Initial Delay option & Tabata round timer tweak!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thebutcher
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2009

New Feature Initial Delay option & Tabata round timer tweak!!

Hey Tim,

First up, thanks for creating this great timer, I use it everyday in my gym, its great. I have a suggestion, its not really a must but it could fit into the 'would be nice' category. An initial delay timer. E.G. another timer that counts down before the rounds start.

The other suggestion is a Tabata round timer tweak.
    When I do a Tabata work out I use an audio file I made, it goes like this
    3min rounds;
    20 sec > bell sound
    10 sec > bell sound
    20 sec > bell sound
    10 sec > bell sound
    and continues like this for 3 mins then > Bell sound
    1 min rest
    then repeats until I press stop on the media player

During the 20 second period I go 100% speed and power
    During the 10 second period I bounce on the spot, duck and weave etc..
    I do 8 - 10 of these rounds on my stamina days, its a great simulation of the fitness level you need for the ring.

It would be great if you could incorporate this type of intervals into your timer. Again a 'nice to have'. I'm not sure how well I explained this, I can upload a copy of the audio file for further clarity if you wish.

Thanks again and best regards !

Butch
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by thebutcher View Post
    First up, thanks for creating this great timer, I use it everyday in my gym, its great. I have a suggestion, its not really a must but it could fit into the 'would be nice' category. An initial delay timer. E.G. another timer that counts down before the rounds start.
    Hi Butch, Glad to hear you like the timer.

There actually *IS* a delay option already, it's called "Delay before Start" and is in the lower right hand corner of the options. How's that for customer service?

The other suggestion is a Tabata round timer tweak.
    When I do a Tabata work out I use an audio file I made, it goes like this
    3min rounds;
    During the 20 second period I go 100% speed and power
    During the 10 second period I bounce on the spot, duck and weave etc..
    Interesting. Right now the timer can do alternating regular/high intensity intervals, but the duration of each interval must be equal. For example, if you set Interval Length to 15 seconds, you'll get 15 seconds of "Regular Intensity", then a sound (determined via Interval Sound) , then 15 seconds of "High Intensity".

So it sounds like you want the ability to have a high intensity interval of 20 seconds, and a regular intensity interval of 10 seconds? Or more generally stated, the ability to vary the Regular interval length and High interval length?

Comment

• thebutcher
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      Hi Butch, Glad to hear you like the timer.

There actually *IS* a delay option already, it's called "Delay before Start" and is in the lower right hand corner of the options. How's that for customer service?
      Totally did not see that.. Take note kids, 20 years of being punched in the face has an effect on your peepers. Fantastic customer service

Interesting. Right now the timer can do alternating regular/high intensity intervals, but the duration of each interval must be equal. For example, if you set Interval Length to 15 seconds, you'll get 15 seconds of "Regular Intensity", then a sound (determined via Interval Sound) , then 15 seconds of "High Intensity".

So it sounds like you want the ability to have a high intensity interval of 20 seconds, and a regular intensity interval of 10 seconds? Or more generally stated, the ability to vary the Regular interval length and High interval length?
      That's exactly what I mean. And thank you for the response it is much appreciated.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

That's exactly what I mean. And thank you for the response it is much appreciated.
        Butch, This enhancement would be helpful for a lot of people, so I'm in the process of adding it. It could take a week or more until it's finally available, check back soon.

There is a lot of testing I have to do etc.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Butch,
          Here's a test implementation. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

There are some important new settings, as shown in the attached screenshot. You need to set the "High Intensity Interval" and "Low Intensity Interval".

You can optionally set which interval is used first (high or low) and the transition sound, if any.

Lastly, this is a test version. It will take some time to finish all the testing and what not before I declare it a final version.

