• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag and Rehabilitation

Here is another inspirational post about little known but important activities with the speed bag. I think the greater speed bag community needs to be included.

Over the years, I have made a wide variety of contacts in many areas concerning the speed bag. Personally I have long promoted the restorative and rehabilitative potential of the speed bag and its rhythmic punching. Quietly behind the scenes, fellow speed baggers (maybe not forum members, but believe me, they are brothers of the bag) are doing what they can, using their own sphere of influence to try and make a difference. A few days ago, I received this email from a long time speed baggin' friend of mine in Seattle Washington.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Dr. M Astion <washington.edu> wrote:

Alan,
    I hope your rehab is going well. I was able to successfully donate (and have installed) an excellent speed bag set up at Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center in Seattle. It is in the rehab gym. It is one of those adjustable models good for wheelchair height through a tall person.

The teenagers are loving it, which is what the rehab people predicted. I have given 2 train the trainer sessions to the rehab aides there, and I started working with a kid in a wheelchair who is just getting enough strength back in his arms to hit the bag. We are using an 7 x 10 Everlast leather bag.

This is all very exciting, and I wanted to thank you for all the help you have giving me. I am giving a kid the copy of the speed bag bible and the 2 hour training program DVD.

Your work is an inspiration to many, and I hope you are back to full strength.

Sincerely,
    Mike

M. Astion, MD, PhD
    Associate Professor
    Director, Reference Laboratory Services
    Dept. Laboratory Medicine
    Univ. of Washington

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I cannot tell you how happy this makes me. Dr. Astion, a long time friend and gifted speed bagger in his own right, is going the extra mile to make a difference in these kids lives. He has been working on this idea undaunted for over two years, looking for the right contacts and opportunity.

Great thanks to you mike, for your work, and Many thanks to the Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center in Seattle for believing in him and the speed bag.

For ME, it just doesn't get any better than this

looks like a visit to seattle is in the cards.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 03-20-2007, 09:28 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

Amazing!!!
    Also i have another question about rehab with the speed bag. I am a baseball pitcher for an Ontario team in Canada and have problems with tendinitis and other soreness in my elbow and shoulder would you suggest the speed bag to help this and what would be some specifics about the workout that would help?
    ________
    korean girl Cam
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

rehab with speed bag

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
      Amazing!!!
      Also i have another question about rehab with the speed bag. I am a baseball pitcher for an Ontario team in Canada and have problems with tendinitis and other soreness in my elbow and shoulder would you suggest the speed bag to help this and what would be some specifics about the workout that would help?

In the situation you describe, I'm not sure the speed bag is the best choice of activity when you're shoulder or elbow is symptomatic. If your elbow and shoulder are activity painful, or swollen, then the speed bag would be "contraindicated" which is doctor-speak for "not recommended". The speed bag fist punching movements are very elbow intensive, in that your rapidly and repetitively extending the joint under varying loads (force) and full force punching is not going to help an elbow that is already sore or injured. Same for the shoulder, particular with the elbow strikes. In my own painful shoulder experience, I can tell you that speed bag punching really hurts if you have a deep labral tear or actual rotator cuff injury, and many pitchers have rotator cuff problems.

The best advice I would offer is to use the speed bag to work out when these joints are NOT injured, to build the supporting muscles. IF your speed bag work aggravates either joint, leave it alone, or at least back off to very light handed movements. For the speed bag fanatic, (oh not me...)I think that SLOW speed bag punching is better than NO speed bag punching, but if the movements cause pain, the smart thing to do is stop. Espcecially if you make a living pitching. You have to protect your career, so use the bag more in the off season and pay attention to your joints so you back off when the punching causes pain.

For variations, you might try smaller lighter bags, for they will give you a little more speed with less physical effort. I can keep an 8x5 going fairly fast with much less effort than is required toto maintain the same speed with a 11x8 bag.

here are some links for you that might help.

Pitching "prehab"

pitchingaids.com

pitching information setpro.com

I can list a bunch of medical rehab links if you want.
      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2006

thank Alan for the quick response
        Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        I can list a bunch of medical rehab links if you want.
        and that would be great if you could do that. thanks alot
        ________
        Live sex webshows
        Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

rehabilitation

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
          thank Alan for the quick response

and that would be great if you could do that. thanks alot
          Maybe these will help.

Concepts of Rehabilitation of the overhead throwing athletes

Stress distribution in the superior labrum during throwing motion * click the right sidebar to find more links to related articles.

Rehabilitation of the thrower's elbow

Current concepts in the rehabilitation of the overhead throwing athlete.

Assessment of shoulder strength in professional baseball pitchers

Pitching tips, mechanics

Rehabilitation of the Overhead athlete_slides

A Functional Fatiguing Protocol and Deceleration Time of the Shoulder... * pretty intense science

Clinical Measures of Shoulder Mobility in Professional Baseball Players *pdf file.

find your own topic... If you're so inclined. Lots of research articles on many topis

Pitching topics from Coaching Science Abstracts

Happy reading.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

Thanks alot Alan you have been a great help. I am amazed how much knowledge you have about the world of sports. Thanks Again
            ________
            What temperature does the iolite
            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I wish I could live up to your praise about sports, BN, but the real secret is in the search engines, and maybe knowing where to look online for the information. There's lots of medical info if you're into that.

Hope some of it helps you.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Childrens Hospital and Regional Medical Center

Just a quick update to the Speed Bag Community about the ongoing efforts in Seattle Washington by a dedicated brother of the bag:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Alan,

...Things are really going great. I went to Children's yesterday and worked with 2 kids.

