• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Jeet Kune Do and the Speed Bag

Examples of how speed bag training applies to Jeet Kune Do. Shot at the Real Gymm in Keyport, NJ during the SPEED B.A.G. III gathering. All the greats were there; Alan Kahn, Tim Platt, Speed Bag Skunk, SpeedBagAtaraxis, G-Town & many more!

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Most amazing part is: This was totally unscripted. Sifu George Hajnasr, Jeet Kune Do master also has our speed bag addiction, (....we have communicated about it for many months) and he wanted to demonstrate the real applications to the basic of our "Bible Style" punching from all around with fists and elbows. As many know, a wide variety of people (...mostly boxers) think this style and our movements are "fancy" but no relevant to anything.

Sifu disagrees, and says thay are completely relevant and wanted to demonstrate this on video for his students. He has six speed bags in his training facility.

This was a ONE TAKE ad-lib, graciously filmed by Za Za, and unrehearsed by anyone else (except, of course, Sifu, who had been doing his movements for many many years - As the video clearly shows.)
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• GHAJNASR
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Nov 2011

Thank you Mr Kahn for the Kind words.I have been hitting the bag for 20 years the boxers way .Yes it has good reasons why Boxers do it,but no relevant to what I was teaching , the day I saw you hit I was hooked and I can picture every movement every hit as a Self defense technique and how it was so important to learn the BIBLE STYLE bagging and I am so glad I did..
      Last edited by GHAJNASR; 07-20-2012, 12:01 AM.
      Peace,Love,Speed bag.

Comment

• Allentown
        • Oct 2010

That Sifu has some really fast hands

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Allentown View Post
          You're not kiddin'...even in person I couldn't believe how fast he is!
          (...and thankfully, his son has a good sense of humor, his neck & ears were bright red after the demo...)
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yes....and that is why he holds the rank of "Sifu". 30+ years of intense, dedicated training, same basic moves over and over and over..., to make it look so fast, easy and effortless.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Allentown
              • Oct 2010

And you wouldn't think he was fast from looking at him. Amazing. Not as fast as Bruce Lee though. LOL

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

And you wouldn't think he was fast from looking at him. Amazing. Not as fast as Bruce Lee though. LOL
                ah, looks can be SOOooo very deceiving, can't they. Master Bruce was in a league of his own, but Sifu Hajnasr is definitely a credit to that legacy, in life, technique and speed.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

BRAVO! This is what I'm talking about! The bag hones many skills

Comment

• sakis
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Apr 2012

Awesome!!!!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

great footage! The speed has forever been associated with boxers as a training tool: which it is.. but when advance techniques are applied, boxers say that stuff isn't very helpful in the ring. Maybe that is somewhat true to an extent.. but those techniques are very advantageous in the martial arts world..
                      MMA is so popular now it's almost beyond obvious to see how useful advanced speed bagging techniques are.
                      BAG ON!

Comment

• chippy
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jul 2012

i bumble around the forum (and net in general ) and have just found this, computer skills arnt my foray lol

thanks for posting this, its very interesting to me, i had no idea there was perhaps opposing views to how to use the speed ball/bag, the other day i happened to ask a question in relation to correct height of the speed ball (i'm just a normal bloke, not from boxing or martial arts background), i just stumbled onto the ,apparent but unexplained, differences from watching a vid of Alan and a vid of someone showing/teaching boxing style, i was a bit confused so thought i would ask, hope i didnt upset anyone in the "bible' camp (not my intention), i just thought speed balls were speed balls and was wondering what was the correct height to set the ball at

from an amateur ,or newbe POV, after some ppl hinted at boxing vs bible style i was wondering if i upset anyone by asking the question (or if it was nearly a religion lol), ppl seemed a little "off" or reluctant to answer my questions you might say since i asked (again not intentional!). i had to think about and draw my own conclusions, i figured having the bag up higher had it benefits, in as much as boxers need (nah MUST) to be able to keep their hands up no matter how exhausted they are and the speed ball is a good tool for that, i also figured that moving around instead of standing in one place helps with their structure and overall that training style would bring into play more muscle groups which for me ,someone who needs to rehabilitate and even though i can move about kinda ok now i still have some knee problems (so my favoured sport cycling is out, considering i was a qualified physical fitness trainer, medic and qualified high level coach the shoe is on the other foot now, eek!), so i thought it might be a useful style to practice

on the other hand i didnt discount bible style (heck i ordered the book!) because i thought there must be something to it, still a good cardio workout i assume, kinda fun (which is important!) and rhythmic, i dont see the point in trying to obtain super speed, thats for the young blokes, nor do i intend to take up martial arts but i also dont intend to take up boxing so both end games are equally irrelevant to me, it did occur to me that bible style would be good in mimicking styles for close in street fighting and brawls but since i am too old for that **** (lethal weapon quote) now its not something i want to practice for! i'm more a lover than a fighter or at least i prefer to be a lover over a fighter .

i figure boxing style is elegant (or ugly if your no good lol) and is the ultimate is upper body fitness (speed ball related) and bible style is more dynamic, rhythmic and will produce a good cardio workout too but probably less than boxing style

that guy in the vid is f a s t , super awesome, hate to meet him in a dark ally in days gone past, before you could say g'day he'd punch in the mouth 15 times , he does show some relevant moves of the bible style though eh!

cheers
                        chippy

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Hey Chippy... no need to worry about a thing with your questions... Speed baggers are the coolest ever! As long as you're baggin', ya ain't laggin'!
                          I think we all learn a few punches that are beyond the basics and it gets exciting and we all move from there... but at the same time, most of us agree the first time you see Ali or Rocky Balboa hittin' a bag, you are enamored with it in its basic form; a training tool for boxers...
                          why? cuz it is! It's badass no matter how you slice it..
                          and the truth is,
                          ... We all end up spending time on the advanced stuff, but then when it's time to get "Stacy 'Stay Lo' Reile" on the bag, we lack a bit....
                          (I'll include her video to show what I mean)
                          It is tons of fun learning the advanced stuff... but it IS a great work out going for basic boxer punch style power, stamina, and endurance..
                          Try to hit 30 seconds straight at your most comfy "rope pulling style" without a mis hit..... then try it for 60 seconds... it's not easy...
                          then do the same with the RR, LL "straight/ stab" combo... same thing... it aint' easy and it is a great upper body workout...
                          Point is... it's all great.... the bag is the ultimate controlled chaos... and the more "Bible Style" technique, the more accuracy you need, and the more focus on the unknown .... which for MMA training is awesome...
                          I don't box, I dont' do mma, I hit drums... but after my first two weeks on the bag, I sat down for a gig on drums and my equilibrium felt more solid and centered... it was pretty cool cuz I was 40 at the time! After 32 years of playing drums I would have never thought I'd feel that ... and it was all due to speed baggin....
                          Oh yeah... hitting a bag that is too high for the normal Bible style is still a great training tool ... yes.. it's higher.. and it takes a bit more strength to build up stamina and endurance. It's like sprint running vs uphill or cross country... they all get you to the next level....
                          anyhow.. Bag it up.. BAG ON.. and Get BAGIFIED!

Comment

• chippy
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jul 2012

ah.. truly well said SSP, i love your enthusiasm too, its inspiring! you could be my coach

so when are they going to make speed baggin an olympic sport

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

Actually there is a process that we could go through to make it a demonstration sport. My understanding is that it has become quiet the difficult process now owing to the fact that it got out of hand in the later part of the Twentieth Century. http://www.topendsports.com/events/d...inued/demo.htm

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...