• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Ball Hook Learning Curve

My two Forza's finally arrived so I've installed one of them on my multi platform where a U-hook used to be. I must say that I love the swivel and I knew it was a completely different animal than my U hooks, but wow, this will take some getting used to. I've managed to become a better bagger with the U's than I could have imagined when I started in January but the Forza is a real slice of humble pie (but I'm happy to eat that pie BTW)

I assume this is the normal experience when moving to ball hook swivels from U-hooks? I sure hope it is. Once I get a real hang on "controling" the bag on these swivels I'll be ready to order Alan's book and DVD's.

Any advice or your personal experiences would be appreciated. I'm addicted so I'll rise to this challenge.
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo
  • Bag Man
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
    My two Forza's finally arrived so I've installed one of them on my multi platform where a U-hook used to be. I must say that I love the swivel and I knew it was a completely different animal than my U hooks, but wow, this will take some getting used to. I've managed to become a better bagger with the U's than I could have imagined when I started in January but the Forza is a real slice of humble pie (but I'm happy to eat that pie BTW)

I assume this is the normal experience when moving to ball hook swivels from U-hooks? I sure hope it is. Once I get a real hang on "controling" the bag on these swivels I'll be ready to order Alan's book and DVD's.

Any advice or your personal experiences would be appreciated. I'm addicted so I'll rise to this challenge.
    This was my experience as well. You should be able to pick up the ball hook fairly quickly.

Bag Man
    "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Yes.. it's quite a change! Go slow and the speed comes back. You have to be accurate with your punches now or the bag goes wild. It only takes a short time....you got this!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• JoMan
        • Nov 2016

Yes, the freedom of the bag to move in many directions when using the ball-hook is what makes it so useful for "bible style" bagging...(digressing: we should call it Khan Style!??)...see my reply to the other post: DO NOT use grapeseed oil for the ballhook!

Comment

• BagBoy
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
          DO NOT use grapeseed oil for the ballhook!
          Lol. Too late I've already cleaned it off and might try WD40.. Grapeseed oil works great for steaks though.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• mirokiuru
            • Jun 2015

I used some sort of bicycle chain lubricant and it worked well. After some time the gunk that is in your swivel actually lubricate the swivel itself I took my deville off and had hard time to clean it but its now clean and waiting to be re-installed to my new platform (as soon as i get it done )

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by mirokiuru View Post
              I used some sort of bicycle chain lubricant and it worked well. After some time the gunk that is in your swivel actually lubricate the swivel itself I took my deville off and had hard time to clean it but its now clean and waiting to be re-installed to my new platform (as soon as i get it done )
              With the Deville...use furniture polish as a lubricant, trust me!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• REB
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                With the Deville...use furniture polish as a lubricant, trust me!
                aerosol or liquid?

Comment

• BagBoy
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2018

One thing is for sure. My Cleto mini doesn't work as well with the ball hook. I assume this is a simple cocktail of weight (lack of) - inertia (lack of) etc.

Also, now introducing elbows into combinations I've had to lower the platform about two inches for more precise contact = success. Belly of the bag is now mouth rather than nose level. I guess this may be subject to change with improvement.
                  Last edited by BagBoy; 03-31-2018, 01:21 AM.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• BagBoy
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                    ...I have my setup as low as possible about mouth or lower, works good. I feel if it's to high over time your gonna get to much wear in your shoulders, I don't think it's good to be reaching up when your bagging, I say the lower the board saves your shoulders.
                    I've re-watched a few of your videos and now I see how you have it set.

The three swivel wall mount I built in late January has the platform surface about four inches above my head which was working fine with U-hooks (shoes on) but now that I'm really starting to add elbows I realize that I'm going to have to shorten it down a few inches. At least it will make for a thicker drum surface.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...