• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Title Classic Speed Bag Question

Let me explain my set-up first. I have a basic 24" platform to which I attached a 3/4" piece of plywood. Both are securely fastened to the mounting brackets and the brackets securely fastened to the wall. I also have a 20 lb. sandbag on top of the platform along with a 20 lb weight.

The swivel is a U-bolt (Deluxe Pro) from Everlast. My first bag was an Everlast 10 x 7. I've been at this just over 4 weeks, and after reading some threads on this board decided to try out the Classic bags.

I just received my Title Classic Speed Bags (8 x 5 and 9 x 6). I filled the 9 x 6 and attched to my swivel. I was expecting a faster rebound and quicker action than the original Everlast 10 x 7.

As soon as I hit the bag, I could tell that the rebound was much slower, and even the sound was much different. It was if the bag was left out in the cold.

Is there a "breaking in" period for these bags? I've watched videos of SpeedBag, Skunk, Tim and others, and I was expecting a much different result.

I know I'm a rookie at this game, but this was unexpected. Can anyone help me out?

TIA Biff
    Last edited by Biff; 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
    Let me explain my set-up first. I have a basic 24" platform to which I attached a 3/4" piece of plywood. Both are securely fastened to the mounting brackets and the brackets securely fastened to the wall. I also have a 40 lb. sandbag on top of the platform along with a 20 lb weight.

The swivel is a U-bolt (Deluxe Pro) from Everlast. My first bag was an Everlast 10 x 7. I've been at this just over 4 weeks, and after reading some threads on this board decided to try out the Classic bags.

I just received my Title Classic Speed Bags (8 x 5 and 9 x 6). I filled the 9 x 6 and attched to my swivel. I was expecting a faster rebound and quicker action than the original Everlast 10 x 7.

As soon as I hit the bag, I could tell that the rebound was much slower, and even the sound was much different. It was if the bag was left out in the cold.

Is there a "breaking in" period for these bags? I've watched videos of SpeedBag, Skunk, Tim and others, and I was expecting a much different result.

I know I'm a rookie at this game, but this was unexpected. Can anyone help me out?

TIA Biff
    I can't say for sure without actually hitting that bag, but I will say that these bags "hit" differently. They are lighter than the bag you have, and although they are smaller they take a little different hitting style or won't go faster - or much at all. I can't put my finger (or fist) on it exactly, but these lighter bags don't react well to "hard" punching. I was recently hitting some of my other bags, a pro-mex and ringside, for a few days, and when I changed back to my 8x5 classic it took a few minutes for me to re-tune my swinging to get it back to speed. I don't know if that is YOUR particular issue, but I notice these lighter bags need a punching adjustment, but I can't precisely explain what that means. I just know I do notice a difference when I change bags.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Thanks for the input Speedbag. I have had to adjust to the bag. It's just not as quick as I thought it would be. I don't know whether it's me or the bag. At this stage, I gotta say it's me. It just seems "deader" than I expected.

I'll experiment with hitting style, keep at it, and see what happens. Thanks again.

Comment

• Randy D
        • Feb 2008

I just got my Title Classic 9x6 and Title Turbo 10x7 today. I also have an Everlast 10x7 that came with a beginners set. I've only tried the Title bags for a little while this evening, but I can say for sure that all three of these bags have their own distinct feel to them. I don't know if I have the same Everlast bag as you, but mine seems to rebound about as fast as the Classic 9x6 or maybe slightly faster. I'll have to use it more to really compare. The 10x7 Turbo bag rebounds much slower than the Everlast. Should be good for teaching the kids. My Everlast bag came apart at the seams after 2 weeks. I sewed it up, but it's coming apart again. I must have got a lemon. Oh well, that's why I ordered these other bags.

Randy

Comment

• Jonzel
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2007

Does your 10x7 extend past the edge of the drum upon contact?
          I had a similar problem. I had an everlast 10x7 and a 20 inch square drum.
          I decided to get the title 9x6 (not the title classic) thinking it would be faster and it was slower. After some thinking and experimenting, I came to the conclusion that my 10x7 was faster because the edge of the bag extended about 2 inches past the edge of my drum while bouncing and that the impact of the bag meeting the board comes into contact with a smaller area of the bag (i.e. the same force on a smaller surface area equals more force per square inch) which causes the bag to bounce faster than if it didn't extend over the edge. I was able to confirm this by standing diagonally to my board hitting the 10x7 so that the bag didn't extend over the edge (because its a square drum, not round) and it was much slower. So I traded my 9x6 for an 8x5 yellow, and it was about as fast as my 10x7.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jonzel View Post
            Does your 10x7 extend past the edge of the drum upon contact?I had a similar problem. I had an everlast 10x7 and a 20 inch square drum.
            I decided to get the title 9x6 (not the title classic) thinking it would be faster and it was slower. After some thinking and experimenting, I came to the conclusion that my 10x7 was faster because the edge of the bag extended about 2 inches past the edge of my drum while bouncing and that the impact of the bag meeting the board comes into contact with a smaller area of the bag (i.e. the same force on a smaller surface area equals more force per square inch) which causes the bag to bounce faster than if it didn't extend over the edge. I was able to confirm this by standing diagonally to my board hitting the 10x7 so that the bag didn't extend over the edge (because its a square drum, not round) and it was much slower. So I traded my 9x6 for an 8x5 yellow, and it was about as fast as my 10x7.
            I'm thinking that's going to be pretty close. I've never used a 20inch board that I can remember. You could probably use it, but a 9x6 might fit better.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...