Whats The Fastest & Most Stable Platform On The Market?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fastaslight
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2006

Whats The Fastest & Most Stable Platform On The Market?????

I Have Had The Red Pro Model, It Was Slow And Not Responsive Plus Not Very Stable!!
    Everlast Has A Few With Maple Hardwood I Think 1.5 In. Thick
    & Ringside Has The Ultimate Classic For 599.00, Anyone Have Any Ideas For A Top Quality Platform Thats Very Fast & Stable??
    Thank You For Your Help.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I have the Ringside Ultimate Classic that I picked up used on Ebay for less than $200 before shipping and it's very stable and solid. I did have to add a sandbag to the top to eliminate any vibration whatsoever.

The thing that attracted me the most to it was it's ease in adjustability which was very important to me.

I also have a cheapie $50 Everlast unit that is just as stable after I made a 1.5 inch thick drum and a sand bag on top. The downside to that rig is that it takes a while to properly adjust for different bags.

I know balasz and others make very sturdy looking platform frames but they are not adjustable.

Before I bought my Ringside Ultimate Classic, I was actually going to make something similar using bed rails (the angle irons are made of spring steel) and my MIG welder.... I still may sometime in the future just to have something to do. Bed rails are easy to come by, just go to any bedding store and dive into the dumpster or patrol the neighborhoods on garbage night. But then again, I love to fabricate stuff like this and I have the tools and the workshop to do it. See the thread on homemade equipment on this board.

That being said, I think speed comes from a sturdy platform, a drum that isn't particle board or MDF, a quality swivel and frame and isn't loose anywhere, and most of all, practice.

The sandbag on top of the drum did wonders for both of my platforms!

Last edited by Chris M; 05-01-2006, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• fastaslight
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2006

ANYONE have a Blasazs I-box platform?????????

Yeah I went to the balazs website and they had a model called THE I-BOX platform for 199.00 with a 1 & a quarter thick drum and 12in adjustable frame I guess it smaller steel tubing than the other model but way cheaper than 639.00!

If anyone has one of these let me know how its performs????????

THANX FOR THAT INFO CHRIS

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I can get all the speed I need out of the basic Everlast platform. Alan Kahn (He is "Speedbag" on this forum) suggests in his book The Speedbag Bible and in his two hour speed bag training DVD to put a 3/4" piece of plywood on top of the drum to give it more weight and durability. I really think with that done and with a decent metal ball and hook swivel, properly mounted, you can get all the speed you need.

Check out Alan's website here: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/

There's lots of good information and info. Make sure to check out the videos too!

Chris

Comment

• fastaslight
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2006

Yeah Iam gonna get that balazs I-box tomorrow to hold me off until I find a cheap ultimate classic on ebay like you got, I will let you know how it works out when it arrives late next week!

Thanx for all your help chris it saved me some bucks!!

I'll check out that book and website also

Troy

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag Drum (Board)

I would agree that a thick, heavy wood is best for stability and speed. The heaviness of the wood makes it stable, particularly with smaller bags, and the sturdiness makes it "faster", in that if the board "gives" slightly or moves up when the bag strikes, it can deaden the rebound.

But a board is no magic bullet for "speed". If you repetitively punch poorly, the board won't make any difference.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fastaslight
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2006

What One Tells About Applying The Plywood For Extra Strength & Durabitity The Speedbag Bible Book Or Dvd?????

I Would Just Buy Both But At 30.00 For The Book And 25 For The 2hr
              Dvd I Can Only Afford One.

Thanx

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by fastaslight
                Yeah Iam gonna get that balazs I-box tomorrow to hold me off until I find a cheap ultimate classic on ebay like you got, I will let you know how it works out when it arrives late next week!

Thanx for all your help chris it saved me some bucks!!

I'll check out that book and website also

Troy
                I'm hoping to get an I-box at the end of the month (but probably later this year). Please do keep us updated. I think it's the best platform value out there considering it's got the thick drum, it's adjustable, and its cheap.

Also - last I checked with Balazs, the i-box comes with the plastic everlast swivel. At the time they said they were considering upgrading it to a "better" unit, but I don't know if this has happened.
                Last edited by Tim; 05-02-2006, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

What One Tells About Applying The Plywood For Extra Strength & Durabitity The Speedbag Bible Book Or Dvd?????

Thanx
                  Do you like to read? If you're not a "reader" you might like the DVD better. The book has more information in it compared to the 2hr DVD but you may learn the techniques better from the DVD than reading the text and looking at the pictures.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either - you'll learn a lot either way

The only caveat is that while both cover equipment there isn't a ton of instruction on reinforcing your platform. What you will get is a lot of information on punch/striking technique - which is more important in the long run - in my opinion.

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Thanx
                    Get the DVD!!!! I personally learn better from watching than I do reading.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Book or DVD

I Would Just Buy Both But At 30.00 For The Book And 25 For The 2hr Dvd I Can Only Afford One.

Thanx
                      First, The Book & DVD each spend a little time on the board, but it is a pretty dry subject. They Mention sizes, heavier is better, add wood or other weight over the top of a thin, cheap board, and do it safely. If you add wood on top AND drilled your swivel holes through to use bolts, the extra wood on top will need to be drilled also and longer bolts used on the swivel. Then, adjust the board if possible to get bag at proper height. That's about it.

As for cost of the Book/DVD, I'll bet you can afford both.

Contact me directly. All speedbagforum members will receive a discount and I'll work with you. Normally I have a few slightly damaged books (cover creased etc,) and DVD's with cracked or chipped cases, and can't sell them at full retail. I discount them when the need arises.

A forum member in need of a break is such a need.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ryzies
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • May 2006

alan if you would like to get rid of either, let me know a price and i'll get back to you asap...i def am interested as i've heard so much about it...if it's ok with you that is...

Comment

• ryzies
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • May 2006

also i have another question...my friends dad works for a plastics company and they make balistics stuff and has bullet proof glass etc that we can get for free...how does that sound for making a platform?...i would think it'd be just as good as wood but i'm not sure...also any kind of plexis that would work?...if it will work, we're gonna have a couple of sick looking platforms here in my town..haha...

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag Bible Book & DVD

Originally posted by ryzies
                            alan if you would like to get rid of either, let me know a price and i'll get back to you asap...i def am interested as i've heard so much about it...if it's ok with you that is...
                            I prefer to not post prices on ANY forum. I post in many forums and don't want links created where other "friends" on other forums want the same price, and I don't have that many damaged books & DVD's. I do this on a personal basis for people I think are MORE dedicated to learning the speed bag. My email address is in my profile.

Originally posted by ryzies
                            also i have another question...my friends dad works for a plastics company and they make balistics stuff and has bullet proof glass etc that we can get for free...how does that sound for making a platform?...i would think it'd be just as good as wood but i'm not sure...also any kind of plexis that would work?...if it will work, we're gonna have a couple of sick looking platforms here in my town..haha...
                            Clear Plastic speed bag platforms *I've never hit one, but the man that taught me years ago had built a platform with a clear plastic board and set up a movie camera (days B4 videotape..) to film his punching and use some of the frames as his guide for drawing the speed bag pictures in his book about boxing skills. ( it's out of print now.)

A sample can be seen here, with the boxer on the left in the "Bag Area picture"
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ryzies
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • May 2006

i think i'm gonna go for it and see how it works out...then we'll all know for sure...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...