Regarding the training: Can some quadriplegics be expected to hit it with an elbow? For two of the kids I am working with, it just does not seem like it is going to be easy. This is an important question, because elbows give variety, and variety keeps you on the bag for a long time, and that is the key to both a good workout and the emotional release that comes from striking. I tried something yesterday which has some promise. I used a stick (actually a sawed-kid's golf putter) and executed an inward stick-fist, that was analogous to the inward fist-elbow double strike. You can also come in nicely from the side with the stick, and hitting with the stick is quite satisfying. Although quads often don't have a great grip, their ability to grip with the thumb and forefinger would allow them to execute this maneuver and add tremendous variety to the workout without being able to hit an elbow. My general impression that the use of sticks, and perhaps some kind of extension device velcroed to the elbow would benefit many of the patients, especially those who are more limited. I can envision some kind of aid package that we could give them, when they are discharged including an autographed bag or perhaps two bags (I just gave my first bag away to a kid to be discharged soon. It is a 7 x 10 leather, red Everlast (my favorite))., some sticks, elbow extenstions, handwraps, a copy of the speed bag bible and dvd, and recommendations for purchasing equipment at a discount.

Since my early impact at Children's is on the inpatient rehab, I am going to be seeing many quadriplegics so it is important to give them the best possible workout and recommend the right equipment. Any references you like about rehabilitation of quadriplegics would be appreciated and I can pick them up through the UW library.

There is so much we can do here. One thing that is clear to me is that the approach to make it grow is a train the trainer approach where the trainee is a quadriplegic. That would be unbelievably inspirational to other quadriplegics who are earlier in their rehab. I can envision donating adjustable Balazs speed bag setups to hospitals and YMCAs (and other gyms, ?Gold's) so there are many wheel-chair accessible places for them to hit.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Alan,

Right now I am working with two teenage boys in wheelchairs. I am sure there will be interest in documenting these recoveries.
                ..One question that has already come up, and will continue to come up is the best unit for these families to purchase for their homes. Can you remind me of the unit you liked that was not a wall mounted unit, but did go floor to ceiling. That is the best fit for one of the two families that asked me. They are interested in purchasing it and see it as something the kid can do, as well as his friends (hence the need for an adjustable unit. The unit at Children's has the Balasz floor to ceiling, wall mounted unit and this is very good. I am using an Everlast 7 x 10 leather bag with a high quality swivel. I gave one kid my last extra copy of the Speed Bag Bible and he was very thrilled about it. I would like to start a fund at Children's where we can give each departing patient a speedbag, the SpeedBag Bible book and 2 hour DVD, and a handout with recommendations for what speedbag set up to purchase. I have alot of other ideas as well, but I need to take it slow.
                One thing I am already convinced about is that you are correct in your belief that this is an amazing rehab device for the wheel-chair bound. I think it actually gives them some hope and a good emotional outlet. I am certainly going to start reading about rehab and ordered some books today. Once I am more established, a visit by you would be a great inspiration and a good time.

Sincerely,

Mike
                Michael Astion, MD, PhD
                Associate Professor
                Director, Reference Laboratory Services
                Dept. Laboratory Medicine
                Univ. of Washington

++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is ground breaking stuff. There is a need developing for an affordable freestanding speed bag frame that can come down low enough for a small child (8-10) sitting in a wheelchair. There is no unit available currently that I can find that allows the board to adjust low enough. At least not for under $1000.00. Most "home gym" models on boxing sites will adjust about a foot or so, but will not go down low enough for a person seated in a chair, AND have a clear floor space for the wheelchair. Any talented equipment designers with insight, ideas and ability to fabricate lightweight steel may have an opening to make a difference here.

The only cost effective free-standing system that I've ever used that came close to adjusting low enough was this one by Ringside

But sadly, it was discontinued over five years ago. . +++++ As the song says, "they did a bad, bad thing..."

If anybody locates one for under $500 or $600, please post a link so I can contact them.

thanks.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roscoe
                  • May 2006

Question:

Let me ask you this: Are you looking for a unit that will adjust to the full height as well as to the lower level you speak of?

Reason I ask is if this unit is for lower level use only...a good welder could cut a section out of a free standing unit (like sporting goods stores sell) and re-weld it to any height you want it to be. Probably get away with it for around $200 including the price of the unit.

My two cents.

Roscoe
                  Last edited by Roscoe; 03-29-2007, 12:34 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag treatment program

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                    Let me ask you this: Are you looking for a unit that will adjust to the full height as well as to the lower level you speak of?

Reason I ask is if this unit is for lower level use only...a good welder could cut a section out of a free standing unit (like sporting goods stores sell) and re-weld it to any height you want it to be. Probably get away with it for around $200 including the price of the unit.

My two cents.

Roscoe
                    Great idea, and that would work for an "individual", but I'm not sure that would be the best programmatic answer for 3-5 patients a month discharging from this rehab hospital program. What is needed is a reliable option as a HOME speed bag unit that either the rehab team or family could order (at discount) without modification. Something like the Balazs 2-station UBS2 for a freestanding unit, ( which can be customized by ordering the Double End Bag rather than heavybag, or just the speed bag..) or their
                    SPB24 vertical pole wall unit. (* this is actually the unit installed in the medical center).

This equipment works great and looks great. The I-Box system would also work, but would probably need a little more range in it's height adjustment. Great Price, though.

Remember, these families are looking at many thousands of Dollars in medical costs and lifelong aftercare.

Many ideas are in the works. Stay tuned.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...