
                        Well, someone was selling a decent one in ebay.
                        So...I made my first purchase off ebay. See the pic.
                        Looks to be in good shape.

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

Here is one for sale, not mine, no idea about the quality or seller or anything, just some auction I saw...

-Rusty
                          @ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

What do you think would be a fair price?
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• REB
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                              What do you think would be a fair price?
                              He has sold two. And I would assume at his asking price. How much DO you want to spend is the question. If I were going for it, I would throw $22 at him and see if he bites. After all he is paying for shipping. This being his last one he might be wanting to get rid of it. Also there are 8 watchers on it that may have already made a proposal.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...