• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag - Outrageous Act of Science

So, remember back in March 2015 several speed bag forum members spent a week in Reno, nevada

(http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6157).

A few of us were hanging out, clowning around and MsDeville made this video:

Alan Kahn, renowned Speed Bag Aficionado for over 40 years, demonstrating a few punching combinations for his loyal subjects.Recorded on March 13, 2015 in Re...

and this clip got passed around online a bit, (getting 30.5 million views so far via a share by Muay Thai Authority. On their FaceBook Page.

Anyway, somewhere along the line a producer for the show "outrageous acts of science" for the Discovery channel out of UK saw the video and contact myself and MsDeville about the video. Over the next few months I was asked to send some video footage of speed bag punching to their show (via dropbox), for consideration. The last I heard from them was in November 2015. Until today, with this email:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 11:01 AM, Producer <name.removed@octoberfilms.co.uk> wrote:

Hope you are well.

Thanks again for being part of the show!

We just wanted to say congratulations as your clip will be featured on Outrageous Act of Science – Season 4.

The show is airing this Saturday (02/20/16) on the Science channel at 9pm EST, 8pm CST

Thank you again for all your help and co-operation and we hope you enjoy the show!

Kind regards,

xxxx
    Assistant Producer

You Have Been Warned/Outrageous Acts of Science - Discovery Channel

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now that looks straight forward, BUT... Feb 20 2016 appears to be Season 5,

Brain vs. Brawn
    TV Episode
    Smashing fruit with a 9-inch nail launcher; creating and destroying a giant sandcastle; kissing cobras.
    Show: Outrageous Acts of Science
    Season number: 5
    Episode number: 8

Air date: February 20, 2016
    Previous episode: Wild Rides
    Next episode: Killer Builds

BUT.... the outrageous acts of science episodes are show on Discovery channel in some places and on the Science Channel in others.

Color me confused but It's good to know that speed bagging as "we" know it was found worthy enough to be an "outrageous act of science."

So, if you get this show in your area you might check it out, Saturday, Feb 20 at 9pm CST, 8pm CST. Personally I'll be watching channel 136 locally (science channel) to see what's up at that time.

@@ I suppose being an outrageous act of science is better than being a stupid human trick on the late show with David Letterman.

...or - ALMOST being a stupid human trick on the late show Speed Bag WAS in the house, and on the set, ....just not used.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Speedbag; 02-19-2016, 12:58 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Recording it now

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Recording it now
      #12 of the countdown

"Brains vs Brawn"
      Last edited by Speedbag; 02-21-2016, 09:34 AM.
      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Recording it now
        Hoping you can post it...I don't have cable TV!
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Try this link https://www.discoverygo.com/outrageo...rain-vs-brawn/

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Try this link https://www.discoverygo.com/outrageo...rain-vs-brawn/

Whoops. Must have a cable provider to log in, sorry, working on it

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Saw it...that was quick...and they were talking about Alan's brain? I guess that's why it was such a short piece!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                Saw it...that was quick...and they were talking about Alan's brain? I guess that's why it was such a short piece!
                that's not what my wife said, but close....

It was interesting to watch scientists who know nothing of what they are talking about (ie, no actual experience) trying to explain it. As if they eyes and tracking the bag had anything to do with it

(note to physicists: Speed bag punching is an auditory experience and the ears give much more information than they eyes for control purposes. )
                Last edited by Speedbag; 02-23-2016, 05:24 PM.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• drag-on389
                  • May 2014

[QUOTE=Speedbag;51156] that's not what my wife said, but close....

It was interesting to watch scientists who know nothing of what they are talking about (ie, no actual experience) trying to explain it. As if they eyes and tracking the bag had anything to do with it

I believe hitting the bag with any proficiency involves more than one of our senses. I know you can do some things on the speed bag solely relying on your ears. Now if your are hitting from all around the bag, I think we are using more than one of our senses. We are relying on auditory , visual and tactile clues to enable us to hit the bag with any degree of proficiency. Even muscle memory comes into play when hitting the speed bag. This is just my humble opinion.
                  Last edited by drag-on389; 02-23-2016, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

[QUOTE=drag-on389;51160]
                    Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    that's not what my wife said, but close....

I believe hitting the bag with any proficiency involves more than one of our senses. I know you can do some things on the speed bag solely relying on your ears. Now if your are hitting from all around the bag, I think we are using more than one of our senses. We are relying on auditory , visual and tactile clues to enable us to hit the bag with any degree of proficiency. Even muscle memory comes into play when hitting the speed bag. This is just my humble opinion.
                    You are very right on all counts. It is a total sensory experience, and the explanation on the show also lends to your statement, however - they did tend to discuss the visual tracking more than any other, ...and to me (at least) the visual cues of a fast moving bag are the least important (to me). Many of us can hit the speed bag fairly well blind folded, which lends itself to timing and the importance of repetitive muscle memory. But I will attest that for me, the quality of (1) my fist contact on the bag and (2) the sound of the rebound/swivel tell me more about what is happening than anything else.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• drag-on389
                      • May 2014

[QUOTE=Speedbag;51161]
                      Originally posted by drag-on389 View Post

You are very right on all counts. It is a total sensory experience, and the explanation on the show also lends to your statement, however - they did tend to discuss the visual tracking more than any other, ...and to me (at least) the visual cues of a fast moving bag are the least important (to me). Many of us can hit the speed bag fairly well blind folded, which lends itself to timing and the importance of repetitive muscle memory. But I will attest that for me, the quality of (1) my fist contact on the bag and (2) the sound of the rebound/swivel tell me more about what is happening than anything else.

I am hoping to one day see the show. You are correct in everything you say, but at the end of the day it is still a total sensory experience.Some of us can hit the speed bag fairly well blindfolded, but not as well as when we use most of our senses . I for one am not one of them. Lol. So even though some of our senses give us more clues as to what is going on . It's the combination of all of them that brings out the best in us.
                      Last edited by drag-on389; 02-26-2016, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• drag-on389
                        • May 2014

I was able to share outrageous acts of science brain vs brawn to the forum. Speedbag aka Alan Khan is on episode 12. If anybody can make only episode 12 show, please do so.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...