• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

Thoughts on Heart rate research, calories burned, and speedbag

Hi everyone -

I just wanted to let everyone know about some research I have done - (informally)

I am a racquetball player and a runner - I use a heart rate monitor when I run - in order to get the best workout and it helps me control my workout and maintain my weight - (shows calories burned)

I ran a simple 1/2 hour on the treadmill and burned about 400 calories - average heart of about 130

I then went and hit the speedbag - after resting a few minutes -
    I found that my rapid hitting (basic rythym - is all I can do pretty fast) was getting my heart rate to between 120-130 range - this is great - this is a good workout range for me. So I was pretty happy about that. I would hit for about a minute then slow down or stop and then hit again. My heart rate continously stayed int he 120 range. very nice ! slow hitting on the speedbag was about 100-105 heart rate - this is when learning new techinques or slow practice. This is the range I use when I run as well - I follow Maffetone training theory (low heart rate training)

I then went to the double end bag - you can hit it softly for a rest between rounds with the speedbag or heavy bag - or you can practice slipping and get a good workout as well. Heart rate about 130-140 depending on how hard you hit and how much movement you put into the slipping. It can be hit softly as well if you want to use it for your recovery periods.

Heavy bag - as you may have guessed the heavy bag is the best workout - 150 beat per minute average - very nice ! great workout - definately more aerobic.

In 40 minutes I burned about 500 calories - equivelent to running.

My "boxing" workouts will now be 3 minute intervals of the speedbag, heavy bag, and double end bag - although the speedbag takes so much of my time now - as I want to practice getting much better.

FYI - for comparison sake - I run a 5k in about 24-25 minutes - and a normal workout running for me is 5 - 7 miles in an hour or hour and 20 minutes respectively. I am 34 years old.
    Last edited by jaguiler; 02-20-2007, 03:05 PM.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

My "boxing" workouts will now be 3 minute intervals of the speedbag, heavy bag, and double end bag - although the speedbag takes so much of my time now - as I want to practice getting much better.
    I do the same workout myself. I have a timer set to three minute rounds with a one minute rest period. If you really want to bump up your workout, when the bell rings for your one minute rest, do 10 push ups and 10 crunches before you actually rest. It takes about 20 seconds or so and it really gets the old heart rate going. I'll do this for maybe 45 minutes or so and it's a great workout.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag and heart rate

Hey jaguiler

That is great information to have. Wish we could get some further reliable measurements on speed bag training. I have always suspected the forced repetitiousness of punching, along with the variable of speed (punching faster) would make the speed bag a valuable addition to cardiovascular training and increasing aerobic capacity.

Here is a few other related links you may find interesting.

cardiovascular response to punching tempo

The effect of experience and gender on cardiovascular and metabolic responses with dynamic Tae Kwon Do exercise.

The cardiovascular responses of male subjects to kung fu techniques. Expert/novice paradigm.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Body/Mind Fitness - by Tom Seabourne

(* I particularly like this:

...Not all mind/body activities require physical relaxation, although relaxation is a side effect of it. For example, if you practice repetitive punches, or pedal a bike, you will be surprised to find mindfulness. Punching methodically, and pedaling at an easy cadence are naturally relaxing. Think back to peaceful times. What were you doing? Were you mindful? ...)

how many of us really find the act of punching our bag relaxing? ever find yourself lulled into a trance by the beat..? I can say yes to both.
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Personally, I am also very interested in the auditory aspects of the rhythmic "beat" of the bag, and it's effect on human physiology. Who among us isn't as fascinated with the "bag beat" as much as the act of punching?

So are a lot of others, especially in the field of music therapy, and in the field called Psychoacoustics

Basically, our auditory system (ears) allow our brain to "entrain" or - lock into - a rhythm. If that rhythm is repetitive and long enough, our heart and brainwaves will sync to it. The shamans of old did it with a repetitive drum beat to elicit trance. why not the repetitive bag beat?

if that concept interests you, or might have you look at your speed bag workouts in a different way, read several of the links below:

sonic entrainment

Rhythmic entrainment institute

Rhythmic Auditory Stimulation (RAS) (* look through the 17 pages...)

Nueroscience of Rhythm (* note the section on neurologic rehabilitation in this article...)

