• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Hey everyone!

Since I was dropped a PM by our Highly Exhausted Ruler and Moderator Tim wanting to know if I was still around, I thought I'd give an update.

I developed a pretty bad case of tennis elbow last fall and it really limited the use of my left arm. I think I got it from hitting the heavy bag, but I can't say for sure.

I finally went to see the doctor about two months ago about it and have been seeing a Physical Therapist for some relief and it has helped tremendously, at least the pain is not there constantly any more. I hope to be back at the bag in a few weeks maybe. Luckily it hasn't interfered much with playing the guitar, and I have been staying somewhat in shape by running more. I'm up to about 20 miles a week now and it feels great. Unfortunately, my upper body hasn't gotten much if any workout for roughly six months and I hate it but there's nothing I can do about it.

Just this past weekend I think I may have turned on a neighbor to the speedbag and will highly recommend the site to him if he really gets into it.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Chris
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

god to hear from you and good luck with your recovery.
    ________
    AdorableTeen live
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
      I developed a pretty bad case of tennis elbow last fall and it really limited the use of my left arm. I think I got it from hitting the heavy bag, but I can't say for sure.
      Me too ... I overdid it on the pullups (CrossFit is VERY pullup intensive). I think mine's not too bad, doesn't bother me unless I aggravate it.

I hope to be back at the bag in a few weeks maybe. Luckily it hasn't interfered much with playing the guitar, and I have been staying somewhat in shape by running more. I'm up to about 20 miles a week now and it feels great.
      Awesome, I love to run, haven't done it much in years though My knees have seen better days.

Unfortunately, my upper body hasn't gotten much if any workout for roughly six months and I hate it but there's nothing I can do about it.
      One of the great things about speed bag is it's like learning to ride a bike, you may get a bit rusty with a layoff, but I've found I can be back to full speed within a week or so.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Since I was dropped a PM by our Highly Exhausted Ruler and Moderator Tim wanting to know if I was still around, I thought I'd give an update.

I finally went to see the doctor about two months ago about it and have been seeing a Physical Therapist for some relief and it has helped tremendously, at least the pain is not there constantly any more. I hope to be back at the bag in a few weeks maybe. Luckily it hasn't interfered much with playing the guitar, and I have been staying somewhat in shape by running more. I'm up to about 20 miles a week now and it feels great. Unfortunately, my upper body hasn't gotten much if any workout for roughly six months and I hate it but there's nothing I can do about it.

Just this past weekend I think I may have turned on a neighbor to the speedbag and will highly recommend the site to him if he really gets into it.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Chris

Great to see and you back in, my friend. WE miss your insight and expertise. Glad to know what happened and your getting well.

I haven't hit much myself in a while. My day job is taking up my nights and will until early march. I'm pretty sure I won't forget how to hit, but you do lose the stamina in the upper body. I feel for ya missing months of workouts. I've been through that many times. I think my body did better coming back from layoff's when I was a younger, say in my 40's. Those elbows can be a naggin problem so take it easy. You'll still need it when your 60.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Thanks Alan. I finally relented and got that cortisteriod shot yesterday. A lot of people in my family are in the medical field and advised against it unless I just couldn't take it any more. They said to expect fast relief, but the problems start when you have to continually go back for more shots.

The Orthopedist I saw told me the shot can last from several weeks to several months but if it persists, surgery may be an option. I'm really hoping that's not what will end up happening, but if that's what it takes, that's what I'll do.

I'm starting to see what the older folks have been telling me about your body when you age. It really does suck. I have the determination, desire, and will to workout, but my body is limiting me right now. It brings me back to my Army days when I used to make fun of the "over 40" guys for not being able to keep up with us 20 and 30 somethings. They just laughed back at me and told me to wait until I was their age. Of course I thought it was in their mind and they were being lazy. Now age is starting to bite me! Oh, the irony!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks Alan. I finally relented and got that cortisteriod shot yesterday. A lot of people in my family are in the medical field and advised against it unless I just couldn't take it any more. They said to expect fast relief, but the problems start when you have to continually go back for more shots.

The Orthopedist I saw told me the shot can last from several weeks to several months but if it persists, surgery may be an option I'm really hoping that's not what will end up happening, but if that's what it takes, that's what I'll do..

I'm starting to see what the older folks have been telling me about your body when you age. It really does suck. I have the determination, desire, and will to workout, but my body is limiting me right now. It brings me back to my Army days when I used to make fun of the "over 40" guys for not being able to keep up with us 20 and 30 somethings. They just laughed back at me and told me to wait until I was their age. Of course I thought it was in their mind and they were being lazy. Now age is starting to bite me! Oh, the irony!
            Years ago Circle Punching, single arm linking and curls of any kind would just kill my left elbow and make it swell for days. The pain would be like clipping the old funny bone in the middle elbow, but much stronger. I did the therapy and conservative route, and then I had an "Ulnar Nerve Transposition" to move the ulnar nerve from entrapment in my elbow joint. It was probably the best thing I did for it, because the nerve had been frayed to the point of almost snapping, which means your little finger area of your hand no longer works. Four months after it was moved I was back at it, better than ever. I was 42 at the time, not quite a spring chicken.

Not all surgery is a bad thing. Sure, nobody wants it, but If conservative treatment fails, then consider that option.

By the way, I've had tons of Steroid injections into joints, mostly shoulders. IMO, They always make a bigger deal out of it than it really it is.

Good luck.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roscoe
              • May 2006

"I See Red"

Now age is starting to bite me! Oh, the irony!

How's your hearing holding up you old Red Leg?

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

LOL, it's not doing too bad Roscoe! Hooah!

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Glad to see you're back and doing well Chris!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Thanks MetalDad. I was up in your neck of the woods this morning. I took my son up to Tinley Park so he could go to the indoor skateboard park they have there.

How about this warm spell we're having? It was 65 and sunny yesterday down in Bloomington, I thought it was springtime, but it was really welcome after living in single digits for the last 6 weeks or so. It's nice to see the ground again. Maybe it's a sign that we'll get a really early spring!

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Thanks MetalDad. I was up in your neck of the woods this morning. I took my son up to Tinley Park so he could go to the indoor skateboard park they have there.

How about this warm spell we're having? It was 65 and sunny yesterday down in Bloomington, I thought it was springtime, but it was really welcome after living in single digits for the last 6 weeks or so. It's nice to see the ground again. Maybe it's a sign that we'll get a really early spring!
                      i broke out the bbq!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...