• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Timer - now testing with voice for boxing style workouts

Hi all, I'm experimenting with a few new features for the free workout timer.

One request that comes up repeatedly is to have the timer call out random combinations, that the trainee would throw during shadow boxing and/or heavy bag workout or DE bag workout.

I've implemented a rough prototype here : http://speedbagforum.com/timerbeta.html

The "Virtual Coach" option has 4 different levels: Basic - single punches called out at random and at a deliberately leisure pace, Combos - some (but not all) of the classic combinations, and Random - random strings of multiple punches that may or may not make sense - such as Uppercut, Jab, Jab , for example. Finally, Advanced provides a randomly selected combo followed by up to 4 randomly selected punches.

There's also a "Pace" option that ranges from Slow to Fast to Insanity.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts and feedback. I always blew the idea off as being somewhat gimmicky, but having done a few quick workouts with it, it seems like it might be of interest at least to some of the more casual trainees. At age 37 I don't intend to ever get in the ring, but I like the boxing style workout because it keeps it interesting and staves off boredom. Having these voice commands seems like it keeps the pace kicked up a bit. I guess the target trainee I have in mind is some older guy or young kid working out on his own or in his garage ... and obviously with a computer or laptop nearby.

A few of my own thoughts:
    1. I'm not using the normal convention of punch numbering , i.e. the old 1-2 combination. I think that's confusing for beginners. I'd rather hear "Jab, Cross" than "1,2" personally, but again I'm a casual trainee (at best) with little formal instruction. Maybe that's too far out of sync with real boxing training and needs to be changed.
    2. The non number system I'm using assumes a traditional stance boxer. Sorry southpaws.
    3. I've not got all the combinations programmed in yet.

I guess what I'm asking is if any of you would find this useful, please give it a try and let me know your feedback. What needs to be changed or done differently?
  • Tim

• Jan 2006

I've now got an option for "Numbers" or "Words"

Comment

• David Obeid
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2007

Hi Tim,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the timer to make any sounds (rounds, coach, bells etc).

Help?

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Obeid View Post
        Hi Tim,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the timer to make any sounds (rounds, coach, bells etc).

Help?
        David, what browser and operating system are you using ? I've tested with Windows XP, Windows 7 with IE7, IE8, FireFox, Safari. I've tested on Mac with FireFox and Safari.

Comment

• David Obeid
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2007

Oops, that could have something to do with it

I was using google chrome.

Will try with Firefox.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Obeid View Post
            Oops, that could have something to do with it

I was using google chrome.

Will try with Firefox.
            David, try with Chrome 3.0 , if you can. I tested that today on Windows XP SP3 and it seemed to work , sound and all. I know the sound did not work with the previous version of Chrome.

It should definitely work with FireFox as well.

Comment

• David Obeid
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2007

Worked great with Firefox.

I downloaded Chrome 3.0 (I'm running Vista Home Premium) and I only get very few sounds come through.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...