• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mydogsparty
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2018

Speed bag ideas.

Keep in mind that I’ve only been speed bagging since Sept 2018 and I’ve only hit the following 3 bags.

1. Balazs Lazer 6x9
    2. Title Super 8x5 (yellow) with pink bladder
    3. Balazs Lazer 8x5

The first bag I ever used was the Balazs Lazer 6x9. At that point I had no reference if the bag was too big or too small, too heavy or too light, too round or too oblong, too fast or too slow.

Eventually, wanted to try an 8x5 sized bag and got the Title 8x5 (yellow) bag and switched the original bladder out. That really gave me a reference for not only the differences in size but the difference in weight. It also had a slightly different shape.

Turns out that although I really liked the shape and size, I didn’t like hitting the Title bag as much because it seemed way too light.

That eventually led me to the Balazs Lazer 8x5. It feels like a much heavier bag, yet it’s very fast. It really explodes on punch and rebound. Every now and then I’ll go back to the Title Yellow bag to change things up but for the most part, the Balazs Lazer 8x5 is my goto bag.

Based on that info can someone recommend another bag that I might enjoy?

-MDS
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

I like what you're saying about the 5" BaLazer. Don't have one but there may be one under the tree this year

I really like the Title yellow for working in new things (Bible things) because it is so light. But if you think that one is light the platinum atomic I have is almost like an air filled toy. Way too light for me. That could change in the future.. who knows.

Have you considered a Cleto bag? Really, really nice leather and they're very responsive. Consider the 5 or 6. I love those bags. And the Cleto mini (XS) is one of my favorites. For an xs it has some beef to it in that it doesn't feel like you are hitting air. And it's fast and also sounds really good if you can believe that! Only con about Cleto's are that you need to give them a few pumps every two weeks or so but that only takes a few seconds.

Right now my go-2 bags are all three of the Title Ali Authentic bags. Swapped out the larger of the threes bladder with an enkay bladder and it responds like the 6". You can't beat the construction on those bags but you pay for it.

I've been hitting about 7 months longer than you and these are my opinions and recommendations at this time. Please, please try a Cleto!
    Last edited by BagBoy; 12-09-2018, 12:52 AM.
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Cazbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Mydogsparty View Post
      Keep in mind that I’ve only been speed bagging since Sept 2018 and I’ve only hit the following 3 bags.

1. Balazs Lazer 6x9
      2. Title Super 8x5 (yellow) with pink bladder
      3. Balazs Lazer 8x5

Based on that info can someone recommend another bag that I might enjoy?

-MDS
      That's amazing swap the title 8x5 yellow with the black and those are the 3 I started with for like the first year and a half with my start date bible bagging November 2016. So I would have to recommend the Title Black 8x5 with of course the orange bladder swap. The Perilous 8x5 is an awesome bag in my book, it is really fast and is my favorite bag right now. I have barely touched the atomic since I got Perilly. I've been hitting and liking the xsmall Cleto lately. From there I dont really no where to go next either? I've thought about Ringside maybe?

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

Personally, I like the Ringside brand, in general, but I don't like the two Ringside speed bags I own. both are duds. K'mon Ringside, try harder!

MDS, maybe try a lighter 6x9 bag? I mean one lighter than the Balazs.
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Zaz
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2018

Maybe you should try Rival? I was septical about their speed bags because i couldn’t find a lot of review about them. But i got the chance to try it at the boxing gym this summer and i loved it, so i bought one. Very well made, perfectly balanced and they are not expensive.

Comment

• Zaz
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
            Personally, I like the Ringside brand, in general, but I don't like the two Ringside speed bags I own. both are duds. K'mon Ringside, try harder!

MDS, maybe try a lighter 6x9 bag? I mean one lighter than the Balazs.
            Did you tried the Ringside Heritage? I got both sizes and i like them a lot.

Comment

• Mydogsparty
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Oct 2018

How do the bags like the Cleto Reyes 8x5, Title Black 8x5, Title Perilous 8x5, Rival, Ringside Heritage compare “weight wise” to the Balazs Lazer. Anyone know if they’re heavier or lighter than the Balazs Lazer 8x5? Relative to my other bag (Title Yellow), the Balazs Lazer is heavy and very responsive. I like that feeling.

Also, looking at a photo of the Rival bag, does that patch surrounding the valve with the seam on the bottom, cause a problem for your hands? It would seem like you’d been grazing that seam and/or valve stem constantly with your knuckles when you start linking.

