Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > General Archives

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Old 01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2296 View Post
Not familiar with the term "speedball" -- is it the same as "speed bag"? I didn't think a generic term like speed bag would have copyright issues so what's with the alternative terminology?
In the UK and Australia it's commonly referred to as a speed ball, but it is indeed the speed bag. No reason in particular, just like they call an elevator a "lift" or a truck a "lorrie".
Old 01-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

dsmith2296 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Bloke!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
In the UK and Australia it's commonly referred to as a speed ball, but it is indeed the speed bag. No reason in particular, just like they call an elevator a "lift" or a truck a "lorrie".
It is also called a "punch ball", "pear ball", or "pear bag" (South Africa).

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

THE 10th Year Reunion!

The Art of the Bag
Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I've got an electronic heart rate monitor that also includes calories burned. I dusted it off and changed the batteries (hasn't been used in years) and get some readings.
here's some data on calories burned while speed bagging.
http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...13&postcount=4

In a nutshell , 20 minutes with a Title 10x7 bag burned 180 calories.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Speed Bag Guru

Roc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond reputeRoc Stone has a reputation beyond repute
'Speed Ball' is Aussie terminology and I think it is also widely referred to in the UK that way as well. I also have a Jim Bradley bag and swivel and I can concur with Paco, together they are a very fast combination. Those swivels deliver so much speed, however I find them quite limited when it comes to (SSP)'s and (SDP)'s; no somplaints about the bag though, it rebounds cleanly in any direction.

I've been lucky enough to acquire one of the last Everlast 2 piece metal ball & hook swivels, it just arrived yesterday. I purchased an Everlast 4214 (7x10) and the swivel came with it, as well as a small booklet called "Health & Training Guide" by Emerson P. Smith. Apparently Coach Smith was/is a leading authority on boxing & fitness and was reponsible for conditioning over 100 000 Midshipmen at the US naval academy The copyright of the booklet dates back to 1994. In fact the bag itself looks to be different from the other model Everlast 4210 (of the same design) that I have. While the materials used on both bags are identical, even down to that yellow tag at the bottom, the 1994 4214 does not appear to look as obese around the lace up area as the 4210. Just checked both bags out again, the 1994 4214 was made in the US, the 4210 was made in China. Ok, there's the reason for the difference, the cost of having the bags manufactured.

Like I said "I'm not complaining", it appears that I've got one of the last brand new metal 2 piece ball hook swivels, which I know (having read previous posts) would mean something to a lot of you. But having said that I must say that I believe this swivel must have been produced around Everlasts time of transition because the flange that screws to the drum is made of hard plastic.

Now I've just done a comparison with the Everlast 2 piece ball hook and the Jim bradley poly swivel. The J/B is approx 10mm shorter than the ball hook. So on that observation, do we need any further information to be able to assess which swivel is gonig to bring the fastest delivery. Or would 'yuz all' rather me perform the #$Ac!d T*sT#@$%...???
Adam

Last edited by Roc Stone; 01-04-2008 at 05:11 AM.