• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Stans_with_fist View Post
    Hi Speedbag,

I definitely want to do this right by installing a nice solid platform.

One thing I noticed in your pic as well in several others is the height of the bag. In your pic the belly of the bag is at mouth level, while the instructions that came with my Everlast bag say the mounting height should be at eye level. Is the height really dependent on the types punches I plan to throw? So if I want to include elbow strikes then the bag needs to be higher?

Thanks,
    Stan
    I saw the same everlast instruction page, which may be fine for boxers hitting just from the front of the bag with their fists only, but it is a poor position for hitting from all around and using elbows. Having the belly at mouth level is better.

There is a bit of a analysis to this that most people might not think about. When I say "have the belly of the bag at your mouth", that doesn't mean you will actually hit it mouth level. The contact point is actually just a tad higher, because when the bag is moving (not stopped hanging straight...) the belly will actually be a bit higher at the point of contact. We normally hit the bag pretty close to it coming off the board, or at the midpoint of the rebound and that puts the belly a bit higher than the mouth at the contact point. You can really put the belly of the bag at your chin and hit it, which will put the belly at your mouth during the correct point of the rebound.

To answer your last question, the bag does NOT need to be higher to include elbow strikes. In fact, having the bag higher will normally make some elbow strikes harder to do. At least I find that for me.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 04-06-2011, 06:43 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Stans_with_fist
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2011

Hello,

I just wanted to close the loop on this thread by letting everyone know I successfully mounted my platform a few weeks ago. I ended up buying the Everlast adjustable platform for $86 from Sports Authority. Here is a pic of the platform with an Everlast Elite Te:L bag:

The platform is attached to the 2 X 4 with carriage bolts. The 2 x 4 is attached to the cinder block with power fasteners, so its very secure. On top of the platform I have some foam padding with a 25 pound sand bag on top of the padding.

Here is a pic of the view from below:

I have a low cieling, so I had to trim away a portion of the sheetrock to fit the top of the platform.

Right now I am able to do the basics (fist rolls and double strikes) so will not post any videos until I can do more advanced strikes!

I do want to thank all the members here for their suggestions and support.

Best,
      Stan

Comment

• Draudt
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2014

Mounting to the cinder block wall for a total noob

How did you mount this to the cinder block wall? Looks like you used ramset nails to secure the 2x4 and had bolts counter sunk into the back of the 2x4 before you attached it. I am trying to mount a tko speed bag to my cement basement wall. The frame attaches a little differently but the concept is the same. Do you have any specifics on the nail or bolt sizes, pre drill hole size etc... Thanks

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Draudt View Post
          How did you mount this to the cinder block wall? Looks like you used ramset nails to secure the 2x4 and had bolts counter sunk into the back of the 2x4 before you attached it. I am trying to mount a tko speed bag to my cement basement wall. The frame attaches a little differently but the concept is the same. Do you have any specifics on the nail or bolt sizes, pre drill hole size etc... Thanks
          This post was back from 2011... I don't think he's been here in quite awhile.
          I used concrete anchors to mount a platform in my father's basement. Can't remember the brand, just something from Home Depot. It's solid as a rock.
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
            • Apr 2012

yeah, they have many options
            Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• BangEmBeatZ
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2014

Mount platform to basement wall....

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
              This post was back from 2011... I don't think he's been here in quite awhile.
              I used concrete anchors to mount a platform in my father's basement. Can't remember the brand, just something from Home Depot. It's solid as a rock.

Is that all you need to drill platform to basement wall? No need for 2 by 4s correct? im just trying to install this model into the wall....

Buy exercise equipment in Canada. Huge selection of the best gym equipment for sale. Treadmill Factory, your fitness equipment store since 1988. Shop now!

thanks!!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BangEmBeatZ View Post
                Is that all you need to drill platform to basement wall? No need for 2 by 4s correct? im just trying to install this model into the wall....

Buy exercise equipment in Canada. Huge selection of the best gym equipment for sale. Treadmill Factory, your fitness equipment store since 1988. Shop now!

thanks!!!