Comment

• BagBoy
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2018

How do the bags like the Cleto Reyes 8x5, Title Black 8x5, Title Perilous 8x5, Rival, Ringside Heritage compare “weight wise” to the Balazs Lazer. Anyone know if they’re heavier or lighter than the Balazs Lazer 8x5? Relative to my other bag (Title Yellow), the Balazs Lazer is heavy and very responsive. I like that feeling.

Also, looking at a photo of the Rival bag, does that patch surrounding the valve with the seam on the bottom, cause a problem for your hands? It would seem like you’d been grazing that seam and/or valve stem constantly with your knuckles when you start linking.
                As I said I don't yet have a Balazs but the heritage bags are great, very fast yet meaty. They are at their best when oh so slightly underinflated. Two of us have mentioned the Cleto mini.. and all of the cleto's are weightier than the title yellow 5". Even the xs in my opinion.

Editing to add that the heritage bags have an extremely thick loop. Won't function well in a chain-link and won't even fit in most. If you want I'll post some comparison pictures
                Last edited by BagBoy; 12-09-2018, 10:13 PM.
                Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Zaz
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2018

I never had any problems with the patch surrounding the valve on the Rival. Sorry i can't compare it with the Balazs because i never got the chance to try a Balazs. The Rival is more heavy than both my Ringside Heritage and Cleto Reyes (all 3 are 9x6). Like BagBoy said before, both Heritages are very fast (faster than the Cleto Reyes in my opinion) but they are also very ligth and some members on this forum didn't like it at all. And the 8x5 is really SMALL! (almost half the size of the 9x6). As for Cleto Reyes bags, i love mine and i never saw a bad review about their speed bags. You can't go wrong with them!
                  Last edited by Zaz; 12-09-2018, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• Cazbag
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2018

The Balazs bags are the heaviest bags I have encountered so far but they are fast with that heft. You can get the Title Black 8x5 to move faster than the Balazs 8x5 but you have to try harder to do so as it is a pretty light feeling bag. The Perilous on the other hand is a light bag in weight but it has a heavier presence when hitting than any of the other Titles I have. When I first hit it it reminded of balaz sort of in its response and feel. The Balaz was my long favorite and now the Perlious is. I plan on getting a couple more of the 8x5's just incase they discontinue them for whatever reason. But I would also like to see what other great bags are out there!

Comment

• Mydogsparty
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Cazbag View Post
                      The Balazs bags are the heaviest bags I have encountered so far but they are fast with that heft. You can get the Title Black 8x5 to move faster than the Balazs 8x5 but you have to try harder to do so as it is a pretty light feeling bag. The Perilous on the other hand is a light bag in weight but it has a heavier presence when hitting than any of the other Titles I have. When I first hit it it reminded of balaz sort of in its response and feel. The Balaz was my long favorite and now the Perlious is. I plan on getting a couple more of the 8x5's just incase they discontinue them for whatever reason. But I would also like to see what other great bags are out there!
                      Caz, did you replace the Perilous bladder?

Comment

• Cazbag
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2018

I did but just recently out of curiosity. It seems like it's the same as the orange enkay bladder just black with slightly different shape. Was not the quik tech black bladders found in other title bags.

Comment

• Cazbag
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2018

It was a noticeable improvement when swapped the others, this one stayed pretty much the same... Still blazing!

Comment

• Jim Walker
                            • Dec 2018

I have several different Title bags, which I don't care for,a Fighting Sports 5X8 with improved bladder (tried it, just fair), and just received a Cleto Reyes 6X9, which was better than the Title bags. But, I went back to my old stand by, a Jim Bradley Pro Speedball, which is soooo much better, faster, softer on the hands, and extremely responsive.

Comment

• Mydogsparty
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Oct 2018

Hey Cazbag,

I just wanted to give you a shout-out for recommending the Title Perilous bag. I’ve been hitting it since the first of the year and I really like it.

When I first got it, it was bouncing very erratically. I thought, geez, I really suck at this. Then I started paying closer attention to the bounces and determined that it wasn’t as much my fault as I thought. After doing some more research I found this thread...

...in which Jaja6009 described almost the same phenomenon. I changed the bladder and the problem went away.

I really like hitting this bag. It’s fast but, like your described, it’s heavy like the Balaz Lazer. I actually like it better than the Balaz now because the Lazer now feels like a pillow compared to the Perilous.

Great recommendation. Thanks!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...