Best way to mount platform on cement wall??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pegasos
    • Feb 2007

Best way to mount platform on cement wall??

I am about to mount my new platform on a concrete cement wall.

Should i go with the plastic plugins or should i buy the metal ones?

Should i use the slice of wood between the wall and the platform or should i not?

Anyone has experience with mounting on such a wall, please share it...
  • clark-kentski
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2008

Its kinda hard to advise you not know what system your using or where in the world are you.Plastic anchors are no good,i recommend Tapcons,or Wedge bolts both are available at Lowes.

Comment

• Pegasos
      • Feb 2007

Hi Clark, well actually i m somewhere in the Balcans.... southeast Europe

I am the member presenting the most loser-like homemade "platform" in the sticky thread!

It was my first attempt, i used aluminum brackets, that are made for creating shelves and some random pieces of wood i gathered from the garbage!

Unfortunately, i used some plastic plugins on a brick and plaster wall in my more than 50 year old appartment...

The result was of course, no actual training being possible since the vibration was extreme, some of the plugins became loose, a failure, i have removed the whole thing and am left with a very ugly wall in deed.

Now, i bought this platform:

seems pretty tough, and weights about 5 kilos.

I am leaving any day now for my family house in the mountains, and i am going to mount it in the basement of a four floor house, right on the horizontal beam above the basement door. It is concrete, and has many pieces of steel inside it, but not very close to the surface. I wanna make sure i have a strong unit this time..

This is my story in detail. So the package i received, has some plastic plugins like these ones

but big sized, like half an inch thick.

I ve checked out these tapcons and wedge bolts you mentioned, they seem to be innovative solutions indeed, however they re far for "available" in my parts... and i see they do not use a plug-in. I can still order some though, if it is indeed appropriate.

The thing is, here in Greece, there are usually two kind of walls. Side walls are made of brick (stronger or lighter quality) and a 2-5 cm layer of plaster, about an inch or two lets say. And, ceilings/floors, are made of concrete/cement, usually with tough rods of iron/steel going inside through and through, plus a 1-3 cm layer of plaster on the outside.

So, to sum it up, i am drilling in a horizontal beam, which is about 30 cm wide (15 inches) which is made up of heavy concrete with a thin layer of plaster, about half an inch at the surface. My choices are two, i actually just took a picture to make things extra clear:

At the left is the screw with the plastic plugin provided in the package by the seller. On the right is a metallic anchor plug. Now, i have already used this plug to hang a 30 kilo heavy bug from the ceiling and it never had any problem despite the tough use. BUT, in the speedbag platform, point-blanc vibration is quite an issue, and since i have already fcuked up one wall for good, i have a phobia now, of the screws loosening eventually and ruining my fun.... and the wall

..and that is why i request your (or anyone else's) opinion on the placing of the slice of wood between the wall and the brackets as well. Does it really help? Will it save me the vibration? The possible loosening of the plugins?

Hope i havent been tiring, i just want perfection! (a functioning platform..)

ps: And for a little fun, here is what is left of my terrible first attempt of creating/using a homemade platform

well, you got to learn from your mistakes is what they say!

Comment

• clark-kentski
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2008

Of what youve shown,i like the all metal the best because you can put a wrench on it once in awhile to check for tightness,just make just you buy them long enough to get past the stucco,plaster into the concrete 1.5 inch or better.Having a backer board would do nothing to improve the mounting of your platform.I will post pics of my setup soon,its 4 wedge bolts 3inches by3/8 long into concrete block and stuccoed wall holding a heavy platform i made.

Comment

• Pegasos
          • Feb 2007

Yes these metal ones have even one more benefit, you drill a hole in the concrete, just the right size, not too big. Then, you slowly hit them inside the hole with a hammer, not with very strong hits or their 'head' may be destroyed. You do that without the screw. Then you slowly drive the screw inside them and it spreads even more. So, when its actually in, you can drive the screw out, if for some reason you want to! The key is to place them good.. not too large a hole. I ve seen a 110 kilo guy hang from one of these that he had just placed on a concrete ceiling, to prove to me how strong they are!

So what good exactly do these pieces of wood that are shown in the first picture here do? --->

For cement it recomends horizontal placing. Should i do it? What is the benefit?

ps I m waiting to check out your platform..

Comment

• Pegasos
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
            I ve seen a 110 kilo guy hang from one of these

I dont mean that he was hanged from it or something, in case there is a misunderstanding.

Comment

• clark-kentski
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Mar 2008

4 ft wood strips on a frame wall will allow you to fasten to 3 studs,generally 16inches on center.Then you can mount your platform to the strips. That will distribute the load better.Keep in mind some of the fellas place sand bags and such on top As for the wood shown on the platform mounted to a masonry wall i dont have a clue why they did that.

