Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	87082Here's another picture that is probably a little clearer.

Since I've reused this piece of tape several times, it's come a little unstuck on the end, but it still works just fine.

It's just plain old electrical tape that I bought from the bargain bin at the hardware store. I guess people don't like buying white electrical tape because they had a bunch of them in the bin really cheap.

Comment

• Chris
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2007

swivel #3

Is there any difference from swivel 3 and the everlast swivel that looks very similar?

Comment

• Kyle
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2006

which everlast swivel put a link on there for us?
        ________
        Vaporizer
        Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
          • Oct 2006

if its the swivel i think your talking about then yes and no. the everlast hook is a little longer and the whole swivel is chromed. the ringside is stainless with a shorter hook and much beefier looking as well. they are both the same principle but the ringside is a better quality. if it was me, i would save the extra 5 dollars and get the ringside over the everlast. i think you would be much happier.

Comment

• Chris
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2007

unable to upload pic.

Sorry, I am still a beginner when it comes to uploading pics from web-sites. The swivel Kev described is the one I have. It cost $30 on the everlast site not the $50 swivel they have. I will also upload a pic of my set up tomorrow, because I was gone from dawn to dusk today....How do I take a pic from a web-site and post it. I tried clicking on properties and pasting it on the upload site but it says invalid....Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Chris
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2007

Here it is...http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...ro-swivel.html

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Today I changed out my trusty metal ballhook swivel and put on the plastic ballhook model (#5 in Survey).

I gotta say the action was great and it was very quiet. Amazingly quiet, actually. No metallic "clang" which was becoming annoying to listen to. I used to like the louder sound, but the metal ballhooks over the last few years seemed to change metal to lighter, probably cheaper grades of metal, and the sound changed also, to a higher, more noticeable "chanck" sound. It was getting on my nerves.

I still have a couple of most faithful and seasoned ballhooks from back in the late 1970's, early 1980's - and the parts are definitely a different metallic look and feel. They have different shapes also. The rod and eyehook (the part that goes up into the ball) is noticeably changed, with a slightly smaller eyehook. (this is the piece the actual "S" hook goes into). This smaller eyehook allows the bar to sink deeper into the ball. In fact, the eyehook itself ( instead of the metal bar) connects to the metal housing around the edge. This makes the whole thing slightly shorter, and reduces the length of the rebound arc - adding a pinch of speed. It also has a noticeable different tone to the metal parts hitting.

But I retired those swivels to my own hall of fame for the housings are bashed almost flat.

I'm going to leave this plastic one up for a while and see how it holds up.

Since I'm only hitting about half speed for short periods of time, I think it should hold up. Haven't glued the bar in yet, but I've got about 10 of these plastic ones, so I can do that if I have to.

I may post a video using it, just for kicks.
                Last edited by Speedbag; 01-20-2007, 09:57 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2007

Speedbag...How do compare swivel #3 and #5 as far as noise and speed? Also what brand bag do you prefer for speed and overall performance? Thanks...Chris.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Speedbag...How do compare swivel #3 and #5 as far as noise and speed? Also what brand bag do you prefer for speed and overall performance? Thanks...Chris.
                    As far as noise I would say they are equal. As far as speed, I'm not really sure yet, for I'm NOT hitting all out. I can't put that much force on my left shoulder yet, so I'm only going a little more than half speed on a mid size 9x6 bag. I can tell you there will be a difference in control. I am really biased to a ballhook action over that of the super swivel #3. I guess it is what you learn on (actually, I learned on a chainlink style..) but I never have to worry about the bag rebound with a ballhook. I just don't have that much confidence in any other swivel style. They mess with the rebound.

Bags I'm not so picky about. I can tell you, Ringside, Title and Everlast have some great bags. I hit Tufwear and Everlast for my first 15 years. Never knew there was anything else. I've still got a few of my vintage Everlast 4200's. Then I got into Ringside bags, and really like them. when they changed to the narrow, longer style - I started using Title bags, and really like them also. Right now I'm hitting the Title Red 9x6. I also like the top contender bags.

