• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Everlast 4444 swivel disassembly

Does anyone know how to disassemble the swivel portion of the Everlast 4444 chain link swivel. I am talking about the side with the u-joint and ball bearings.

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • REB
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
    Does anyone know how to disassemble the swivel portion of the Everlast 4444 chain link swivel. I am talking about the side with the u-joint and ball bearings.

-Rusty
    Is the u-joint locked against the bearing ring with an E clip of some sort? The ball bearing- chainlink swivel I have (not an Everlast, a Ringside I think) has a 3/8 nut that tightens on the ujoint stud against the bearing. I disassembled it by locking the u-joint part in a vise and unscrewed the nut. The u-joint released and the bearing came out using fingers.

If the u-joint piece is locked by an E clip then you will need a flat head screwdriver. You will need to put the edge of the screwdriver against a side ear of the Eclip. Again it would be easier to clamp the U portion down in a vice. Using a steady push of pressure against the clip, it should just slide off the stud of the u joint..... These are the only two chain link ball bearing swivels I have seen and fooled with
    Last edited by REB; 08-30-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

This is the part...

It is not obvious to me how to go about removing the bearing assembly. It appears it is screwed into the post.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• REB
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2017

This is the part...

It is not obvious to me how to go about removing the bearing assembly. It appears it is screwed into the post.
        Take the assembly and hold it in one hand and then with the free hand tap on the threaded stud with a hammer. Or open your vise to free up the u joint and tap on the stud using the vise to hold it, not allowing the vise jaws to touch the Ujoint. The threaded stud will drop on out through the vise jaws when you start tapping on it. Shoot some WD 40 around the shaft and allow the 40 to run down into the bearing wall first. My ujoint swivel is the same as yours. The stud may have melded into the walls of the bearing a little causing it to be frozen

If the bearing is threaded (???), Then flip the unit over in the vise and tighten down the jaws on the knurled section. Then un-screw the u joint from there using a pair of vise grip pliers
        Last edited by REB; 08-31-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

That worked, thank you.

The bearing on this one has 1 1/8" O.D. outer race and 1/2" I.D. inner race, fwiw.
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• REB
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2017

That worked, thank you.

The bearing on this one has 1 1/8" O.D. outer race and 1/2" I.D. inner race, fwiw.
            Good deal... mine was a bit stubborn too

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

At first I made the assumption that it was a pressed in bearing, but after a good deal of hammering, it didn't push out. So, I wondered if the inner race was threaded, in which case any amount of hammering would not release it. Even after the inner stud was removed, the bearing outer race still stuck to the housing. But at that point I knew it was press in, so I just tapped on it until it released.

-Rusty
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...