Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > History

Supporter Links & Advertisements

History Discuss all aspects of bag punching history here.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:01 PM

RockSteadyBoxer is on a distinguished road
Vintage platform on eBay

Just saw this on eBay. Looks like a really cool old platform. I don't know much about these old platforms. Anybody have a feel for if the price is close to reality or how rare / awesome these platforms are?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Punching-Ba...MAAOSwUYpc1zuL
Old 05-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyBoxer View Post
Just saw this on eBay. Looks like a really cool old platform. I don't know much about these old platforms. Anybody have a feel for if the price is close to reality or how rare / awesome these platforms are?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Punching-Ba...MAAOSwUYpc1zuL
That's a lot of money from only 3 pictures of the product. I imagine there are a lot of pieces in this beast and I'd personally want to see more of them. Sure, it's probably a speed bag historical treasure, but really old junk is still junk if it can't be restored.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

THE 10th Year Reunion!

The Art of the Bag
Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 PM

Thanks ... there are a dozen or so pictures, but I have to agree, for that money, I would like more details! I am not seriously interested in spending anything near asking price. If it were closer than 5-6 hour drive, I might consider visiting it in person.

It is only an hour or so from my brother. Maybe it's time for a brother's weekend?
Old 05-23-2019, 11:12 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyBoxer View Post
Thanks ... there are a dozen or so pictures, but I have to agree, for that money, I would like more details! I am not seriously interested in spending anything near asking price. If it were closer than 5-6 hour drive, I might consider visiting it in person.

It is only an hour or so from my brother. Maybe it's time for a brother's weekend?

Ha. I didn't notice the arrow to the right showing all the others... (idiot me.) However, it looks like the board(s) have been modified? I don't ever remember seeing an original unit like this have 3 or 4 stacked boards of various widths. Looks like some of that is "jury rigged" to me. probably for more stability.

Absolutely....

He may be open to negotiate a better "cash in hand" price.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

THE 10th Year Reunion!

The Art of the Bag

Last edited by Speedbag; 05-23-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Speed Bag Historian

Dutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud of
This appears to be a Spalding striking bag ring, it predates the Non Pereil style ones. Someone has added the plywood discs in order to use smaller bags. The Nicols reference concerns the base of the apparently missing swivel and not the platform itself

Last edited by Dutchman; 05-24-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Speed Bag Historian

Dutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud of
Page 62 of the 1917 Spalding catalogue https://archive.org/details/spalding...0agsp/page/n61
Old 05-24-2019, 02:45 PM

Thanks, Dutchman! Looks like you nailed it ... I really appreciate the information.

How rare is something like this?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Speed Bag Guru

rdshackleford is on a distinguished road
I'll bet you a nickle that nobody will buy or make any reasonable offer on that platform. They are asking an extraordinary amount, local pickup only in the middle of Wisconsin. Dream on.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Speed Bag Historian

While not overly rare, we've seen several examples of this style platform surface over the years. In it's original configuration it can only handle large bags, ones that are no longer generally available. The version with the solid drum, like ZaZa's is much more common
Old 05-24-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanks ... I really enjoy learning about the old equipment.