Basically, if it is a uniform teardrop leather bag, I can go with it.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jan 2007

Being a beginner I know I would not be improving as fast as I am without first the speed bag central site and second this web-site. Thanks for being so informative and not making the newbies feel worried about asking a stupid question and being ridiculed. I look forward to reading the speed bag bible. Keep up the good work....Thanks again...Chris.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        Being a beginner I know I would not be improving as fast as I am without first the speed bag central site and second this web-site. Thanks for being so informative and not making the newbies feel worried about asking a stupid question and being ridiculed. I look forward to reading the speed bag bible. Keep up the good work....Thanks again...Chris.
                        We were all beginners once. NO Question is stupid if you don't know the answer. Ridicule is a poor teaching stye that never worked with me, so I doubt it works for anyone else. Our abilities on the speed bag are secondary to our respect and concern for each other as people. Here we should suspend our Ego's and help each other. I really want YOU, and everyone else, to learn how to do this. This is a great forum and allows those from all levels of life and speed bag knowledge to share. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question. If I don't know the answer, or if I can't run up to my bag and try to figure it out, then I'll find someone who can.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                          • Oct 2006

well said "speedbag". i look forward to your video with the plastic swivel if you choose to record it. as for you chris, i like to think that the #3 swivel is noticably faster. i feel like there is less effort to hit the bag to get it going at the speed i like. if it wasnt faster, i would have stayed with the plastic ballhook for it is almost as quiet, more forgiving, cheaper and easier to find than #3. #3 has a tendency to only want to accept "square" hits. at the same time, i think #3 made me better, faster. that could just be me though. happy speedbagging

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
                            well said "speedbag". i look forward to your video with the plastic swivel if you choose to record it. as for you chris, i like to think that the #3 swivel is noticably faster. i feel like there is less effort to hit the bag to get it going at the speed i like. if it wasnt faster, i would have stayed with the plastic ballhook for it is almost as quiet, more forgiving, cheaper and easier to find than #3. #3 has a tendency to only want to accept "square" hits. at the same time, i think #3 made me better, faster. that could just be me though. happy speedbagging
                            You're right, Kev. The #3 is harder to maintain control. It is NOT a very forgiving swivel and slight mis-hits (we all do them) will cause more problems than other swivels. Although it is fast and quiet, It only accepts direction change with a square hit. AND it doesn't do well with slow punching. At least not for me. I mentioned I put up a plastic ballhook. that was not my first choice. I have several models of the "speed swivel" #3. I original changed my metal ballhook to these models (for the quietness). I taped the bags to the bar to maintain center position and tried to hit at slow speeds, which is all I can do at the moment. It was very frustrating to say the least. I have hit these swivels in the past, and my "normal" hitting speed was much harder and faster than I'm using now. Attempting to purposely hit slower right now was very difficult on these swivels and frankly made my shoulder hurt more. I change to the plastic ballhook, which may actually be a slower swivel, and it is working out for me much better.

Swivel choice, like bag choice, is personal. I don't think any one person can say what swivel is "faster" or "better" than any other swivel, for we all punch at different speeds with different styles. It is always relative to the user.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jan 2007

I have my plastic swivel that I got with my Everlast set -

it is good to hear that Speedbag can use this and the positive things about it... I was about to toss it and get a Super one..... I guess I should concerntrate more on my skills and not the swivel type.... seems like all can generate the speed and skill I am looking for ...

I think Billy Mack or Skunk has a video out there with a plastic swivel - looked pretty fast to me....

I lubed mine up and it feels great and quiter as well.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
                                ... I guess I should concerntrate more on my skills and not the swivel type.... seems like all can generate the speed and skill I am looking for ...
                                Absolutely! ALL the swivels are utlimately much fast than we can punch. You can punch it as hard as you want, and a decent martial arts hook kick will make the bag go much faster initially. Of course the friction relationship between the parts can come into play at some point.

To me, the issue always come back to control. I'd rather use a swivel that turns all control over to Me, and not its internal mechanics. For that, (IMO) nothing beats a ballhook.
                                Last edited by Speedbag; 01-22-2007, 08:56 PM.
                                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...