Yes, This wall unit will mount to a wall just as it is. some of use bracing wood behind the metal, kind of like a buffer between the metal and the wall, but it is not absolutely necessarily. Just make sure the vertical mounts line up on studs behind the wall.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BangEmBeatZ
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2014

Mine is a Cement basment wall so all i need is 4 anchor screws correct?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Mine is a Cement basement wall so all i need is 4 anchor screws correct?
                    I think You will need an anchor and screw or bolt for every hole in the vertical angle iron that attaches to the wall. I'd also suggest the screw or bolt goes at least two or more inches into the wall.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BangEmBeatZ
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Dec 2014

Ok thanks. I was planning on going 3 and a half inches in. I am going to be retro fitting it so its quieter and a nicer rebound. this video only i might add 2 of the round wood to the platform instead of 1. What do you think ?.....

Improve the quality of your speed bag workouts with a new drum & swivel --
 The DEVILLE D-21 FLUSH-MOUNTED SWIVEL AND SPEED BAG DRUM.Contact Dee at: DevilleS...

are these the anchors I need? I really have no clue when it comes to tools. To be honest its making my physically ill worrying that I wont be able to mount a speed bag in my basement. Its all I got to look forward to in life right now!!!! And im addicted to the speed bag already!! :s

Last edited by BangEmBeatZ; 12-16-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Ok thanks. I was planning on going 3 and a half inches in. I am going to be retro fitting it so its quieter and a nicer rebound. this video only i might add 2 of the round wood to the platform instead of 1. What do you think ?.....

The DEVILLE D-21 FLUSH-MOUNTED SWIVEL AND SPEED BAG DRUM.Contact Dee at: DevilleS...

are these the anchors I need? I really have no clue when it comes to tools. To be honest its making my physically ill worrying that I wont be able to mount a speed bag in my basement. Its all I got to look forward to in life right now!!!! And im addicted to the speed bag already!! :s

http://www.lowes.ca/search/Tapcon-concrete-anchors.html
                        The type of "anchors" you use depends on the type of concrete wall you have. You might have a concrete block construction (hollow) or a solid concrete wall or brick. I would suggest you look at different types of concrete anchors. I'm no expert on that either so here are some suggestions.

Video discusses good masonry anchors and fasteners to be used on brick, cinder block and cement. Explains use of multiple anchors and fasteners for masonry.S...

TOOLS and Tapcon Products You Will Need...Hammer Drill: https://amzn.to/2Yu1qpNMasonry Bit Set: https://amzn.to/2HWe3o6Tapcon Screws: https://amzn.to/2TZG...

Short video on how to use Tapcon concrete screws. Purchase https://www.confast.com/concrete-screws/

Concrete anchors are a heavy duty anchor for fixing objects to masonry surfaces. Here we use a thru bolt to demonstrate how to fix a piece of wood to a concr...

How to install concrete wedge anchors. https://www.confast.com/products-wedge/

hope these helps
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BangEmBeatZ
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2014

Thanks big help. Can barrow a hammer drill from my dad. I think the hardest part besides the money for drill bit anchors, 2 round wood for retro fit and screws is the hanging corretly. On disability so dont have much to spend but want to make sure I do it right and have a quality design installed correctly. Im a speedbag addict now and have to have one!!!! lol Thanks again.

Comment

• BangEmBeatZ
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Dec 2014

I just picked this up......

and the 5/16 2 1/2 inch anchors dont fit through the bracket holes by the smallest amount. Is it possible to use the drill bit i got that matched the anchors to widen the bracket holes. only need to widen them by a smidgion!!??

Comment

• BangEmBeatZ
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Dec 2014

Nevermind Figured it out. installing tomorrow with the retro fit 24 inch round 1 1/4 inch thick add on to the .75 inch platform. Got a Title speed bag and Deville swivel coming in the mail and should be here any day. Cant wait to get it going.

If anyone has not seen the retro fit this is the video. Turned a $80 cheap platform into a $300 platform. just not as pretty to look at. Noise and vibration deductions is worth the retro fit on its own. Im tossing a 7kg bag of cat litter on the top and should have practically no vibration or complaints from anyone in the house while im working out on thebag!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

If anyone has not seen the retro fit this is the video. Turned a $80 cheap platform into a $300 platform. just not as pretty to look at. Noise and vibration deductions is worth the retro fit on its own. Im tossing a 7kg bag of cat litter on the top and should have practically no vibration or complaints from anyone in the house while im working out on thebag!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_fLCe1NtPM
                                The cat litter on top is a great touch. My cats loved laying up there on top of the board. I guess the vibration felt good to them, so they would lay up there and purr their little paws off.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...