• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

New Feature The timer now does intervals

After an intensive late night coding session, I've upgraded the timer to handle intervals.

As an example, let's say we want to have 3 minute rounds. Each 3 minute round is divided into 30 sec intervals, a "regular" intensity interval and then a "high" intensity interval. The interval change is noted by a quick sound, and the text displays "regular" or "high".

Click here to try it (This is a special beta version of the timer page)

Interval Length, Sound, and Text Color (for the "high" intensity) are all set via the option drop downs at the bottom of the page.

As always, feedback and ideas are welcome.

NOTE: The interval high color change doesn't work on Internet Explorer yet... but it does work on FireFox.
    Last edited by Tim; 01-27-2008, 09:16 AM.
  • jim_f
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2008

Hey, I LOVE the timer. I have a request. I would like to use the intervals for my swimmers. Meaning, I could code a set where we worked 1:40? The current version doesn't allow for 5 second intervals over 1:00. I can get the display big enough so that I can just have it at the end of the pool, but, the options are 90 seconds and more...just wondering how much of a pain in the ass it would be to have 5 second functionality.

I still use it for my own workouts, but, wondered if this was possible.

I'd love to see the day when I can enter it into the computer and have my athletes do a set of 100s on 1:45, 1:40, 1:35, 1:30 and 1:25 2 or 3x through...could be the next step in workout organization for my athletes...right now, I do that, but, when you've got 50 kids at a workout and differing abilities, being able to set it and forget it would allow me to concentrate on the technical side of the sport and leave the interval timing to the computer....

Thanks for reading the long-winded post
    Jim

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jim_f View Post
      Hey, I LOVE the timer. I have a request. I would like to use the intervals for my swimmers. Meaning, I could code a set where we worked 1:40?
      Hi Jim. Glad to hear you find it useful. I've made the increment 5 sec from 0 - 3 mins now, so 1:40 (or 1:45 or 1:50 , etc.) are all possible.

Use this version here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer-beta.html (Be sure to hit the "Refresh" button in your browser window to make sure you have the latest).

I'd love to see the day when I can enter it into the computer and have my athletes do a set of 100s on 1:45, 1:40, 1:35, 1:30 and 1:25 2 or 3x through...could be the next step in workout organization for my athletes.
      Not sure I get this part... so you would want this

1 round x 1:45
      (rest of some length)
      1 round x 1:40
      (rest of some length)
      1 round x 1:35
      etc.... and then REPEAT
      1 round x 1:45
      (rest of some length)
      1 round x 1:40

???

Comment

• jim_f
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2008

Hey,
        Yes, that is exactly right. An example workout would be swim 100m with a goal time of under 1:30 (so, one timer giving 90 seconds-and you work to finish before then), and then :20 rest, and then do it again, with round 2 being 1:25, and :20 rest...the idea is that you have a shorter and shorter time to complete the task, but, the rest is the same (until you get no rest...) Currently, I do these sorts of swims with my athletes quite often, but, I'm peering at a watch instead of helping them figure out how to really nail the workout. It is fine, but, just not ideal.

Another workout is as you described, where we'd do something like 300m on 5:00 (which averages to 1:40/100m), then 200m on 3:00 (1:30 average) and then a 100m on 1:20, then repeat that 300/200/100 cycle 2 or 3 times.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back on the board, I thought I had set it up to email me with updates, and figured you were busy. Sorry that I didn't get back here sooner. Your work is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, the new update is sweet!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I actually have plans to make an "advanced" version of the timer that will allow this... the user interface is very complex though and not ready for the light of day yet.

I might need to find a simpler way to make it happen sooner. Check back in a bit....

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jim_f View Post
            Hey,
            Thanks again, the new update is sweet!
            A question for you - do you use the internet connected version (http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html) or have you downloaded the stand alone, no internet required version (http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.zip ) ?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...