Repetitive Bilateral Arm Training With Rhythmic Auditory Cueing (RAS)...

Yes, my friends there really IS power in that repetitive bag beat.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and just for fun, try this for the Sports Reading Room..

Great topic. I love to hear about how people modify their workouts to focus on various physiological effects, and I also love to hear about people's "experience of punching" as much as their developing skills.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2007

Alan - you have posted a weaslth of information !! I will review andpost a fwe more tips later - I am a firm believer in low heart rate training - I think the speedbag goes hand in hand with this

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag heart rate.

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
          Alan - you have posted a weaslth of information !! I will review andpost a fwe more tips later - I am a firm believer in low heart rate training - I think the speedbag goes hand in hand with this
          Yes, I think the speed bag keeps the HR at lower rates also, unless really pounding as hard as one can, or wailing on a really large bag. And not many can do that for long.

I would really like to see if the HR and perhaps breathing rate are influenced by, and entrain (sync) to a steady bag beat. Especially the accented fist punch in the basic triplet rhythm. Imagine punching to a metronome, at 120 beats a minute. That's two fist strikes a second, which is pretty slow on a 9x6 bag.

As for rhythmic entrainment, I've been researching the topic for years. There's tons of published research about RAS and use with many types of disabilities, such as stroke, cerebral palsy, parkinsons, etc. I'd love to see the speed bag fully accepted as a legitimate therapuetic movement activity basic on its repetitive movements and auditory cueing. I believe that will only happen when the rehab industry understands the equipment and basic skills needed, and can remove the "boxing" stigma from it.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 02-20-2007, 09:21 PM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jason_m_amy
            • Jan 2007

Which heart rate monitor would you guys recommend? I want one that I could wear while baggin', bike riding, doing treadmill/elliptical, etc... I assume that one on the wrist wouldn't work that well?

Thanks, Jason

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
              • Sep 2006

What kind do you have Jag? I've looked into buy one a few times. I too want one that won't get in the way of and can withstand a heavybag workout.

Comment

• jaguiler
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2007

I use a Polar RS200 - it is a running model that uses a chest strap - the Polar devices are by far the most comfortable - due to a fabric cheststrap. The Polar models will work on almost all the equipment at the gym - you simply need to just take the chest strap with you -the treadmill will pick it up and read from it.

It is designed for running - because it will do lap times and running distance with the footpod attachment - lots of running features.

I also had a Polar F11 as well - it was great ! - less running features more focused on the fitness aspect.

They also have a Polar that is weight lifting oriented. Check out the Polar USA website - http://www.polarusa.com/

There are so many features available - you can get a Polar or a Timex HR monitor with just basic features at around $40.00

Most important features are in order of importance -

1. current heart rate, min and max HR alerts
                2. max heart rate
                3. min heart rate
                4. Avg heart rate
                5. Calories expended

Then with that - there is tons of fitness info ont he web about heart rate training - all depends on the sport you do.

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                  • Sep 2006

Thanks! One of these days I'm going to get me one. I'd love to have one to keep me in my range while I pound on my heavybag.

Comment

• ronaldo
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • May 2007

I have a Polar F6 which focus in general fitness, calories etc... and all I can say is that they are the best. It's really accurate and useful, it even reads your heart rate underwater. Very recommended brand

Comment

• BillyMack
                      • Sep 2006

hmm, I have the Polar F5...

The heart rate is accurate but I'm not sure about the calorie expenditure. When combining free weights with interval training I burn about 850 kcal/hour according to the HRM, does this sound right?

Comment

• ronaldo
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • May 2007

Yeah BillyMack, 850 calories an hour is about right

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

I think it sounds about right too.

My Nike+ Ipod and the treadmill at my gym both say I burn about 500 calories (give or take 50 calories) when I run a 5k in approximately 27 minutes or so. They are both calibrated for my weight and age.

Assuming they're correct, 850 is in the ball park for you.

Comment

• BillyMack
                            • Sep 2006

Kewl, my past few workouts have lasted about 2 hours and I'm getting 1200-1400 calories burned...which is great as long as its true...thanks, guys!

Comment

• jaguiler
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jan 2007

yeah it's pretty true... now try going out for a 1 hour run and see how many you burn.... you can jog slowly, you will burn plenty.... nice fat burning run.... hummmm

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...