• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • forthaney
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2007

finally got my platform up

Its up

I used wood from a skid for the wall cross members. This is my basement and the stone foundation is granite. I used Red Heads to attach the cross members to the wall. I also attached the upper cross member to my ceiling joist.

I still have to come up with a method to secure the middle of the drum frame to the ceiling joist. I have several oak boards there now. This really reduces vibration. I want something more permanent but adjustable. I also need some sand bags. I have a 25 lb bag of #8 lead shot (trap shooting) on top now.

The drum is 28 inch diameter by 2 inch thick maple. Finished with linseed oil and a coat of wax. Thanks ChrisM that produced a nice finish. I really like it.

Oh yeah this project created another project. There was a hot water copper pipe near the upper cross member. After I installed the upper cross member the pipe was toughing it. So, I pulled the ultimate plumbing no no. I tried to flex the pipe ever so slightly to creat a little room between the pipe and cross member because I didn't want any vibration to create a leak. Well I created a leak at a nearby joint. So I had to remove some pipe and solder in a new section. But it worked out because I now have two new isolation valves

I also have a low overhead clearence issue. The drum height is set up just right now with the rival 9x6 bag on it. I have about 2 inches to go up if I need to. Just above the drum are my hot water heating pipes that I didn't try to flex (ha ha) I intend on putting something to insuate the drum from the heat in the winter time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by forthaney; 05-07-2007, 07:52 PM.
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

lovely

mmmmm, nice job, man

if and when you post a video be sure to rap on that gong a couple times...

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

That drum is absolutely stunning... you made it?

Nice work. Looks like a really solid setup.

Comment

• forthaney
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        That drum is absolutely stunning... you made it?

Nice work. Looks like a really solid setup.
        oh yeah No I did not make the drum I ordered it from Baird brothers

They sell odd pieces on ebay usually square shapes 1.75 inches thick. So I contacted Doug Burdett and asked if he could make me a round piece.

He said he could do anything I want. I originally wanted it to be 30" diameter but then decided to get the i-box. so I called him to change the size. He told me that they are often setup to cut diameters of about 28" because they make table tops for a client at that size. So if I went with that size I could have it faster.

It cost me $130 plus shipping. it was unfinished but fine sanded with the edges rounded with a 1/8" radius so the edges wont chip and split.

ChrisM suggested the linseed oil and wax which is what I did. I also had to drill and mount it. I used 1/2" by 3" flat cap screws to mount the drum to the frame. I also used 1/4" flat head bolts to mount the swivel thru the drum and into the steel frame, which I discovered to be the best method from this forum.

I purchased the i-box frame only and picked it up to save shipping ( I live nearby) for $144

So Im at about $300 for an adjustable plarform with a 28" maple drum.

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Man, that's a sweeet set up. The drum really came out nice. Make sure and post video.

Are those hot pipes for your boiler above the drum? The pipe looks to be about 2" in diameter? You didn't flex those, did you??? Ha ha! I had boiler heat with those friggin' things running all over my basement in my last house. They made it difficult to mount just about anything from the ceiling.
          Last edited by Chris M; 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• SupergeZ
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2007

that gong is a beast! nice setup, LOVE the drum!

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Great set up for a tight location. Bet it's a dream to hit.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roscoe
                • May 2006

Serious Lumber

Nice job and money well spent.

Roscoe

Comment

• ninja420
                  • Jan 2007

Dido!

Comment

• forthaney
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Apr 2007

its been a while but im back on the site

just wanted to say Hi

Im in the market for a heavy bag so I cam to this forum again.

Comment

• Brad
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Apr 2008

How's the drum holding up?

Comment

• Roscoe
                        • May 2006

Hey Forthaney

Originally posted by forthaney View Post
                        just wanted to say Hi

Im in the market for a heavy bag so I cam to this forum again.

I love my water bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...