X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

I like 10 to 12 oz gloves for hitting the bag. I use 10 oz Reyes or 12 oz tuf wear gloves, I haven't tried any of the Muay Thai gloves yet

Comment

• Jumpy
      • Feb 2008

Not to thread jack, but I was out looking for heavy bag gloves, when I relized that I should come check the board out first before buying.

I talked to a guy at a sports shop and he suggested the standard thin leather speedbag gloves for a heavy bag. I told him that I needed more padding, and something more like a 12-16oz glove. Never the less, he said that I didn't know what I was talking about, and he said that I shouldn't use boxing gloves on a heavy bag, claiming that I could/would break my wrist. I didn't want to call BS on him with out knowing more.

By the looks of this thread, it looks the guy at the shop was wrong.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jumpy View Post
        Ignore that piece of advice... you want "bag gloves". I use 10 oz or 16 oz. I've never even come close to hurting my wrist ( I have hyper extended the elbow once or twice)

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jumpy View Post
          Not to thread jack, but I was out looking for heavy bag gloves, when I relized that I should come check the board out first before buying.

I talked to a guy at a sports shop and he suggested the standard thin leather speedbag gloves for a heavy bag. I told him that I needed more padding, and something more like a 12-16oz glove. Never the less, he said that I didn't know what I was talking about, and he said that I shouldn't use boxing gloves on a heavy bag, claiming that I could/would break my wrist. I didn't want to call BS on him with out knowing more.

??? really?? YOU don't know what you're talking about?

Ask him how many hours he has seriously trained for combat sports, and how many rounds he has actually put in on "the heavybag" and in the ring. Then ask him how many of the real boxers in the real boxing gym were all doing serious bag training with those thin, mitten style bag gloves (ps. they suck for speed bag use also..). I suspect his real knowledge about this topic comes from standing in a sports store trying to sell the product he has on hand.

Serious competitive boxers usually don't use their sparring gloves for bag training. Bags tend to tear the leather of the gloves over time, and you don't want shredded leather hitting your face or your sparring partners. Perhaps that is what he meant about using "boxing gloves" on the heavy bag. Don't fall for the rest of his pitch. He is trying to sell product.

Get a quality pair of padded training gloves of 10-16 oz for serious heavybag work. There are lots of choices. You are more prone to injure a wrist from poor punching technique than because of the gloves you wear. If he really thinks that broken wrists are the results of the glove, he doesn't know what he is talking about.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jumpy
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            ??? really?? YOU don't know what you're talking about?

Ask him how many hours he has seriously trained for combat sports, and how many rounds he has actually put in on "the heavybag" and in the ring. Then ask him how many of the real boxers in the real boxing gym were all doing serious bag training with those thin, mitten style bag gloves (ps. they suck for speed bag use also..). I suspect his real knowledge about this topic comes from standing in a sports store trying to sell the product he has on hand.

Serious competitive boxers usually don't use their sparring gloves for bag training. Bags tend to tear the leather of the gloves over time, and you don't want shredded leather hitting your face or your sparring partners. Perhaps that is what he meant about using "boxing gloves" on the heavy bag. Don't fall for the rest of his pitch. He is trying to sell product.

Get a quality pair of padded training gloves of 10-16 oz for serious heavybag work. There are lots of choices. You are more prone to injure a wrist from poor punching technique than because of the gloves you wear. If he really thinks that broken wrists are the results of the glove, he doesn't know what he is talking about.
            Yeah, I tend to be a quite the laid back and non confrontational person, but the moment I asked for something more like that 10-16oz type of glove, he got agitated. I know that I don't know much about the sport, but I know when I'm being fed garbage, like this guy tried.

Those gloves look great. I'll probably give them a shot. Thanks.

On the topic of the speed bag gloves, while I can well understand wrapping the fist, those speed bag gloves are just silly. When I make a fist, they roll up at the bottom of the hand making a leather pointy cone. Thus every time I hit the speed bag with the bottom of my hand I feel like I'm going to puncture it. Now I go bare handed or use wraps only.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...