Lastly, depending on what web browser you are using, you may encounter cookie problems. Internet Explorer (especially the older versions) have severe limitations on cookies. The final version won't have this problem because it will automatically upgrade your existing cookies, rather than keeping duplicates.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Lastly, depending on what web browser you are using, you may encounter cookie problems. Internet Explorer (especially the older versions) have severe limitations on cookies. The final version won't have this problem because it will automatically upgrade your existing cookies, rather than keeping duplicates.
            The beta version will now upgrade cookies (saved options) from the previous version. It also does so in a minimized space format, so there should be less cookie overload problems with this version of the timer.

Comment

• thebutcher
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2009

Interval Timer

Hi Tim,

Firsty Thanks alot putting in the time to make the modifications to the timer.

Second sorry for the late reply, I have not been training for the last couple of weeks, I was studing for a CISCO certification, the good news is I got it so I am back in the gym at last.

I have tried out the new timer today and it seems to stop counting at the end of the first interval

I am using Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty)x64 bit with Firefox/3.0.11

I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong, but i'll keep playing around and report back

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I have tried out the new timer today and it seems to stop counting at the end of the first interval

I am using Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty)x64 bit with Firefox/3.0.11

I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong, but i'll keep playing around and report back

Is "stop after:" (Lower left hand corner, options) set to anything?

Comment

• thebutcher
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • May 2009

Is "stop after:" (Lower left hand corner, options) set to anything?
                  It was set to Dont Stop
                  I also Tried it on 1 + 2 rounds but that did not work either - same symptoms

something that I did not mention before either

when I press START the countdown does not start. But if I then press Start: (Paused) the countdown begins.

Initial press of Start

Press of START (PAUSED)

Timer stopping after the first interval

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Great screenshots,that should help me repro the error.

Can you also turn on the "Error Console" (it's under "Tools" menu) and see if that lists anything? You should Clear it then try the timer again, then screenshot any errors that show up.

I'm guessing a javascript error is happening at the end of the first interval...

Comment

• thebutcher
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • May 2009

Great screenshots,that should help me repro the error.

Can you also turn on the "Error Console" (it's under "Tools" menu) and see if that lists anything? You should Clear it then try the timer again, then screenshot any errors that show up.

I'm guessing a javascript error is happening at the end of the first interval...
                      Here is the error console

When I clicked the link the error was high lighted right down the end of the script

function PlaySound(soundsrc)
                      {
                      var sound = document.getElementById("Sound");
                      if ( sound )
                      sound.src = soundsrc; // IE
                      else
                      {
                      // Firefox and others..
                      var thissound=document.getElementById(soundsrc);
                      try
                      {
                      thissound.Play();
                      }
                      catch(e)
                      {
                      thissound.DoPlay();
                      }
                      }
                      }

P.S. I tried the timer on a windows XP box with IE7 and the timer worked perfectly.
                      Last edited by thebutcher; 06-27-2009, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Ok, that error means it's unable to play the sounds.

Can you try this:
                        Announcements, Q&amp;A, and technical support for the <a href="http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html">online workout timer</a>, a free timer for martial arts, boxing, speed bag, tabata, crossfit and many other things requiring a timer!

That may resolve the problem.

Comment

• thebutcher
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • May 2009

Ok, that error means it's unable to play the sounds.

Can you try this:
                          Announcements, Q&amp;A, and technical support for the <a href="http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html">online workout timer</a>, a free timer for martial arts, boxing, speed bag, tabata, crossfit and many other things requiring a timer!

That may resolve the problem.
                          Hey Tim,

I tried that and it did not work for me.

Comment

• bstrong
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jul 2009

Creating a MP3 of the timer interval that I set

Tim,

After I've found a work and rest length that I like how do I go about creating a mp3 or mp4 file of it so I can have it on my ipod?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Comment

• thebutcher
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by bstrong View Post
                              Tim,

After I've found a work and rest length that I like how do I go about creating a mp3 or mp4 file of it so I can have it on my ipod?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas
                              What did you have in mind ? I have one that goes for 3mins and is 20sec High and 10sec low with 1 minute rest I can upload

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...