• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2v1977
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2012

Having trouble with the Deville A-51

Hi all

I recieved my Deville A-51 swivel from Dee last Friday, it took only 6 days to arrive here in the UK and I was very excited to use it, Dee was very easy to deal with and the product is great. I have been hitting quite well and now use a 6x4 Rival bag on my U-bolt swivel, I thought I was pretty good at it as I could keep the bag going for a few minutes but only the standard boxing style, I am having trouble getting the timing right while trying other combinations, I have managed to put an elbow strike in but its very slow. I will keep practicing.

I removed the U-bolt swivel and put in the A-51 (it does make a great click-clack noise when hitting) but I can't keep the bag going, it bounces all over the place, I must have picked up some bad habbits while using the U-bolt. I changes to my 10x7 Rival bag but that does the same, it has to be the way I am hitting the bag but I thought I was hitting it right with the other swivel, can a swivel really make that much difference?

What can I do?
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Ralph explains it very well. Yes, ball-hook swivels can definitely be a challenge when starting out. It took me several days to get used to a ball-hook after being spoiled by a U-bolt swivel.

I'm sure you're finding it frustrating, but once you get the hang of it and gain experience, you'll grow to love it. Make sure you're keeping your elbows up (both elbows!) when striking, paying attention to your execution. If you can videotape yourself, you might be able to see what you're doing that is causing the bag to go in a wacky direction

Keep us posted of your progress.
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• sendmorecops
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2012

I moved from an everlast metal ballhook to the deville and it took me a couple sessions to get back to where I was. The deville is a lot smoother and faster and at first I had the same problem with it seeming to go out of control at times. I just worked on timing and accuracy and its not an issue anymore. Cheers, and good luck

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

If you have started out with either the now defunct roller chain swivel or the current "pro" U swivel, a ball hook can destroy your confidence in your ability very quickly. Take a deep breath and say to yourself "this is not a "speed" bag, it's a "control" bag. Start over again with the basic punches and rythms. Do not try to increase your punching speed right away. Low and slow is the way to go. When you have remastered the basics now start trying to hit from the back or the side. Once again don't push it. The speed will come later when you have mastered the control part and things will begin to gel.

Comment

• 2v1977
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jul 2012

Thanks for the advice, I love hitting the bag so there in no way I will be quitting, I will just have to take the time to get used to the swivel.

I am trying to upload a video from my iPad but I don't seem to be able to, hopefully I can get a video up soon.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...