Comment

• clark-kentski
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Mar 2008

Heres mine, i made it out of some 1.25 sq tubeing i had left over from a project. 4 pcs of angle iron 2 or3 inches long and 2 pcs of plate approx 3 by7in and 3/8in thick. I tig welded all that to make the platform bracket.The platform is 1 and 3/4 sq maple pcs that was a trim inside of a building being remodeled.I laminated them together with glue and screws to make sort of what looked like a large cutting board .Then i used a router and cut it into a 26in circle. I also cut another 26in circle from a scrap pcs of 3/8 plywood and glued and screwed that on top to kinda reinforce from a different direction. Its all bolted to a concrete and stucco wall with 3 by 3/8 Wedge bolts and is going nowhere
                Attached Files

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by clark-kentski View Post
                  Heres mine, i made it out of some 1.25 sq tubeing i had left over from a project. 4 pcs of angle iron 2 or3 inches long and 2 pcs of plate approx 3 by7in and 3/8in thick. I tig welded all that to make the platform bracket.The platform is 1 and 3/4 sq maple pcs that was a trim inside of a building being remodeled.I laminated them together with glue and screws to make sort of what looked like a large cutting board .Then i used a router and cut it into a 26in circle. I also cut another 26in circle from a scrap pcs of 3/8 plywood and glued and screwed that on top to kinda reinforce from a different direction. Its all bolted to a concrete and stucco wall with 3 by 3/8 Wedge bolts and is going nowhere
                  Looks good, great job. I'm getting the materials together to make an adjustable platform like the one speedbag uses with a counterweight

Comment

• Pegasos
                    • Feb 2007

This platform looks pretty tough, congratulations.

Let me ask you something Clark, as i said in my country there are some kinds of metal anchors i can use for concrete. The ones i m thinking of using are those 'heavy duty' ones, with the little cone at the end, and when you tighten the screw the cone comes and wedges with the base of the anchor, providing the fit.

But i m also thinking of using wedge bolts, particularly since i saw some online that claim are resistant to vibration...

Since you are using these, would you say it is worth it, to order some online and use them instead of the heavy duty anchors? Are you yourself happy with the results? Cause when i asked the guy at the hardware store, he said that these concrete bolts are only good for shelves.

What do you suggest?

Comment

• Roscoe
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
                      I dont mean that he was hanged from it or something, in case there is a misunderstanding.
                      Thank you for clearing that up.

Comment

• Pegasos
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                        Thank you for clearing that up.

LOL, yeah man, i thought i should make it clear, because it sounded a bit odd to me after i posted, since i have heard expressions in english like "you re gona hang for this" etc!

I obviously mean the guy after installing the anchor, and the heavy bag from it, then grabbed the chain and lifted himself up, hanging his weight from it (to show me how strong the fit is)!

Comment

• clark-kentski
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Mar 2008

I really like the Wedge-bolts,but youll probably be fine with the anchors you posted

Comment

• Pegasos
                            • Feb 2007

Actually Clark, i kinda fucked up my plans before i even started!

Only now did i check the length of these heavy duty anchors i posted, in combination with the actual length i will need.

They are 6.5 cm (2.55'') long, but the brackets are 2 cm thick (0.78''). And we add to that another 1-2 cm of plaster at the outer part of the concrete wall i am drilling, that leaves a possible 2.5-3 cm (1-1.2'') length of the anchor being actually in the concrete... which is obviously not good enough.

The next thing i can do is use the thicker, longer similar metal anchors that have an 8.5 cm long screw(3.34''), with a 16 mm anchor diameter (0.62'') and 6 cm (2.36'') anchor length, which means that at least 4 cm (1.57'') of the anchor will be inside the concrete and the long screw covers me for the 2 cm of the bracket thickness. The only thing is i will have to make the bracket holes a little larger, since the screw diameter of this larger anchor is 10 mm and the bracket holes are only 8 mm.

So instead of doing the above, i m thinking of ordering and trying out these lone concrete screws, 'tapcons' and 'wedge bolts', you said you used. I will have to find them and it will take some time to arrive, but possibly it will be a good choice for a concrete of a house not more than a decade old. I will have to research it though a bit.

I m being very cautious this time, because i want to achieve gym accuracy/quality in my platform. And i want to impress family members that may see the platform, with a good setup, without any unecessary holes around it...

And when all is succesfull, then i ll mount the second platform i have ready with a special piece of wood, for my small speedbag, right beside this one..

Comment

• Pegasos
                              • Feb 2007

And if i have to use the larger anchors (which is the only choice i have, if i want to use heavy duty bolt anchors) it means i will be drilling two 1.6 cm holes (0.62'') that will be about 20 cm apart (7.8''), on a 30 cm (11.8'') wide concrete horizontal beam... which would mean that each anchor would be a little less than 5cm/2'' from the upper and down edge of the beam, which is not a very reassuring thought.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...